E-mail from a soldier

Interesting e-mail posted on Andrew Sullivan's blog.

It doesn't resolve all of my concerns about the president's processes, but it makes the war blunders seem a whole lot more digestable. Now if he would only take responsibility...

"I was stationed at a base (Al Taqqadum) South-West of Fallujah that we took over from the 82nd Airborne. Your writing about the Abu Graib prompted me write this. It is an explanation of why so many in the military favor Bush, even though we are the ones suffering the most because of his mistakes:

It is an old military maxim that blunders can be forgiven, but a lack of boldness cannot. There will always be blunders. The simple becomes difficult in war. Take for example the following question: what is 2+2 equal too? An easy question right? Now imagine I gave you 15 such questions and you had 2 seconds to answer them. Most likely you would answer some and leave the rest. Looking at those questions you missed in isolation I might say, "What kind of blathering idiot are you? You can't even answer simple questions like 2+2=4". That is why Armchair Generals are so annoying. They look at one thing in isolation with all the time in the world to think about it and say confidently "the answers obvious". But when you are out in the fight everything looks different. Nothing is ever seen in isolation. You never have enough time. You never know more than 1/10 what you need to know. There will always be blunders.

But the job has to get done anyway. And to get this kind of job done boldness is essential. A leader who never blunders, but who doesn't take the fight to the enemy is worthless. A leader who sets about to win - win ugly if needs be - is priceless.

One thing the Marine Corps taught me is that a 70% solution acted on immediately and violently is better than a perfect solution acted on later. My experience has proven this true time and again. The sad fact is however, that a 70% solution is a 30% mistake. And those mistakes can be hard to take. In WWII for example, 700 soldiers drowned in a training accident in preparation for D-Day (that is about how many combat deaths we've experienced so far in Iraq).

There is a scene in the movie "We were Soldiers" that says it better than I can. In the scene a young soldier on the ground is giving directions on enemy positions to aircraft flying overhead. The aircraft then dropped Napalm on the enemy. At one point the soldier gets the directions wrong and stares horrified as the Napalm is dropped on his own unit. The soldier is shaken beyond belief. He sat there doing nothing - paralyzed by his mistake. Then his Commanding Officer gave him the confidence to carry on. The CO told him to "forget about that last one" and "you're keeping us alive here". And so the soldier swallowed his guilt and kept doing his job and thereby saved the unit. That is what a 70% solution looks like in real life. And those are the 70% solutions that win wars.

Most people and events are beyond your control. Most questions you don't have time to answer. Most facts you will never know. But you have to press the attack anyway. No matter how ugly it gets, you keep going until you win.

Kerry doesn't understand that. Everything he did during the Cold War and everything he says about this one states as much. He represents those who would never blunder, but who would not take the fight to the enemy. He would just sit there - like the soldier in the movie - paralyzed by America's mistakes."

And the wonderful thing about humanity is that you could have 5 people see the same thing and get 5 different interpretations.

For every soldier's letter like this you'll find one that's extremely critical of the Administration. I ought to know, we receive them at our house.

We have the luxury of hindsight to review Vietnam and the Cold War (I think Kerry was a little young to do much about the worst of the Cold War in the late 50's and early 60's by the way).

I'm not dismissing this guy's letter. But it's just one soldier. I'm glad it makes you feel better. But there are about 134,999, or more, other stories. Plus, if you care, the stories of the Iraqis as well.

And the wonderful thing about humanity is that you could have 5 people see the same thing and get 5 different interpretations.

For every soldier's letter like this you'll find one that's extremely critical of the Administration.  I ought to know, we receive them at our house.

We have the luxury of hindsight to review Vietnam and the Cold War (I think Kerry was a little young to do much about the worst of the Cold War in the late 50's and early 60's by the way).

I'm not dismissing this guy's letter.  But it's just one soldier. I'm glad it makes you feel better.  But there are about 134,999, or more, other stories.  Plus, if you care, the stories of the Iraqis as well.

76698[/snapback]

And yet they support the President at a 3-1 rate. Amazing that it's one for one in the letter department.

For every soldier's letter like this you'll find one that's extremely critical of the Administration. I ought to know, we receive them at our house.

I'd be interested in you posting some of those. Not the ones you get at your house. Just post an email out there from someone in the war who thinks what they're doing is a mistake. If there really are that many soldiers over there wanting to get the hell out...they should be plentiful.

Can you post some?

For every soldier's letter like this you'll find one that's extremely critical of the Administration.  I ought to know, we receive them at our house.

I'm not dismissing this guy's letter.  But it's just one soldier. I'm glad it makes you feel better.  But there are about 134,999, or more, other stories.  Plus, if you care, the stories of the Iraqis as well.

76698[/snapback]

Ummm.... when exactlty do you think the Cold War ended??? And when do you think it was at its worst?

blzrul, thank you for your perspective.

76698[/snapback]

I understand the point this guys trying to make, but it doesn't exactly flow well with me. How can you compare a war-time enviroment with political decision making?

Bush didn't have 30 seconds to think about the war in Iraq. He wasn't give 15 very simple questions and asked to decide on them in 2 seconds. His decision was thought out. It was calculated. He spent months arguing with the world and trying to convince the country that we had to go to war.

Whether you believe it was right to go to war or not, saying he had to make a snap decision just isn't true.

I will agree on the hindsight vision, but that is the case for every President, Congressman, buisness owner, and NFL head coach. A President isn't going to get a break from scrutiny just because he had some tough decisions to make.

And yet they support the President at a 3-1 rate. Amazing that it's one for one in the letter department.

From my experience with members of the military money plays a big part in who they vote for. Not just paychecks, which tend to make larger increases under republicans, but also for equipment, manning, etc...

Saying they support Bush is also another way to be patriotic. They are fighting, and dying in Iraq. Better to believe they are fighting and dying for something.

These are good reasons to vote for one candidate over another, but I'd say if they could have the money and get the hell out of the sandbox at the same time, they would take that option.

And yet they support the President at a 3-1 rate.  Amazing that it's one for one in the letter department.

76707[/snapback]

Has anyone polled the military in Iraq?

It is going to be very interesting to see how those guys vote in this election compared with the military vote in previous elections.

From my experience with members of the military money plays a big part in who they vote for.  Not just paychecks, which tend to make larger increases under republicans, but also for equipment, manning, etc...

Saying they support Bush is also another way to be patriotic.  They are fighting, and dying in Iraq.  Better to believe they are fighting and dying for something.

These are good reasons to vote for one candidate over another, but I'd say if they could have the money and get the hell out of the sandbox at the same time, they would take that option.

76903[/snapback]

As a current member of the military (although I haven't yet deployed to Iraq), I partially agree with your comment. I think in past peaceful years, many military members have voted with their pocketbook. However, in this present state when we are engaged in a war that I feel will last a generation, I don't think this is a valid observation. Nobody wants to be at war, but my experience in the Marine Corps is that we understand what's at stake and why we're fighting. The dynamic has changed this election cycle. The close friends of mine who have been there and fought completely understand the importance of having strong purposeful leadership.

Sure, we're patriotic, but we believe what we're doing is something that needs to be done. Voting this year isn't about a paycheck, but about a leader who will see that the sacrifices made by our fellow countrymen aren't a waste.

Please don't discount the opinions of the Marine in the 1st post. He echos the feelings of many. To add a quote that I recently read that goes hand in hand with his observations "All it takes for evil to prevail if for good men to do nothing".

That is what I feel we'll get if we get JK a a President. Inaction

Sent: Wednesday, September 01, 2004 4:18 PM

Subject: Soldiers helping the children of Mosul, Iraq

Friends,

I wanted to apprise you of a few things that might help you understand some of my fears and frustrations.

Did you know that American citizens at the Republican National Convetion last night were wearing band-aids with Purple Hearts on them to mock veterans (i.e. Kerry) who were lightly wounded? I'm in a bunker in Mosul, Iraq, getting mortared daily, and I have to watch my countrymen wearing Purple Heart Band-aids and getting coverage on CNN, MSNBC, and FOX?

Did you know that two nights ago, our combat support hospital took in two casualties from an IED (improvised explosive device, a road side bomb)? One kid had two broken legs, a broken arm, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. The other kid was trapped in the vehicle and burned to death. Have you ever seen a burnt human body? It's a sight you won't forget and the smell never leaves you.

I wish I could reach out to those fine Americans at the Republican National Convention and make then see what I've seen; I would show them all of the wounds and injuries our surgeons, nurses, and medics have treated. American soldiers are dying over here, and those at the convention have the temerity to mock us? While the balloons drop and the banners wave, somebody's son is taking fire, somebody's daughter is crying for her mother on our operating room table, and somebody's husband is lying cold in a "pouch, human remains." Will that be enough to convince these model citizens to take off their Purple Heart Band-Aids?

I consider myself a proud ex-pat, along with the 150,000 or so other soldiers in Iraq. Given all that us ex-pats are doing to further democracy in the Middle East, is it too much to ask for a little respect and a vote now and then? When will we be able to have some intelligent debate over real issues: health care, creating more jobs, bringing our boys home, increasing taxes on corporations, etc.?

By the way, if anyone wants to make a difference in the future of Iraq, my unit is working with our civil affiars battalion to collect school supplies for the local schools in Mosul. Apparently, there isn't enough money in the interim Iraqi budget to pay for pencils, pens, and composition books. School starts September 11th. Leave no child behind!

Sincerely,

Gerry Dolan

US Army

Friends,

I wanted to apprise you of a few things that might help you understand some of my fears and frustrations.

Did you know that American citizens at the Republican National Convetion last night were wearing band-aids with Purple Hearts on them to mock veterans (i.e. Kerry) who were lightly wounded? I'm in a bunker in Mosul, Iraq, getting mortared daily, and I have to watch my countrymen wearing Purple Heart Band-aids and getting coverage on CNN, MSNBC, and FOX?

Did you know that two nights ago, our combat support hospital took in two casualties from an IED (improvised explosive device, a road side bomb)? One kid had two broken legs, a broken arm, broken ribs, and a punctured lung. The other kid was trapped in the vehicle and burned to death. Have you ever seen a burnt human body? It's a sight you won't forget and the smell never leaves you.

I wish I could reach out to those fine Americans at the Republican National Convention and make then see what I've seen; I would show them all of the wounds and injuries our surgeons, nurses, and medics have treated. American soldiers are dying over here, and those at the convention have the temerity to mock us? While the balloons drop and the banners wave, somebody's son is taking fire, somebody's daughter is crying for her mother on our operating room table, and somebody's husband is lying cold in a "pouch, human remains." Will that be enough to convince these model citizens to take off their Purple Heart Band-Aids?

I consider myself a proud ex-pat, along with the 150,000 or so other soldiers in Iraq. Given all that us ex-pats are doing to further democracy in the Middle East, is it too much to ask for a little respect and a vote now and then? When will we be able to have some intelligent debate over real issues: health care, creating more jobs, bringing our boys home, increasing taxes on corporations, etc.?

By the way, if anyone wants to make a difference in the future of Iraq, my unit is working with our civil affiars battalion to collect school supplies for the local schools in Mosul. Apparently, there isn't enough money in the interim Iraqi budget to pay for pencils, pens, and composition books. School starts September 11th. Leave no child behind!

Sincerely,

Gerry Dolan

US Army

77386[/snapback]

Leave it to Beaver...

Friends,

Sincerely,

Gerry Dolan

US Army

77386[/snapback]

Well....if you ask me......Gerry confirms what the President has been saying all along....kinda sad that you can take a letter meant to be anti Republican and turn it for the president......and for those who dont understand what I mean about that.....just take a look at how the media poses its coverage of what is going on in this election.