Chelsea Lately

WWVaBeach

We are wondering why you are referring to yourself in the plurality?

Yeah, what is up with that? I just read some quote from Nick Saban, about how "we feel more comfortable in the college game, although we learned a lot about ourselves in the NFL." Nick, you are at an educational institution, shouldn't you at least fein interest in speaking properly? Idiot!

Not you WWVa, you aren't teaching anyone anything! :lol:

But, no, we have never seen this show. What are you referring to?

Yeah, what is up with that? I just read some quote from Nick Saban, about how "we feel more comfortable in the college game, although we learned a lot about ourselves in the NFL." Nick, you are at an educational institution, shouldn't you at least fein interest in speaking properly? Idiot!

Alright smart a$$e$ I was actually referring to my wife and me but I digress...

King Nick uses the "Royal We."

She's a horrible !@#$ who got YET another shot on a TV show with Viacom because she is banging the president of the company.

If she ever wants to be a Jr. Programmer or perhaps a Database Administrator, I've got her covered.

Any of you ever catch Chelsea Handler's show on E? We find it to be hilarious. Edgy, envelope pressing type comedy. The half-hour goes by very fast.

I have to take away a man card from ya, as no self-respecting man watches E! :lol:

When Nick Saban uses it in that sense I am sure that he is using the Royal We.

From Wiki:

A nosism is the use of 'we' to refer to oneself[1]. A common example is the royal we (Pluralis Majestatis), which is a nosism employed by a person of high office, such as a monarch or pope. It is also used in certain formal contexts by bishops and university rectors. The expression was first used in 1169 when English King Henry II (d. 1189), hard pressed by his barons over the investiture controversy, assumed the common theory of "divine right of kings," that the monarch acted conjointly with the deity. Hence, he used "we" as "God and I...," or so the legend goes. (See Rolls Series, 2.12)

In the public situations in which it is used, the monarch or other dignitary is typically speaking, not in his own proper person, but as leader of a nation or institution. Nevertheless, the habit of referring to leaders in the plural has influenced the grammar of several languages, in which plural forms tend to be perceived as deferential and more polite than singular forms. This grammatical feature is called a T-V distinction.

Popes have used the we as part of their formal speech with certain recent exceptions. The English translations of the documents of John Paul II dispensed with this practice, using the singular "I", even though the Latin original usually continued to use the first person plural "We".

I have to take away a man card from ya, as no self-respecting man watches E! :P

I have to disagree...it's the only show I watch on E!

Go ahead take a peek...no one on here will tell. :lol:

She's a horrible !@#$ who got YET another shot on a TV show with Viacom because she is banging the president of the company.

I know why you're upset.

Because you're not banging her. :P