Hearing things?

Today Posted By: Chris Brown | Time: 3:20 PM ET | Link

DOCKERY NOT WORRIED ABOUT PETERS SITUATION: Derrick Dockery arrived at camp a short time ago and when asked about linemate Jason Peters and whether the tackle's situation concerns him had the following answer.

"It doesn't concern me. You just have to have faith and trust in the people you play with. I haven't talked to him in a while, but if he's here, he's here. If he's not he's not. We'll just have to move forward."

Dockery also said when Jason gets back he'll be ready and one of the elite tackles in the game, which sounds like he's not expecting him to report today but having not spoken to him he likely doesn't know any better than anyone else.

---

This incident is about to get real annoying, Russ Brandon also said he heard nothing of Jason wanting a new contract. Via text message.

It was the last line of that WGR excerpt that bothered me. The fact that they haven't even spoken to Peters' agent tells me that the team is not taking this implied threat of a hold out very seriously. I think that is a mistake. I don't think that Peters should get a raise. He just got one and has only had one season of actual performance. I don't think that makes him ready for a 6 year 60 mil deal. I want to see more production and over a longer period before paying out that kind of dough. That being said, the team is in deep s--t without him and they better do everything they can to make sure he shows up. Just to note, if nothing else, the money will force him to get to camp. Apparently, the fine is 15,600 dollars per, including weekends, so that amounts to just over 100,000 per week that you miss of training camp. The game day fines are even sharper. The money will force him to play, but I don't know that he will be very happy about it, or be a "full participant" if that is the only reason that he comes back to the team. Buffalo better get ready to shell out those dollars, because, even though I don't think they should, they need to get him signed long term now if that guarantees that he will be out there and playing for us.

Did Wgr just say that Peter's is not reporting to camp? Nothing on their website.

They were playing sound bites from Bills COO Russ Brandon during the 5pm hour today. Sounds like the Bills are going to play hard-ball with Peters. They claim they haven't seen or heard from him since shortly after the season ended. Brandon sounded kinda pissed and said they already "took care" of Peters two years ago. Sounds like they would have been willing to discuss an extension but he said they can't even think about it because he's been a no-show. He has until Midnight tonight to report.

They were playing sound bites from Bills COO Russ Brandon during the 5pm hour today. Sounds like the Bills are going to play hard-ball with Peters. They claim they haven't seen or heard from him since shortly after the season ended. Brandon sounded kinda pissed and said they already "took care" of Peters two years ago. Sounds like they would have been willing to discuss an extension but he said they can't even think about it because he's been a no-show. He has until Midnight tonight to report.

Sounds like they should have had an idea of what Peters was up to before free agency and the draft.

If they were committed to playing hardball, they should have protected themselves and obtained a bona fide LT to fill in for Peters while the Bills again cripple the franchise.

Either he's healthy and deserves more money, or he's injured and the Bills are justified in waiting. Under either option, relying on moving Walker to LT is stupid at best, but typical of the Bills treatment of the OL over the last 15 years.

Sounds like they should have had an idea of what Peters was up to before free agency and the draft.

If they were committed to playing hardball, they should have protected themselves and obtained a bona fide LT to fill in for Peters while the Bills again cripple the franchise.

Either he's healthy and deserves more money, or he's injured and the Bills are justified in waiting. Under either option, relying on moving Walker to LT is stupid at best, but typical of the Bills treatment of the OL over the last 15 years.

The Bills will not give in to Peters demands of a new contract until he at least reports to the team. I agree that the Bills should have protected themselves by signing another Offensive Tackle of decent quality in the offseason if they thought that Peters would holdout. However, Peters position is ridiculous. Does he even care about the team? Even Devin Hester, Anquan Boldin and for that matter Ocho Cinco showed up for some off season work. The guy has played ONE strong season at LT. Play another strong year and you will get a HUGE contract. Act like this and the Bills will let him sit and rot and turn into a big fat blob. Do all you big Bills fans really want a guy on your team who is all about ME and nothing else? I sure as hell do not. Get ready for Langston Walker to move over to LT if Peters is not there within a week.

Think about this for a minute. Should anyone on an offense that has been ranked at the bottom of the league for the past 4 seasons get a big raise? I really think NOT. The same goes for Lee Evans. Let him have a huge year and the Bills will either give him a megadeal or Franchise him after the season. This has been a HORRIBLE offense for years! Lets see some strong play week in and week out and than reward our supposed stars!! Go Bills.

obes, they spent last year making a substantial attempt to upgrade the line, and received substantial heat for the way they went about it. going back the year before that, they extended all-world Jason Peters a wise business move, locking him up for an extended period of time. part of the game involves posturing, and unfortunately holdouts as well. Peters may end up getting the money, he may not, but you gotta at least give this group credit for the past two years activity.

peters should show, peters should play, and peters should negotiate what he can get. unfortunately, for us, it's business, and business is conducted in ways that can be a real pain in the a$$.

obes, they spent last year making a substantial attempt to upgrade the line, and received substantial heat for the way they went about it. going back the year before that, they extended all-world Jason Peters a wise business move, locking him up for an extended period of time. part of the game involves posturing, and unfortunately holdouts as well. Peters may end up getting the money, he may not, but you gotta at least give this group credit for the past two years activity.

peters should show, peters should play, and peters should negotiate what he can get. unfortunately, for us, it's business, and business is conducted in ways that can be a real pain in the a$$.

There is NO excuse for not having a bona fide backup LT for the 2nd most important position of the team - especuially when you are trying to develop a young QB.

Contract situations happen.

Good mgmt expects it and plans for it

Instead the Bills stick their head in the stand - regarding the talent at OT and about letting the Peters situation fester to this point.

There is NO excuse for not having a bona fide backup LT for the 2nd most important position of the team - especuially when you are trying to develop a young QB.

Instead the Bills stick their head in the stand - regarding the talent at OT and about letting the Peters situation fester to this point.

don't disagree that it would be nice to have another player to back him up, i disagree whole-heartedly on who is leting this situation fester. this is squarely on peters. he's not a year out, he's three years out. he had a contract, doesn't like it, and is violating his deal. all the rest is window dressing.

The Bills will not give in to Peters demands of a new contract until he at least reports to the team. I agree that the Bills should have protected themselves by signing another Offensive Tackle of decent quality in the offseason if they thought that Peters would holdout. However, Peters position is ridiculous. Does he even care about the team? Even Devin Hester, Anquan Boldin and for that matter Ocho Cinco showed up for some off season work. The guy has played ONE strong season at LT. Play another strong year and you will get a HUGE contract. Act like this and the Bills will let him sit and rot and turn into a big fat blob. Do all you big Bills fans really want a guy on your team who is all about ME and nothing else? I sure as hell do not. Get ready for Langston Walker to move over to LT if Peters is not there within a week.

Think about this for a minute. Should anyone on an offense that has been ranked at the bottom of the league for the past 4 seasons get a big raise? I really think NOT. The same goes for Lee Evans. Let him have a huge year and the Bills will either give him a megadeal or Franchise him after the season. This has been a HORRIBLE offense for years! Lets see some strong play week in and week out and than reward our supposed stars!! Go Bills.

Evans is here and in camp. It's an entirely different situation. Peters has made it clear he does not care about this team, this city or the whole NFL.

Peters can site out his career for all i care about him.

You're nuts. No team has what you're suggesting. And as far as I know, no one has ESP to predict when a player will decide to hold out with three years on his contract. The Bills are doing the best job they can. They've been on track since dumping Donahoe. Too bad you can't see it.

PTR

You're nuts. No team has what you're suggesting. And as far as I know, no one has ESP to predict when a player will decide to hold out with three years on his contract. The Bills are doing the best job they can. They've been on track since dumping Donahoe. Too bad you can't see it.

PTR

wrong

the Bills knew in January Peters wanted a new deal.

they had the off-season and draft to acquire a lineman. They chose to ignore the issue. Their OC now feels the best move is skip the 2 studs backing up Peters and disrupt the whole line by moving Walker.

The same hole is there if Peters gets injured. The Bills have no answer for the 2nd most important position of the team.

It was the last line of that WGR excerpt that bothered me. The fact that they haven't even spoken to Peters' agent tells me that the team is not taking this implied threat of a hold out very seriously. I think that is a mistake. I don't think that Peters should get a raise. He just got one and has only had one season of actual performance. I don't think that makes him ready for a 6 year 60 mil deal. I want to see more production and over a longer period before paying out that kind of dough. That being said, the team is in deep s--t without him and they better do everything they can to make sure he shows up. Just to note, if nothing else, the money will force him to get to camp. Apparently, the fine is 15,600 dollars per, including weekends, so that amounts to just over 100,000 per week that you miss of training camp. The game day fines are even sharper. The money will force him to play, but I don't know that he will be very happy about it, or be a "full participant" if that is the only reason that he comes back to the team. Buffalo better get ready to shell out those dollars, because, even though I don't think they should, they need to get him signed long term now if that guarantees that he will be out there and playing for us.

I agree that we got nobody better than him on the line (currently on the roster). He's got Ralph by the balls. :cry:

Every team has one , right? Did you see how well the Ravens line played when Ogden was hurt or the Rams when Pace went down? How come they had no one step right in?

Every team has one , right? Did you see how well the Ravens line played when Ogden was hurt or the Rams when Pace went down? How come they had no one step right in?

because they are as ill-prepared as the Bills?

The Bills used to have Price as a backup who could actually hold his own at either OT spot.

I know its too much to ask to invest in someone like that instead of UDFAs and converted TEs

The Bills used to have Price as a backup who could actually hold his own at either OT spot.

I know its too much to ask to invest in someone like that instead of UDFAs and converted TEs

Peters is a converted TE.

I hate this stuff. On the one hand, I don't think it's bad for Peters to hold out (at least for a short period), because the offensive playbook isn't going to be changing much for him this year. So there's no chance of a freak injury in practice. On the other hand, he's under contract and he should be in camp. Plus, the number of pro/anti Peters rants on this board will now explode.

I'm sure every team in the league besides the Bills has a quality back-up LT who can step right in and the O-Line would be just fine.

Man, there are not enough quality LOT's in the league, let alone enough quality backups. The Bill's did the absolute right thing by getting Peter's signed to a long term contract, and 2 years in he's balking!? Get real Jason, get in camp and wait your turn, the Bills owe you nothing at this point.