Whom Trent Edwards reminds me of.

Justice

Two of Edwards' starts late last year were in horrible weather vs. Cleveland and the Giants. It's really hard to do stat comparisons when a QB has so few starts and two of them were games where Derek Anderson and Eli Manning blew chunks as well. I'm not saying he will or won't be the next Fiedler? I think he will be better than that when it's all said and done.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just a side note, I don't have time to do all the research, but I do know that Walsh did not want Montana as his QB... He was sold on another kid who turned out to be average/below average, it has been discussed here before but the name is escaping me

Steve Fuller.

Marv Levy actually wanted Montana, but his GM went after Fuller. Walsh wanted Fuller and was pissed that the Chiefs jumped on his guy, so he "settled" for Montana. Now, Walsh is acclaimed as a genius talent evaluator and it was his death bed call to Marv Levy that led Edwards to Buffalo. ;)

In terms of his upside, I like the Bulger comparison from earlier in the thread. As for what he showed in minimal playing time as a rookie, Fiedler is pretty fair. So, if he doesn't progress and get any better, we have Jay Fiedler on our hands...considering there's a 95 percent chance he'll get better, I can deal with it...

In terms of his upside, I like the Bulger comparison from earlier in the thread. As for what he showed in minimal playing time as a rookie, Fiedler is pretty fair. So, if he doesn't progress and get any better, we have Jay Fiedler on our hands...considering there's a 95 percent chance he'll get better, I can deal with it...

I used to work with a kid that would go into meetings and quote statistics like that. "In a month, blah blah will be 97% complete." "Blah blah is 80% of optimal and will be 90% when I get done."

I'll never forget the meeting when his boss called him on it. "Why do you say 80%? Why not 83.234799%?" Receiving a blank look, he went on: "You love to throw around percentages and have absolutely no data whatsoever to support any of it."

I know I'm gonna get flamed for this, but I'm gonna say it anyways. When I think about whom Trent Edwards reminds me of the most I can't help but think of Jay Fiedler. He reminds me of Jay in a lot of ways, such as smarts, on field leadership, overall calmness and poise in the pocket as well as arm strength. I'm not saying that he won't be better than Fiedler, but I do see a lot of similarities between the two QB's, AS OF NOW.

I've heard comparisons around here with Tom Brady but that is just ridiculous. A QB like Tom Brady doesn't grow on trees. He's one of the All-Time greats. Hopefully TE can become a great QB like Tom and he still can.

I'm not knocking TE in any way. JF won more than he lost and he was a perennial playoff QB with the Fish. I'm hoping TE will be better than JF, of course.

This is what Jay Fiedler's career stats look like:

G CMP ATT PCT YDS AVG TD LNG INT RAT

Career 77 1008 1717 58.7 11844 6.9 69 74 66 77.1

Here are Trent's:

151 269 56.1 1630 6.06 7 70 8 70.4

Uhhhhh.... I hope not! <_<;):unsure:

I used to work with a kid that would go into meetings and quote statistics like that. "In a month, blah blah will be 97% complete." "Blah blah is 80% of optimal and will be 90% when I get done."

I'll never forget the meeting when his boss called him on it. "Why do you say 80%? Why not 83.234799%?" Receiving a blank look, he went on: "You love to throw around percentages and have absolutely no data whatsoever to support any of it."

I didn't quote anything. I picked the number out of my head. 95% is about what I think the odds are on it happening, not really a statistic. But whatever...without using numbers since they're apparently so offensive to you, I'll just say that it SEEMS LIKELY that Edwards will progress rather than regress. I could be wrong.

If Edwards can be compared to Fiedler at this stage of his career, I think that's a good thing. Not that Fiedler was any great shakes...but Edwards has time to improve.

I didn't quote anything. I picked the number out of my head. 95% is about what I think the odds are on it happening, not really a statistic. But whatever...without using numbers since they're apparently so offensive to you, I'll just say that it SEEMS LIKELY that Edwards will progress rather than regress. I could be wrong.

If Edwards can be compared to Fiedler at this stage of his career, I think that's a good thing. Not that Fiedler was any great shakes...but Edwards has time to improve.

I wasn't offended at all. Sorry if you were offended. Feel free to quantify your feelings as much as you wish. It's just a message board and my comment wasn't about *you* at all. In fact, your post just brought up a funny memory. Peace.

Meanwhile Edwards reminds me of a combination of Joe Montana (coolness under pressure) Dan Marino (quick release) and Tom Brady (intelligence).

LMFAO...whatever minimal crdibility you ever had is LOOOOONG gone out the window with that post.