One Small Step For a Man

/dev/null

All you youngsters younger than about 45 really don't realize how amazing it was. Basically everyone that had access to a TV in the world (except China and Russia) watched them walk on the moon. It was amazing to go out and look at the moon that night and realize there were actually people up there. I also remember seeing Alan Shepard's sub-orbital flight in 1962 (I was 5 and not in kindergarten yet) just seven short years earlier.

I have seen the Apollo 11 capsule at the Smithsonian and each guy had about 2 phone booths of room if that. The LEM's walls were so thin (about twice as thick as aluminum foil) that the astronauts could have put a hole in the wall. They almost ran out of fuel and had to abort the landing. The original landing site was strewn with boulders (the photos didn't have that resolution then) and Neil Armstrong had to manually steer it to a clear landing. Just before they landed, Mission Control tells them they had 30 seconds of fuel left.

It was a great achievement of mankind.

For all of you hoax believers check out the Bad Astronomy site for a point by point refutation of all the kooky ideas out there. Also Mythbusters will be tackling some of these on August 27th.

If you asked anyone then where we'd be 39 years later, they would have said colonies on Mars and beyond.

PTR

True. Who knew the space program was mostly funded by Cold War propaganda and would become a space shuttle program of "near Earth" only expeditions?

I was just a kid and assumed there would be an established Moon colony by now.

Of course 2008 was an infinite distance away then! :lol:

I realize most people here are joking around, but seriously, if you think that the entire thing was staged (6 times) then you are quite the ultra maroon...

7 if you count the near-disaster that was Apollo 13. There were seven attempted moon landings (six successful) between July 1969 and December 1972. We have not been back to the moon since. I think it is simply amazing when you consider the technology that we had then, that the moon landings number six in only a 42 month time frame.

Your XBox360 has a more sophisticated computer in it than the space capsules did.

I was 7 weeks old at the time of the first moon landing. My father told me he watched until well into the night that Sunday. He once said, "I always thought we'd go to the moon, but I didn't think we'd take a TV station up there so the whole world could watch!".

7 if you count the near-disaster that was Apollo 13. There were seven attempted moon landings (six successful) between July 1969 and December 1972. We have not been back to the moon since. I think it is simply amazing when you consider the technology that we had then, that the moon landings number six in only a 42 month time frame.

Your XBox360 has a more sophisticated computer in it than the space capsules did.

I was 7 weeks old at the time of the first moon landing. My father told me he watched until well into the night that Sunday. He once said, "I always thought we'd go to the moon, but I didn't think we'd take a TV station up there so the whole world could watch!".

An X-box has more processing power than the NASA mainframes at the time.

On Modern Marvels last night they had "90s tech". They showed a Furby and said that little toy had more processing power than the LEM did!

http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0205873/

Kind of a cute movie about the moon landing. Not sure if its based on actual events though.

I also don't know if it is based on real events, but the communications with the Apollo mission did come through that dish in Australia when it was pointed towards the moon. I remember that there was a tracking station near Canberra. They would show the tracking stations on the map where they showed the orbits and I remember that one.

Well, to be technical, you would have to include Apollo 10 since they flew around the moon too. What I meant was actual landings. However, your point is taken about the technology. Amazing what an unlimited budget can do, huh?

I was four months old when Gene Cernan blasted off from the surface of the moon in December 1972, so I missed it by a few years. Ah well, maybe I'll be around for the next set of landings...