Scouts Inc. rates DBs (O...boy)

Numark

Bills are at #27

They will be improved this year with SS Donte Whitner and FS Ko Simpson both entering their third season. Simpson missed the majority of the 2007 season with a dislocated ankle, but should be ready to return as the starter, and the duo gives the Bills two young playmakers with good instincts who can make plays in traffic or in space. Buffalo returns starters Terrence McGee and Jabari Greer back at corner, and while McGee lacks ideal size he does have good quickness and ball skills. Greer has better size to match up with receivers and is very competitive. The addition of CB Leodis McKelvin through the draft will provide depth and competition, and McKelvin should be at least the nickel corner when the season begins.

Cowboys

Raiders

Eagles

Colts

Chargers

Seahawks

Ravens

Panthers

Broncos

Packers

Bucs

Redskins

Jaguars

Steelers

Bears

Giants

Vikings

Titans

Pats

Lions

Cardinals

49ers

Dolphins

Rams

Chiefs

Jets

Bills

Bengals

Saints

Browns

Texans

Falcons

• Replies 44
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I know it's not very flattering, but is it that far off? Even though it's not what we Bills fans want to hear, our DBs will need time to become a cohesive unit.

I'll bet those rankings will look a lot better in another season or two.

I know it's not very flattering, but is it that far off? Even though it's not what we Bills fans want to hear, our DBs will need time to become a cohesive unit.

I think they are better than that right now. Just have not fully shown it yet. But they will. Give it a few months.

I think they are better than that right now. Just have not fully shown it yet. But they will. Give it a few months.

They may be better but the stats may actually look worse if the DL actually stops teams from running at will and forces them to throw more.

They may be better but the stats may actually look worse if the DL actually stops teams from running at will and forces them to throw more.

Or, we could end up w/ an improved pass rush (interior via McCargo and Johnson; exterior via a more consistent effort from our DEs and our OLBs-one can hope) and still see better results from our secondary, aided by more hurried throws and maybe even (dare I say it?) the occasional interception or two.

If the DL puts some pressure on opposing QB's this year, McGee, McKelvin, Greer, James, Whitner, et al. will look a whole lot better than 27th best. If not, it's going to be a long season.

Some of us having been saying that since Donahoe got here.

Does anybody remember when our 2 young safeties were first on the field and it seemed like nobody even wanted to throw against them....

Ko is back

JfH I hope you're being a tad sarcastic with that one. Whitner and Simpson benefitted greatly from Clements and McGee giving them the freedom to learn and make mistakes two years ago. With that in mind, I need to see more from Simpson before we think the FS position is a strength.

If the DL puts some pressure on opposing QB's this year, McGee, McKelvin, Greer, James, Whitner, et al. will look a whole lot better than 27th best. If not, it's going to be a long season.

That is an excellent point. Too many people want to rate units of an offense or defense or individual players- these units mean nothing, because the players do not compete in a vacuum. You look at the defensive unit as a whole- is the run defense going to be good enough to let the pass rush tee off on the QB? Is the pass rush going to allow the secondary to cover? Then you have to look at the whole team- is the offense or defense putting undue pressure on the other side of the ball to carry the team?

Some of us having been saying that since Donahoe got here.

You mean it only seems like forever?

The secondary has some talent. Unfortunately, they didn't have much of anything on the first 2 levels, so it was sort of hard to evaluate the 3rd other than by a thumb in the wind... or out the window of a car going down the Thruway. :devil:

I think it is hard to predict based on last years performances. The injuries skew any predictions. I am not sure we have the 27th ranked D backs. I just don't know because we have no clue what our defense looks like because of the injuries and the additions. I actually think our DB's are going to be much better than people think.

I agree. By then we will have 7 or 8 first round draft choices on that unit.

You have a point; I wouldn't put them in the top half. At least not yet. But ... behind the stinkin' Fish? Really? Have they seen Miami play since Madison and Surtain left town?