Worst Phrase Ever

billfan63

• Replies 132
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I didn't search the thread, but did anyone mention the tried and true classic "for all intensive purposes?" The correct phrase is "for all intents and purposes."

Also, "first come, first serve" is thrown around on a daily basis, rather than the correct phrase "first come, first served."

"Untracked".

As in...."Team X really has to get untracked or they're going to be finished by the third quarter".

The expression is "On Track". Like....when a train derails, it can't move very far, or very fast. When the train gets back "on track", the flange on the inner wall of the wheels lines up with the rails, and the train can go forward and backward. To be "untracked" is a bastardization of the expression "derailed".

I can't, for the life of me, understand why television sports announcers can't fuggin' figure this out. Dick Enberg used to be the worst offender, and might still be. I don't know, because I usually have to hit the mute when I see him, or else I'll end up throwing it at the TV (again). Jesus, what a goddamn idiot.

I have never heard any sports announcer say "untracked" in my 33 years of auditory history. I must be lucky.

longtime listener, first time poster (sorry, couldn't resist).

Mine is "nip that in the butt", as in "that situation is getting out of control, we'd better nip that in the butt". Correct phrase is "nip that in the bud," as in cutting off an unwanted plant before it gets too big.

longtime listener, first time poster (sorry, couldn't resist).

Mine is "nip that in the butt", as in "that situation is getting out of control, we'd better nip that in the butt". Correct phrase is "nip that in the bud," as in cutting off an unwanted plant before it gets too big.

Well there are certain people out there that perfer to nip things in the butt.

Not that there's anything wrong with that.

"Untracked".

As in...."Team X really has to get untracked or they're going to be finished by the third quarter".

The expression is "On Track". Like....when a train derails, it can't move very far, or very fast. When the train gets back "on track", the flange on the inner wall of the wheels lines up with the rails, and the train can go forward and backward. To be "untracked" is a bastardization of the expression "derailed".

I can't, for the life of me, understand why television sports announcers can't fuggin' figure this out. Dick Enberg used to be the worst offender, and might still be. I don't know, because I usually have to hit the mute when I see him, or else I'll end up throwing it at the TV (again). Jesus, what a goddamn idiot.

Because I'm a bit of a language usage geek, I had to look this one up. While technically you appear to be correct, "get untracked" has been widely used, particularly in the sports world, for decades:

linky