Travis will start in healthy -say Mularkey

millbank

They already have. This is a message board for those suffering from bipolar disorder and Alzheimer's - oh, and who also happen to be Bills football fans.

74880[/snapback]

no thats not it at all. i'm for keeping both of them. but, play the better of the two. willis has vision and can find the hole that travis can't. willis is a better blocker... watch the tape. willis is a better pass catcher. willis gets more yards after initial contact. and above all he is a team player. whenever henry is on the field you NEVER see willis sitting on the bench with his helmet off like henry did yesterday. he is always standing on the sidelines next to the coaches ready to play. not stairing up at the sky with his helmet off like travis was during the game yesterday.

• Replies 83
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Days

Top Posters In This Topic

Most of you fools on this board are so fickle; if Henry had played that game yesterday with the same results, then you would be calling for Mcgahee to sit a little while longer until he gets his full ability back..

74866[/snapback]

uhhhhhhhhhhhh...

ummmmmmmmmmm.

Hmmmmm

?????

That's exactly the point!!! It WASN'T HENRY! IT WAS WILLIS.

Travis had 4 games not to run for 100yards.

Willis had one, and DID.

They already have. This is a message board for those suffering from bipolar disorder and Alzheimer's - oh, and who also happen to be Bills football fans.

74880[/snapback]

Hey, at least we don't have short term memory loss. Forget the forth quarter yesterday? Did you not see Willis drag several members of the Dolphins play after play? It been a while since I've seen a Bills player do that. If that's an idictment on Henry then so be it.

what is our record over the past two years?

74875[/snapback]

Oh yeah, Henry is the only one to blame for the Bills' lack of success during those seasons. Hell Henry was the only bright spot.

If Donahoe had addressed the OL instead of trying to be fancy and try to hit the lottery and look like a genius, this line could clear the way for a runningback or protect (if its possible) Bledsoe.

This O-Lines inability to get to the second level is what is keeping our backs from being successful. Willis even said "just block the DL, don't worry about the LB's". This is because our blockers either can't get a good chip on the linemen and get to the backers' or can't get off the linemen at all.

With the improvement that the Oline has made this year in pass protection (at times), the run blocking has also regressed. That is why the backs are struggling.

And if Henry had gotten 26 carries yesterday, hed would have had the same effect on the tiring Dolphins D.

Correct me if I'm wrong but didn't Mularkey say just last week that, "The best players will be on the field and if we need to make a change with players then we will."

74786[/snapback]

Excactly, so what the hell is he talking about? To most Bills fans Willis has clearly out played Travis and deserves to start....saying all that I think Travis is a class guy and has done a lot for this team just not this year. Anyway one of them will be gone and it will be Travis but I've got a lot of respect for Travis and I hope their are no bad feelings. IMHO

I have no problem with Henry starting, provided Mularkey does the following:

1. plays McGahee for all third-down and goal-line situations.

2. replaces Henry if he fumbles at all.

3. replaces Henry if he misses a single blitz assignment that leads to a sack.

74809[/snapback]

Should he also replace Willis if he misses a single blitz pick up or if he fumbles? I think Willis should play if he is the best back on the roster, if not, play the guy who is. What drives me crazy is that MM probably isn't sure right now who the best back is and that is what coaches are there for, to make a decision as to who is the best player, even when it is close.

Hey, at least we don't have short term memory loss. Forget the forth quarter yesterday? Did you not see Willis drag several members of the Dolphins play after play? It been a while since I've seen a Bills player do that. If that's an idictment on Henry then so be it.

74895[/snapback]

I love how all of a sudden I've become a Henry Apologist on this board. :w00t:

Was my original proposal so unreasonable? Play Henry for 1st and 2nd downs, play McGahee for 3rd and 4th and goal-line, and take Henry out if he fumbles once or misses a block that leads to a sack once?

I, too, think WM is the better back. However, I think Henry is still a pretty good one as well (top 15 NFL RB), and if there is any way we can keep both on the same team (as injury insurance) - and even on the same field at the same time (putting WM at FB and TH at HB) - then I am all for that.

74880[/snapback]

The season is more than a quarter finished. Is Henry's production anywhere near the level it was the last 2 years? As a Bills fan who knows the type of player Henry is, he's underperforming and hurting the team.

How many more loses should the team endure while Henry is trying to regain his form?

This team is in desparate need of guys making plays. McGahee did that in the 4th quarter against the Jets, and in the Dolphins game. That's 5 more quarters of production than Henry's posted this season.

I love how all of a sudden I've become a Henry Apologist on this board.  :w00t:

Was my original proposal so unreasonable? Play Henry for 1st and 2nd downs, play McGahee for 3rd and 4th and goal-line, and take Henry out if he fumbles once or misses a block that leads to a sack once?

I, too, think WM is the better back. However, I think Henry is still a pretty good one as well (top 15 NFL RB), and if there is any way we can keep both on the same team (as injury insurance) - and even on the same field at the same time (putting WM at FB and TH at HB) - then I am all for that.

74934[/snapback]

I respect your opinion, but I am wondering if a 1-4 team needs insurance at the RB position. I would rather have an extra draft pick. We need to go after linemen, safeties, another lb, and perhaps even a corner.

The season is more than a quarter finished.  Is Henry's production anywhere near the level it was the last 2 years?  As a Bills fan who knows the type of player Henry is, he's underperforming and hurting the team.

How many more loses should the team endure while Henry is trying to regain his form? 

This team is in desparate need of guys making plays.  McGahee did that in the 4th quarter against the Jets, and in the Dolphins game.  That's 5 more quarters of production than Henry's posted this season.

74941[/snapback]

Like I said earlier, for the little bit of improvement the Oline has made in pass protection, they have REGRESSED majorly in the area of run blocking which is what has killed Henry.

Before yesterday, Henry and McGahee were averaging similiar yard per carry averages (Henry 3.4 and Willis 3.7). If Henry had played yesterday and got to touch the ball 26 times against the Dolphins tiring Defense, he would have been just as successful as Willis was, and might have even got in the endzone.

I love how all of a sudden I've become a Henry Apologist on this board.  :w00t:

74934[/snapback]

I would agree with you if our record were better but it isn't. This team can no longer afford mental errors from the running back position. What we witnessed yesterday was a dramatic changing of the guard. The coach should recognize it as such and show the balls to sit Henry. This smacks of protecting a players ego and of not wanting a locker room controversy. Swift decision making is neccessary here IMO. Coach Malarkey needs to send a message that present day playmakers will be getting the playing time. Not playmakers of the past. I like Henry, but he is gone and we all know it. I say, time to get on with the gettin on.

Like I said earlier, for the little bit of improvement the Oline has made in pass protection, they have REGRESSED majorly in the area of run blocking which is what has killed Henry.

Before yesterday, Henry and McGahee were averaging similiar yard per carry averages (Henry 3.4 and Willis 3.7). If Henry had played yesterday and got to touch the ball 26 times against the Dolphins tiring Defense, he would have been just as successful as Willis was, and might have even got in the endzone.

74958[/snapback]

willis's ypc now is at 4.1 compared to travis's 3.7 now. and if the line is "regresssing" so much in the run blocking how in the hell did he run for 100+ yards yesterday?

Why don't you all get a clue and bring yourselves to the logical conclusion that Donahoe sucks. Everything is his fault. If McGahee is good and Henry is just OK, it's Donahoe's fault. If we have two good RBs, it's his fault. If draft pick edwards outplays fat sam, it's his fault. Friggin players. It was much easier when everyone sucked!

74958[/snapback]

Travis had 26 carries against the Jags, and it didn't result in 100 yards. He had over 20 against Oakland, and again it did nothing to wear down the defense.

And it's more than just run blocking. McGahee converted 3rd downs on 2 shovel passes yesterday, while efforts to get Henry involved in the passing game have been blown up by Henry's mistakes.

I think they're both good backs, but Henry is not playing to his standards he set the last two years.

Both guys can contribute, but right now, McGahee is playing better football. To me, that warrants he be named the starter.

willis's ypc now is at 4.1 compared to travis's 3.7 now.  and if the line is "regresssing" so much in the run blocking how in the hell did he run for 100+ yards yesterday?

74987[/snapback]

Like i said twice in this thread already, if Henry had the same opporitunity yesterday, he would have had similiar results.

I really liked how the coach handled two very volatile issues with media doing it personably, with some humour, but also firmly. He did say that Travis will still be starter as he shouldn’t lose job because of injury, but also said because of schemes that Willis will also get more playing time, as the saying goes, don’t prod the bear, there was no reason he make big splash of statement saying Willis has won job it only would have caused controversy where it is not necessary. Action matter more. You get the idea from what he said Willis will be getting his playing time.

Also liked the idea he did not grandstand about Sam Adams but as he said " it will remain in house” this will be good for all around providing this is not just lip service toughness,

Travis had 26 carries against the Jags, and it didn't result in 100 yards.  He had over 20 against Oakland, and again it did nothing to wear down the defense.

And it's more than just run blocking.  McGahee converted 3rd downs on 2 shovel passes yesterday, while efforts to get Henry involved in the passing game have been blown up by Henry's mistakes.

I think they're both good backs, but Henry is not playing to his standards he set the last two years.

Both guys can contribute, but right now, McGahee is playing better football.  To me, that warrants he be named the starter.

74995[/snapback]

Yeah I hope they keep running shovel passes, they get blown up more often than they work.

That's right, we are 1-4.  Travis isn't going to be here next year, so why not start Willis NOW????

He looked better then Travis has in a year and a half.

74874[/snapback]

Could any one of you describe to me the play where willis scored yesterday with that nose for the endzone?

willis's ypc now is at 4.1 compared to travis's 3.7 now.  and if the line is "regresssing" so much in the run blocking how in the hell did he run for 100+ yards yesterday?

74987[/snapback]

And I also wonder if the offense stretching the field recently would have contributed to Willis' success yesterday.

Like i said twice in this thread already, if Henry had the same opporitunity yesterday, he would have had similiar results.

75007[/snapback]

i see what you're saying. ya see though henry did have that opportunity against the jags, pats, jets and the raiders. what makes you think he would have faried any better yesterday?

i see what you're saying.  ya see though henry did have that opportunity against the jags, pats, jets and the raiders.  what makes you think he would have faried any better yesterday?

75022[/snapback]

I think the success in the passing game yesterday may have also helped.

Could any one of you describe to me the play where willis scored yesterday with that nose for the endzone?

75012[/snapback]

No, but I can explain to you how he converted 3rd and 3 without falling flat on his face.

And I can explain how he converted third downs in the passing game without running the wrong route.

And I can explain how he didn't blow any blocking assignments that got Bledsoe clobbered so bad that he fumbled the ball and it was returned for a TD.

No, but I can explain to you how he converted 3rd and 3 without falling flat on his face.

And I can explain how he converted third downs in the passing game without running the wrong route.

And I can explain how he didn't blow any blocking assignments that got Bledsoe clobbered so bad that he fumbled the ball and it was returned for a TD.

75029[/snapback]

Again....answer my question...because all i have heard for the last few week is when we get inside the 5 give it to Willis because he WILL score. And....how many attempts? How many TDs?

If we had an experienced coach, Travis would have one rushing TD since the replay shows that he did in fact score. Oops? Challenge? What's that?

Again....answer my question...because all i have heard for the last few week is when we get inside the 5 give it to Willis because he WILL score.  And....how many attempts?  How many TDs?

If we had an experienced coach, Travis would have one rushing TD since the replay shows that he did in fact score.  Oops? Challenge?  What's that?

75035[/snapback]

So neither RB has scored a TD, so they're equal there (for what it's worth, I believe that McGahee broke the plane of the end zone on his last carry).

But one guy is averaging 4 yards a carry. One guy hasn't tripped over his own feet. One guy actually has picked up blockers. One guy hasn't run the wrong way on handoffs. And one guy hasn't run the wrong route on screen passes.

Travis needs to get his act together, because his play is costing him his job this year.

So neither RB has scored a TD, so they're equal there (for what it's worth, I believe that McGahee broke the plane of the end zone on his last carry).

But one guy is averaging 4 yards a carry.  One guy hasn't tripped over his own feet.  One guy actually has picked up blockers.  One guy hasn't run the wrong way on handoffs.  And one guy hasn't run the wrong route on screen passes.

Travis needs to get his act together, because his play is costing him his job this year.

75046[/snapback]

Really Coach Malarkey? You know that for sure? If he is so bad, and made all of those mistakes that are clearly his fault, why has our coaching staff not taken action? Could it be that the blame you lay at his feet isn't correct or shared in their view......nah....can't be.

Again....answer my question...because all i have heard for the last few week is when we get inside the 5 give it to Willis because he WILL score.  And....how many attempts?  How many TDs?

If we had an experienced coach, Travis would have one rushing TD since the replay shows that he did in fact score.  Oops? Challenge?  What's that?

75035[/snapback]

So we are going to totally discount the stuff that Travis Henry has screwed up on so far this year?

But one guy is averaging 4 yards a carry.  One guy hasn't tripped over his own feet.  One guy actually has picked up blockers.  One guy hasn't run the wrong way on handoffs.  And one guy hasn't run the wrong route on screen passes.

75046[/snapback]

That RB is averaging 4 ypc, but it is only less than half a yard better than the other......negligible difference

Maybe Dallas agreed to trade us as long as the draft pick was in the top 5.  Since with Willis in we seem to win, MM has to bench him.

75048[/snapback]

had the Defense not scored 7, would we have won? Seeing as we had to settle for 3 from inside the 5. Explain that, you mean to tell with two, count em, two chances inside the 5, Willis didn't score? Say it ain't so, Joe!

I cant believe I am making this arguement because I dont dislike Travis Henry.....but....

That 1/2 yard you speak of......it adds up my fellow bills brethren....

75057[/snapback]

Oh come on John, you know better than that. You can't compare those numbers because you are talking about a 1 game snapshot. Travis was avering over 6.5 in a game through 3 quarters....the circumstances skew the numbers.

had the Defense not scored 7, would we have won?  Seeing as we had to settle for 3 from inside the 5.  Explain that, you mean to tell with two, count em, two chances inside the 5, Willis didn't score?  Say it ain't so, Joe!

75054[/snapback]

The Bills ended up the game on the quarter inch line, thanks to McGahee's work on the 95 yard drive. They would have won the game without the defensive TD.

I cant believe I am making this arguement because I dont dislike Travis Henry.....but....

That 1/2 yard you speak of......it adds up my fellow bills brethren....

75057[/snapback]

I see your point about the half yard adding up, but on the average thats 3rd and two compared to 3rd and 3. In both situations we are a Bledsoe incompletion away from a punt.

:lol:

Oh come on John, you know better than that.  You can't compare those numbers because you are talking about a 1 game snapshot.  Travis was avering over 6.5 in a game through 3 quarters....the circumstances skew the numbers.

75062[/snapback]

Garranimal...

I dont know if you can see it or not....but the Travis Henry of this year is not the same of last year....there is something different in the way he plays and his production.....

Now...I am quite certain that a lot of it has to do with him looking over his shoulder......he has no patience or vision when he runs right now....just trying to bowl the whole defense over on his way to the end zone....no patience at all....no attempting to take the correct hole.......right now he is Amos Zeroue of the Raiders.....

And one other thing...it appears to me that he got so self concious about his speed that he took too much weight off.....the Travis Henry that would take a vicious hit and shed it and keep going isn't playing right now.....this is a Travis Henry is is so light that the force of the blow knocks him off balance and down......

People can blame that on the drafting of WM if they want to....but the competition doesn't seem to be effecting WM's play towards anything but the positive.....

75012[/snapback]

He didn't score. But, intelligent football people don't judge runningbacks on fantasy football numbers.

They judge them on their ability to gain yards, get first downs, and hold onto the ball for 13 minutes and change in the forth quarter draining any chance the opposing team had at tying the game.