Job Search Alternatives

Hey guys, looking for an alternative to the big 3 job search sites of Careerbuilder, yahoo hotjobs, and Monster. All seem to be littered with spam instead of real gigs. Are there any other sites you guys use other than these 3 or have used with success?

Good old fashioned research on local companies. One such tool is the "Business First of (insert your city here)" publishes a "book of lists". Lists the top law firms, minority owned business, remodeling companies, employee owned companies, you name it. Used it to check the companies web sites directly in conjunction with the big 3.

Hey guys, looking for an alternative to the big 3 job search sites of Careerbuilder, yahoo hotjobs, and Monster. All seem to be littered with spam instead of real gigs. Are there any other sites you guys use other than these 3 or have used with success?

What do you do? There are numerous function specific or industry specific job sites. You can also try headhunters.

Try simplyhired.com. It's a metasearch engine that searches Career Builder, Monster, and a bunch of others. I've seen more relevant results using Simply Hired than trying to hit a bunch of different searches.

Also try Career Board, they seem to have more local jobs and the different sites are broken down by region - [cityname].careerboard.com, etc.

Indeed will get you the most results. Craigslist can have decent listings too, but be careful because sometimes it just recruiters trying to harvest your resume. If you know what industry and area you are looking in, I'd try to find what companies are interesting to you. Then check out their career sites, and apply directly. To find these companies, check out local business publications (like Business First), newspapers, and trade associations. To find my current job, I went through all the companies in the directory here: http://www.infotechniagara.org/membership/directory.php and checked out their career pages. Its a lot of work, but a lot of employers don't post jobs to sites like Monster.

Some quick suggestions. Lots of companies are using LinkedIn to recruit. I am not a user, so cannot give more specifics, but maybe you should give er some research.

Also, the Ladders is a paid site that has all over 100k jobs. They specify by function, like sales for instance, and lots of people have had success there. I think it is like $29 a month or something.

If you are more blue collar, Snag a Job.com is a cool site. Little commercial as I know the founder(friend of a friend of a freind type deal) of this site, so always wish him well

What do you do? There are numerous function specific or industry specific job sites. You can also try headhunters.

The problem for me is that I do a little bit of everything since I had a hard time finding a job with a BS in sport management. Not many openings in pro sports that I've seen and I can't afford to take an unpaid internship for a year in hopes of getting one. I have law enforcement experience and driving experience, but I'm not really interested in driving anymore and while I do enjoy law enforcement to a certain extent I don't think I'll pursue it as a career forever.

I'm really interested in getting into sports on some level, especially when it comes to personnel and management. It's really hard to get in on the ground level so I've been looking for other types of business management to get into and then perhaps make a leap over later on.

I'm starting my MBA in August and hoping that will help me down the road

Postions available within the Columbus Blue Jacket organization.

Linky

Probably 90% of the "pro sports jobs" posted are ticket sales jobs and most non ticket jobs get hundreds of applicants. From my experience it is a very tough field to get jobs by applying cold from a posting.

I'm really interested in getting into sports on some level, especially when it comes to personnel and management. It's really hard to get in on the ground level so I've been looking for other types of business management to get into and then perhaps make a leap over later on.

Have you tried contacting any local sports teams to get your foot in the door? Not everyone can start right out with the NBA, NFL, etc. Sometimes you need to start with AA Baseball, etc.

The problem for me is that I do a little bit of everything since I had a hard time finding a job with a BS in sport management. Not many openings in pro sports that I've seen and I can't afford to take an unpaid internship for a year in hopes of getting one. I have law enforcement experience and driving experience, but I'm not really interested in driving anymore and while I do enjoy law enforcement to a certain extent I don't think I'll pursue it as a career forever.

I'm starting my MBA in August and hoping that will help me down the road

What about a position at the collegiate level?

Been looking for positions at all levels...they're hard to get unless you know someone who knows someone who blew someone. My whole thinking is, perhaps if I get into a similar position outside sports it might help me to make more contacts and find a way in. Or I might find something I like more.

Been looking for positions at all levels...they're hard to get unless you know someone who knows someone who blew someone. My whole thinking is, perhaps if I get into a similar position outside sports it might help me to make more contacts and find a way in. Or I might find something I like more.

When I was too young to know how foolish it was, I sent a resume to every pro sports team, looking for any kind of job, that was not sales related. I got responses from, surprisingly, three teams. The Oakland Raiders, San Diego Chargers and the New Jersey Nets. I ended up taking a job with the Nets, as it was closest to home, at that time. As it turned out, I was a sales person, trying to sell season tickets for one of the most gawdaful teams in the history of the NBA. I actually had a blast, but the job only lasted about 6 months. Eventually, everyone was canned, and the Nets did (another) "do-over".

Not sure if you're interested in this route, but if you want a career in athletics and you have plans to get your Master's, you might try to get a graduate assistant position in a sports information office at whatever college or university you plan on attending. You could get tuition paid for, perhaps. This time of year, there are usually GA spots open at many schools. I believe they are listed at www.cosida.com. (CoSIDA stands for College Sports Information Directors of America, by the way.)

It's probably not a path to Brian Cashman's job, but it isn't the assistant to the travelling secretary either.