Heat Is On

Dante

Ugh!

Been lucky so far this summer with relatively cool temps. Not now. 107 yesterday and supposed to be like this all week.

Our shop has three gas fired dryers that run close to 400 degrees. Doesn't help. Hope I make it through the next few days still healthy!!!

You are about 20 miles north of me- we have had a few spells already with about 100 degree weather. With the smoke and the heat, it is really hard to remain outside. I was out walking Sunday and had finished a bottle of water in the car. I had walked about 0.3 mile and started feeling nauseous. I turned around and stopped at a backyard along the tgrail. I asked a family for some water. I would have settled for a cup of tap water.but they gave me a bottle. I finished that by time I got to the car and started another there.

It's about 6:30 in the morning and it is already in the low 80s!

You are about 20 miles north of me- we have had a few spells already with about 100 degree weather. With the smoke and the heat, it is really hard to remain outside. I was out walking Sunday and had finished a bottle of water in the car. I had walked about 0.3 mile and started feeling nauseous. I turned around and stopped at a backyard along the tgrail. I asked a family for some water. I would have settled for a cup of tap water.but they gave me a bottle. I finished that by time I got to the car and started another there.

Wife 'n me keep a bottle of water in the cars when it gets hot here. It certainly heats up, but if something happens and you have to hike, hot water is better than nothing.

I suppose one of those low-priced coolers that gets plugged into the lighter socket might be a good idea. I don't know how well they work, though.

One thing about the bay area that I always found fascinating is that how is it so much cooler in the bay area & then you go 40-50 miles inland or what have you, & then temps are like 100 degrees. I know it probably has something to do with the ocean but geez, you would not think it would have that much effect on the temps.

You still have smoke down there? It was really bad here for a couple weeks but its cleared out pretty nice. I can't imagine this heat combined with forest fire smoke. And going to work today at 6am it was already 77 degrees. Gonna be real hard this week

One thing about the bay area that I always found fascinating is that how is it so much cooler in the bay area & then you go 40-50 miles inland or what have you, & then temps are like 100 degrees. I know it probably has something to do with the ocean but geez, you would not think it would have that much effect on the temps.

The cooler ocean temps cools the air around it. Once you get far enough inland the land is hotter and heats the air up to 100 degree temps.

Buffalo's weather sucks. California is awesome.

:lol:

I second that. :unsure:

Spent the long Fourth of July holiday in Palm Springs. 115 degrees and absolutely wonderful. We got out of the car on arrival I just loved the heat coming off the pavement. It was a bit muggy though at 25% humidity. :lol:

lol...almost. Screen printing shop. Guess I should have gone too College. :unsure:

I find the printing trades fascinating, Dante. I used to hoist barroom beers with an older fellow who kept me spellbound when he talked about his experiences, and the technology, in the printing biz.

I find the printing trades fascinating, Dante. I used to hoist barroom beers with an older fellow who kept me spellbound when he talked about his experiences, and the technology, in the printing biz.

What did Gutenberg drink?

The cooler ocean temps cools the air around it. Once you get far enough inland the land is hotter and heats the air up to 100 degree temps.

Not sure about SD but here we are on the inland side of a mountain range as well(Oakland on the other side) and it is significantly cooler there as well. Not as cool as SF but still a good 10-15 degrees cooler as soon as you get on the other side of the tunnel.

Ugh!

Been lucky so far this summer with relatively cool temps. Not now. 107 yesterday and supposed to be like this all week.

Our shop has three gas fired dryers that run close to 400 degrees. Doesn't help. Hope I make it through the next few days still healthy!!!

My first job in manufacturing was in a plating & painting shop. Heat was unbelievable. Had a paint baking walk-in oven that would have made the Nazis proud (OK that was poor taste)

Now I'm in a specialty paper printing plant whose processes demand 72 degrees and 50% RH. I don't even want to leave today.

Wait I got a pool and Coronas at home. 1/2 day today! :unsure:

My first job in manufacturing was in a plating & painting shop. Heat was unbelievable. Had a paint baking walk-in oven that would have made the Nazis proud (OK that was poor taste)

Now I'm in a specialty paper printing plant whose processes demand 72 degrees and 50% RH. I don't even want to leave today.

Wait I got a pool and Coronas at home. 1/2 day today! :unsure:

It may have been in poor taste but funny non the less. :lol:

Right now it's not too pleasant but overall I guess there are worse ways to make a buck. Like a lot of businesses here we are in competition with cheap labor both off shore and in L.A. We are fortunate enough to have a kind of niche market that,so far has kept us busy enough.

Not sure about SD but here we are on the inland side of a mountain range as well(Oakland on the other side) and it is significantly cooler there as well. Not as cool as SF but still a good 10-15 degrees cooler as soon as you get on the other side of the tunnel.

It depends on the onshore flow ocean breezes and the distance inland you are talking about. The ocean cools the air for miles and miles inland, but at a certain point, the sun heats up the land and the land heats the air and it starts to get hot, the cooling effect of the ocean only goes so far.

The hills (up to about 1500 feet) between the bay and the inland area (where Dante and I both live) can block the cool air. I live , as the crow flies, about 30-35 miles from the ocean. One time it was 55 at the SF Zoo (on the ocean) and it was 105 at my place!

I used to travel through the Caldecott Tunnel a lot. It connects Oakland to the towns on the other side of the Oakland Hills (The big fire in 1991 was right above the tunnel). I have seen it many times be pea soup fog in the 60s at the Oakland side of the tunnel and perfectly clear and in the 90s on the east side , less than a mile away.