Whitner Guarantees Playoffs

This was the last story on NFL Live today, with both Schelerth & Golic agreeing that the Bills would NOT make the playoffs. What jerkoffs!!!!!!!!

As much as I want to be wrong, I agree with them. This year the problem will be lack of offense as the masterminds Jauron/Shoenert/Edwards can't get out of their own way. A classic nice guys finish last story.

This was the last story on NFL Live today, with both Schelerth & Golic agreeing that the Bills would NOT make the playoffs. What jerkoffs!!!!!!!!

You shouldn't be so quick to judge people. What if those are their true feelings, would you prefer they lie or worse yet say nothing at all?

This was on SportCenter this morning as well. Basically reiterating that we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years so 'why would he say it'.

They then likened it to John Kitna saying the same thing about the Lions. The reporter said he didn't think that we'd make it due to us having a young QB.

Personally, I'd rather have a young team motivated to prove everyone wrong than to have them feel like they are a shoe-in to go to the playoffs.

I have no problem with his "guarantee" any professional or amateur athelete that does not go into a season expecting to succeed doesnt belong on the field. hopefully whitners "guarantee" is infectious and the rest of the team steps up to support the guarantee

Link

Tucked away in an item from Clifton Brown of SportingNews.com regarding the development of Bills rookie cornerback Leodis McKelvin is an eye-opener from McKelvin’s mentor, safety Donte Whitner.

Asked whether he thinks the Bills will make it to the postseason in 2008, Whitner says, “Do I expect us to make the playoffs? I’m guaranteeing it.”

Guarantees don’t mean as much as they used to in sports (think Joe Namath). Lately, guarantees often turn out to be a kiss of death. But Whitner’s words suggest a level of confidence that hasn’t been displayed by Buffalo’s pro football team in a long time, and we like it.

We also agree with Whitner — the Bills very well could steal the No. 6 seed in the 2008 playoffs. They were close in 2007, and the Tennessee Titans, who were the last team in a year ago, haven’t done enough in the offseason to hold off the Bills or any other serious challengers in the conference.

Hadn't seen this anywhere yet...

I'm really surprised by the amount of play this is getting, but it is the off season.

The post above that mentions Kitna and his guarantee last year is probably a good comparison. Last year we laughed at Kitna, this year we are being laughed at by some.

I do believe that when all is said and done Whitner will be proved correct.

This was on SportCenter this morning as well. Basically reiterating that we haven't made the playoffs in 8 years so 'why would he say it'.

They then likened it to John Kitna saying the same thing about the Lions. The reporter said he didn't think that we'd make it due to us having a young QB.

I thought Schlereth was pretty condescending in his analysis. I don't disagree with his points (young QB, AFC is a tough conference, etc.), but he didn't have to show up Whitner by talking down to him like he was a 6-year-old.

That said, I like Whitner's confidence and I think the team needs to develop a little swagger. I don't know if that will translate into a playoff berth, but a little confidence goes a long way.

I'm just glad to see someone stand up and open their mouth, someone who wants to be a leader and captain of this team, someone who holds themselves and the people they work with accountable. This team needed an attitude and an identity and it found one last year. This team became a team of heart and fight. Donte was a big part of that evolution.

Now is the time for the true leaders of this new team to emerge and Whitner is the start of what is hopefully a new era of pride and determination. The country is talking about us again and I think they will continue to be surprised at what we've put together here.

I'm just glad to see someone stand up and open their mouth, someone who wants to be a leader and captain of this team, someone who holds themselves and the people they work with accountable. This team needed an attitude and an identity and it found one last year. This team became a team of heart and fight. Donte was a big part of that evolution.

Now is the time for the true leaders of this new team to emerge and Whitner is the start of what is hopefully a new era of pride and determination. The country is talking about us again and I think they will continue to be surprised at what we've put together here.

Absolutely. I like it too.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't D. Roy of the sabres predict the same thing mid season this past year... And didn't lindy Ruff back him... Oh yea and didn't they miss the playoffs?

Ok, i love whitner just as much as the next guy, he is my fav bill. but come on man.

The only time what the experts have to say counts is in July. We just have to get it done on the field. I expect our D to be much improved. Basically five new starters. Poz could have 150 tackles this year. I like what Fewell did last year. Some innovative things.

As to the offense, who knows? New co-ordinator and we honestly don't know if the QB can get us in the end zone consistently.But it almost has to be better than last year, doesn't it?

One thing I have to say is that I am NOT ready to call Lynch a star. He so far is in the Henry- McGahee mold: a nice runner but not what I thought we were getting when we drafted him. There were times when I thought Jackson was better. Lynch must have more long runs for the Bills to take the next step Schonert MUST open up the offense, maybe even a little no-huddle to keep us awake when the bills have the ball.

Correct me if i'm wrong but didn't D. Roy of the sabres predict the same thing mid season this past year... And didn't lindy Ruff back him... Oh yea and didn't they miss the playoffs?

Ok, i love whitner just as much as the next guy, he is my fav bill. but come on man.

Really, what is the harm in this? If anything, it is a challenge to his teammates. I am all for a challenge. I want the team to have high expectations. I don't want this team to be happy with a 9-7 season that has them cleaning out their lockers right after New Years.