Dog People

I have a bit of a situation on my hands with a puppy that im watching until tuesday. Mind you, Ive raised a few dogs in my life, all from puppyhood, and they have all been well behaved, well trained dogs. Its something I pride myself on.

Here's the problem with this dog:

It spent its first 6 months in the shelter, and the last month at my friends house. My friends, while great people, dont really know how to train/own a dog.

What I now have on my hands is a puppy who is the opposite of house broken. If you pay her any amount of attention (good or bad), she pees immediately from excitement. I pick her up and run her outside to finish peeing and by the time i get her out, she has forgotten about it. She doesn't even realize she's peeing inside to begin with.

Once she's outside she is immediately distracted by birds, squirrels, cars, people, basically anything.

Then when she comes back inside, she'll pee again.

She even pees in her crate the second someone walks in the door.

She will NOT pee outside.

I tried ignoring her for a full day (enough as to not induce peeing) and then took her outside. Still no peeing outside.

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to break this cycle?? Or make her realize what the problem and what the goal is??

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

The "excited" peeing is hard to break. It takes a lot of (for lack of a better descriptor) calmness training. You won't be able to break it in a week.

thats exactly what i figured/was afraid of.

i know i probably wont be able to end the excited peeing. but id like to at least get her to realize she's SUPPOSED to pee outside.

i can walk her for half an hour and she doesnt even think to go. and i live on a HUGE city park where there are lots of dogs and scents indicating that its a good place to do her business...

the bright side of all this is that after only 1 day of the little pee machine, my girlfriend (who was DYING to get a dog) has agreed that it is way too much work and way beyond our situation right now to get one. so at least im off that hook.

If you only have the dog until Tuesday, there is nothing you can do to properly train it to stop. It is going to take a lot more time. Try starting with Rescue Remedy. It is a liquid herbal medication that helps calm the dog. It works on animals and humans. You can usually find it in places like the Vitamin Shoppe. One eyedropper full a couple times a day.

If you only have the dog until Tuesday, there is nothing you can do to properly train it to stop. It is going to take a lot more time. Try starting with Rescue Remedy. It is a liquid herbal medication that helps calm the dog. It works on animals and humans. You can usually find it in places like the Vitamin Shoppe. One eyedropper full a couple times a day.

cool, ill check into it.

i realize that there is no way ill get her completely trained by tuesday. but i would at least like to start the process so i can hand her back to my friends and say "here, keep doing this and she'll be ok"

what i dont want to happen is have this dog be 3 years old and still peeing everywhere. she really is a sweetheart and doesnt mean it. but she wont be allowed back over if this is the case.

edit: maybe ill just blow some bong hits into its crate? :thumbsup::thumbsup:

since you only have the dog for a few days, there's really nothing you can do. Long term, you'll need to set up a schedule and adhere to it strictly. You'll need to start with commands, rewards, and toys for going outside, ingoring and anger when she goes inside. I got a beagle puppy at age 7 weeks in early may. Just in the past week or so have we noticed that she's pretty well housebroken. She still won't tell us when she needs to go out, but she's got enough control to hold it inside, and s he's associated inside with her home and outside where she needs to go to the bathroom. We're just waiting for the day when sh e'll go to the back door and bark.

lol, ill put its snout right in my mouth and blow...

wait a minute. will that end me up with "picnic table guy"?

Eh, as long as you aren't confused with Brian Peppers. Everyone has sex with a picnic table sometime in their life.

...she's associated outside where she needs to go to the bathroom....

there is my main problem.

ill probably never get her to stop the submissive/excited peeing.

but if i could just get her to go while we're outside AT ALL, it would be a major accomplishment.

I have a bit of a situation on my hands with a puppy that im watching until tuesday. Mind you, Ive raised a few dogs in my life, all from puppyhood, and they have all been well behaved, well trained dogs. Its something I pride myself on.

Here's the problem with this dog:

It spent its first 6 months in the shelter, and the last month at my friends house. My friends, while great people, dont really know how to train/own a dog.

What I now have on my hands is a puppy who is the opposite of house broken. If you pay her any amount of attention (good or bad), she pees immediately from excitement. I pick her up and run her outside to finish peeing and by the time i get her out, she has forgotten about it. She doesn't even realize she's peeing inside to begin with.

Once she's outside she is immediately distracted by birds, squirrels, cars, people, basically anything.

Then when she comes back inside, she'll pee again.

She even pees in her crate the second someone walks in the door.

She will NOT pee outside.

I tried ignoring her for a full day (enough as to not induce peeing) and then took her outside. Still no peeing outside.

Does anyone have ANY advice on how to break this cycle?? Or make her realize what the problem and what the goal is??

Did your friend tell you about the dog's issues prior to leaving her in your care?

LOL

I scoop the turds and deposit them in the middle of the sidewalk, hoping that when people step in them, dog owners get the message and that non-dog owners share my disgust with self-centered dog owners.

Edited by stuckincincy

since you only have the dog for a few days, there's really nothing you can do. Long term, you'll need to set up a schedule and adhere to it strictly. You'll need to start with commands, rewards, and toys for going outside, ingoring and anger when she goes inside. I got a beagle puppy at age 7 weeks in early may. Just in the past week or so have we noticed that she's pretty well housebroken. She still won't tell us when she needs to go out, but she's got enough control to hold it inside, and s he's associated inside with her home and outside where she needs to go to the bathroom. We're just waiting for the day when sh e'll go to the back door and bark.

Try this. Seriously. I had one installed when we built our current house and it is unbelievable. Our back yard is fenced and our dog goes in and out as she pleases, without us having to worry about her running off. She wears a little magnet on her collar that activates the door as she gets close to it.

It's great for "potty time" obviously, but also fantastic in general because she enjoys being outside but changes her mind frequently. Without the automatic door, she'd be whining to be let out or whining to be let in. This is the best "quality of life" product I've purchased in a long time -- for us and for her.

I really think you need to go back to basic crate training. He/she will not pee in the crate. And then take her outside in regular intervals and if she doesn't pee, back into the crate. You may need to do this for a week. I would also take some old tissues you used to clean up the pee and place it outside.

The one problem you may have is that some dogs are so stubborn that they don't pee and get a urinary infection. Also, a dog that is over stimulated like that is not a good sign of a psychologically well adjusted dog. She likely has some time of anxiety that also needs to be dealt with. The amazing things with dogs is that it is really easy to change their behaviour if you know what you are doing.

I also highly recommend watching the show Dog Whisperer that is usually on TV.