Would everyone who would like to see Trent Edwards

• Replies 158
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

They gave up their 1st in the following season to draft Losman, and it cost them a 2nd and a 5th to do so. Yes, that equals 3 picks. They were fleeced.

To point out a technicality, they weren't fleeced.

Round 1, pick 22: 780

2005 Round 1, Round 2 pick 13, Round 5 pick 13: 895.50

Overpaid slightly, sure, but weren't fleeced in that trade.

Technically, it was drafting JP that was a bad decision, but the trade ultimately wasn't a fleecing.

Bledsoe was never the same after the injury vs. the jests. We both know this. Still, he had enough left to stick around and afford JP time to learn the game, and perhaps even step in at some point mid-season. Instead, he was cut, Dallas made the playoffs, and we had to watch Holcome.

It wasn't pretty, and it certainly didn't help Losman.

Actually Dallas did not make the playoffs with bledsoe starting. It was only half way thru bledsoe's 2nd year when Parcells replaced Drew with Romo that they made the playoffs. They missed the playoffs bledsoe's 1st year I believe.

No matter what way you word it, it was the wrong move. Don't start the young QB until he is ready. Who cares if Bledsoe can't take you to the superbowl- no QB in the history of the game could take any of our teams full of castoffs to the playoffs, much less the superbowl.

We should have either kept Bledsoe as a starter, or picked up a journeyman QB to start until JP was ready....I know in that case, Drew Bledsoe would have been available.Oh, and another thing......the thing about he got enough chances is a bunch of mindless drivel, and I've seen it since midway through his last season. You keep him until their is a better option, not until the fans get bored and want to move onto something else.

Actually, he was the same overrated QB that could put up big meaningless stats if you gave him the tools.

We did pick up a journeyman qb, his name was kelly Holcomb. Who, surprise, surprise, outplayed Losman his first year here.

Good post, K-dog. There was a thread a while back that got wiped in the server crash (I think) about JPL's phugtarded development process and how that reads like a textbook for what not to do to develop a young, project QB.

I think other teams aren't interested in JPL, at least in trading for him, because of a number of factors, some of which have been touched on.

1) He's going into the last year of his current contract, so to get value in such a trade the team would have to be willing to extend him. He hasn't shown enough to get such an extension. What is his market value? Is he ever going to blossom into a starter or will he continue to lay eggs and struggle? He hasn't shown he can take a starting QB job and hold onto it.

2) Other personnel people, like Bill Parcells, most likely see some of the same bad habits as Bills fans do. JPL just seems to lose focus of what he is doing out on the field at times, not working his way through the progression but big-time pressing and trying to make something happen instantly. Then his mechanics can go to carp and he launches a worm burner or a watermelon. (By the way, JPL has a career completion percentage of a hair under 59.1% (even with the '05 egg laying), which is excellent and exactly what a coach wants to see. It's much better than Eli Manning, who clearly is surrounded by a much better football team. It is also ahead of Drew Bledsoe at a similar point in their careers.) The very next series he'll stand in the pocket and deliver a strike down the sidelines. If these habits were slowly fading, that'd be one thing; but, they seem to continue to pop up like weeds.

3) The NFL markets superstars and it needs high-profile guys like 1st round QBs to come in early on and deliver, almost straight out of the gate. That's a tall order and it should come as no surprise that JPL, along with most QBs, has struggled in that. He was a college QB that got by on moxie and pure athleticism at a small school. To demand that he materialize into an NFL starter in '05 was sheer arrogance by Donahoe, Mularkey and Clements. Even so, bringing in a guy like JPL in a trade as a probable starter and with that 1st rounder label, could cost a front office guy his job if it gets ugly. Why take a chance on that? Heck, Daunte Culpepper has proven he can play in the NFL and GMs aren't interested in him and they have to trade nothing at all. This will be JPL's 5th season and his 3rd offense. By contrast, Peyton Manning has been in the same offense for 10 years. Continuity would've been nice; maybe Trent will have some.

4) What offense suits JPL's strengths? For that matter, what are his strengths? How does a coach make him comfortable out there and let the play come to him? He was Tom Donahoe's 1st rounder, so who's really going to stick their neck out for an extended time to give JPL every possible chance as an unquestioned starter? If Coach Conservative isn't willing to go more than a season and a handful of games, who is?

JPL was a QB who might have had a chance if he had gone to a team with an established veteran QB (like Favre, Peyton, etc.) and he could've rode the pine and learned the NFL game for a few years. He might still surprise and pull it out of the dive he's in now; who knows? With the success his draft class is having, I wouldn't be totally shocked. No, it just wouldn't be very shocking to see JPL blossom after he leaves Buffalo.

Doesnt anybody think it is odd that not one team called the Bills on draft day to inquire about Losman? I think that says it all about what the rest of the league thinks of Losman. The contract issue does not hold water with me either. If any team thought highly of Losman I would think they would have no problem shooting over a mid round pick & then having all offseason trying to get him to sign an extension. Hell, did'nt the bills give losman's agent permission to go seek a trade? & still no teams were interested. If Losman does not get any playing time this year, I really do not think he will be able to find a team next year willing to give him a shot as the starter. & that is saying something with the bad qb play all around the league.

He's the same guy who constantly rips Jauron for being an average to below average coach yet keeps making excuses for Losman. The definition of irony.

I don't know about that. I think it's entirely possible that when Jauron and Losman's careers in football are over that JP will have had the better career.

I don't know about that. I think it's entirely possible that when Jauron and Losman's careers in football are over that JP will have had the better career.

I suppose anything is possible, & it is not like Jauron is at the pinnacle of the coaching profession. My guess though is Losman will be out of the league in three years.

They started off really well, but faded. Everybody thinks they made the playoffs that year because Bledsoe lit it up the 1st half of the season. But he faded in the 2nd half. Boy that sounds familar.

True indeed. Both of his starting OTs were injured as I recall, the LT for much of the season. I remember Parcells saying that you could cover for 1, but not 2 injured OTs.

Drew had skills that few could match, but he often seemed to need way too much help. I also think that the head injuries took a huge toll on him, and became worse as the season progressed.

I am glad he chose to retire and turned down the comeback offer he was said to have received. At least he is still in one piece, so to speak.

True indeed. Both of his starting OTs were injured as I recall, the LT for much of the season. I remember Parcells saying that you could cover for 1, but not 2 injured OTs.

Drew had skills that few could match, but he often seemed to need way too much help. I also think that the head injuries took a huge toll on him, and became worse as the season progressed.

I am glad he chose to retire and turned down the comeback offer he was said to have received. At least he is still in one piece, so to speak.

I will tell you Bill. First time I seen Bledsoe in a bills uniform was a preseason game. The bills got the kickoff & I think one of the first few plays from scrimmage bledsoe drops back & fires across the hash marks to the opposite side line this 30 yrd rope to moulds. I mean the thing never got more then 10-12 feet in the air. Hit him in perfect stride with a guy only a step or two behind him. The pass was only 30yrds but given that it was 3 quarters of the way across the field probably traveled more like 50yrds. Kelly, johnson, or losman could not of made that throw on their best day. I looked at my wife when he completed that & I told her there are probably only 2 or 3 guys in the league that could make that throw & we got one of them. To say I was excited for the possibilities at that moment was an understatement. I would soon realize though that his shortcomings proved fatal no matter how good of an arm he had. I will say this for Bledsoe. Bledsoe probably had a top 10 arm & Im talking about top 10 of all time.

Link?

Well considering that the bills openly said not one team called them on draft weekend to inquire about Losman gives me a pretty good indication that teams were not very interested. I have no reason to suspect why the bills would say something like this if it was not true.

Well considering that the bills openly said not one team called them on draft weekend to inquire about Losman gives me a pretty good indication that teams were not very interested. I have no reason to suspect why the bills would say something like this if it was not true.

Link?

Have you heard the rumors that the Packers were calling about Losman? Last I heard the Packers were still an NFL team. Other rumors were the Chiefs were interested and the Dolphins, who are interested in everybody.

At any rate, I can't see the Buffalo Bills organization being stupid enough to hold a press conference to announce officially that no team has any interest whatsoever in their former starting QB.

Link?

Have you heard the rumors that the Packers were calling about Losman? Last I heard the Packers were still an NFL team. Other rumors were the Chiefs were interested and the Dolphins, who are interested in everybody.

At any rate, I can't see the Buffalo Bills organization being stupid enough to hold a press conference to announce officially that no team has any interest whatsoever in their former starting QB.

Link?

Link?

Here is one.

http://www.rototimes.com/nfl/news.php?tqid...2&nid=37644

Note: I said this is just a rumor. Don't get your hopes up. :thumbsup:

Here's one from the Gazette.

http://www.greenbaypressgazette.com/apps/p.../1989/frontpage

And here is a link to the Chiefs and Dolphins rumor prior to the draft.

http://www.nflgridirongab.com/2008/02/25/d...ills-qb-losman/