The Sporting News Football Preview

Sporting News in the 70's and early 80's was a great publication- especially for baseball. Then they lost their way and it is far inferior today. Their football coverage is poor. 5-11? We get a healthy Poz, add Stroud and Spencer Johnson to our Dline, add Leodis, Will James, Reggie Corner to our secondary, add James Hardy and Derek Fine to our offense, Trent has a season under his belt, and we were a very young and competitive team last year.....and we are projected to be 5-11? Um OK :lol:

I call Shinanigans on that prediction. They had the Jests finishing ahead of us, and we didn't have much better of a record than the Phins. BS. We're at least an 8-8 team this year.

I swear to God I'm going to pistol whip the next guy who says Shenanigans.

:lol:

Sporting News in the 70's and early 80's was a great publication- especially for baseball. Then they lost their way and it is far inferior today. Their football coverage is poor. 5-11? We get a healthy Poz, add Stroud and Spencer Johnson to our Dline, add Leodis, Will James, Reggie Corner to our secondary, add James Hardy and Derek Fine to our offense, Trent has a season under his belt, and we were a very young and competitive team last year.....and we are projected to be 5-11? Um OK :lol:

Exactly. Message to TSN, all those player we had on IR last year, they're all back.

Has the Bills coming in 3rd in the division with a record of 5-11! :lol:

Lindy's is so much better

That looks very realistic if Lynch is suspended for 4 games. If not then I think we win 9 games this year.

That looks very realistic if Lynch is suspended for 4 games. If not then I think we win 9 games this year.

Remember that TSN made these predictions before Lynch's troubles. They still have the Bills at 5-11 even if Lych is not suspended.

You really think the Bills will be 5-11? Worse than last year? Why do you think that?

They haven't made the playoffs in 8 seasons, very nearly had the worst offense AND defense in the NFL last year, and have a head coach who has had only one winning season in 7 in his career, and yet there are still people who react with outrage that preseason publications aren't showing respect.

They haven't made the playoffs in 8 seasons, very nearly had the worst offense AND defense in the NFL last year, and have a head coach who has had only one winning season in 7 in his career, and yet there are still people who react with outrage that preseason publications aren't showing respect.

I really don't expect the Bills to be much improved this coming season, maybe 9-7 at best, but 5-11 with the D beefed up

and a lot of injured guys coming back seems a bit much.

Sometimes I'll take a high level view, and try to look at the changes that I would expect to impact the team, positive or negative, and then

assign a +- win/loss value based on that:

o + 1/2 game improvement over last year, returning injured players. It can't get any worse than last year.

o + 1 game improvement, S. Fairchild being gone. Addition by subtraction.

o + 1 game improvement, better D-line, which will also help secondary.

o - 1/2 game decline, Jets and Miami won't be that horrible again.

o + 1/2 game improvment, 2nd year for T. Edwards. Will show marginal better play.

All said, you would add up and get + 3 games over '07. Problem is, DJ and staff will also probably cost a few games, particularly

when going so conservative.

Still miss playoffs.

Why should'nt they show the Bills any respect? The Bills may not have had the best offseason of all the teams in the NFL, but they did make moves to try and improve the team. Despite that they predict the Bills will be 5-11 and they predict the Jets will be 8-8. The Jets!? I do'nt care what the Jets did during the offseason, they are still relying on Chad Pennington and/or Kellen Clemons to lead them to victory. Give me a break.

Another example:

TSN also predicts that the Chicago Bears will finish second in the NFC North. They placed them ahead of the Vikings. Now if you think the Vikings are only winning because of Adrian Peterson, fine. Still the Vikings did make moves to try and improve the team and challenge for the division. But what exactly did the Bears do, that makes TSN think they will be better than Minnesota? The Bears are sticking with Rex Grossman at QB, and if he fails they will go with Kyle Orton. Not to mention they lost their 2 best WR's, Bernard Berrian & Muhsin Muhammed, and replaced them with Marty Booker, Rashied Davis, & Brandon Lloyd? In other words the Bears will once again rely on their defense to win games for them, oh and Devin Hester too. They did this last year, and they finished 7-9, one season after a Super Bowl appearance. Sounds like the Bears are getting plenty of respect for doing nothing.

Why should'nt they show the Bills any respect? The Bills may not have had the best offseason of all the teams in the NFL, but they did make moves to try and improve the team. Despite that they predict the Bills will be 5-11 and they predict the Jets will be 8-8. The Jets!? I do'nt care what the Jets did during the offseason, they are still relying on Chad Pennington and/or Kellen Clemons to lead them to victory. Give me a break.

Another example:

TSN also predicts that the Chicago Bears will finish second in the NFC North. They placed them ahead of the Vikings. Now if you think the Vikings are only winning because of Adrian Peterson, fine. Still the Vikings did make moves to try and improve the team and challenge for the division. But what exactly did the Bears do, that makes TSN think they will be better than Minnesota? The Bears are sticking with Rex Grossman at QB, and if he fails they will go with Kyle Orton. Not to mention they lost their 2 best WR's, Bernard Berrian & Muhsin Muhammed, and replaced them with Marty Booker, Rashied Davis, & Brandon Lloyd? In other words the Bears will once again rely on their defense to win games for them, oh and Devin Hester too. They did this last year, and they finished 7-9, one season after a Super Bowl appearance. Sounds like the Bears are getting plenty of respect for doing nothing.

It's a prediction, not a bet. Last year at this time the Bears were the defending NFC Champs and the Jets had made the playoffs. Pennington is very limited, but despite that he has lead the Jets to the playoffs several times. On the other hand, the Vikings and the Bills have been out of the playoff mix for quite a while. Also take into account that the league is driven a great deal by the quality of head coaches, and Lovie Smith and Eric Mangini get more respect than Brad Childress and Dick Jauron. Smith's been to the playoffs and SB and Mangini is 1 for 2 in playoff appearances and comes from the "coaching tree" of the league's most successful coach. Childress has done nothing and Jauron has a long a miserable track record of 6 losing seasons in 7 years plus an 0-3 interim stint in Detroit.

With any luck, the Bills purposeful building of a young team that Jauron might actually be able to motivate will pay off. But I don't see how you can blame people who look at his horrendous track record and say he's probably going to have another losing season.