Anybody see this?

ofiba

Gotta say, I'm a little shocked and disappointed that he went over to the Dark Side and joined ESPN...I have no idea why he left SI, but with the major lack of anything resembling journalism going on there (especially on Page 2) I'm surprised he'd want to be associated with them.

He had 17 million reasons.

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

I don't think anyone knows what you are saying, at least not in this thread.

I am just saying... It isn't that shocking given our pastime... Yes, it is bad and they should be punished. What are they gonna do? Ban them for life from every game? :lol::lol:

Punish them... There is nothing really to say except a lot of wasted breath (especially mine)... My God, it is just a silly game...

Catcher ducked and beaned an UMP, lets scream end of the world!

<_<:lol:

I am just saying... It isn't that shocking given our pastime... Yes, it is bad and they should be punished. What are they gonna do? Ban them for life from every game? :lol:<_<

Punish them... There is nothing really to say except a lot of wasted breath (especially mine)... My God, it is just a silly game...

Catcher ducked and beaned an UMP, lets scream end of the world!

<_<:lol:

Wow. That's all I can say. "Not shocking given our pastime." You're saying that we shouldn't be surprised when something that probably last happened in a pro game maybe 80-100 years ago occurs in a high school game today. When exactly was the last time you saw something like this happen? Have you ever seen a catcher purposely miss a pitch to let the umpire get hit?

The "it's just a silly game" excuse flies in Little League and rec leagues -- not in a HS game featuring drafted/scouted kids who are throwing 80-90 MPH fastballs. Oh wait, if this was 100 years ago they'd be going off to work, right? Or maybe it's OK because we saw worse in pro sports 110 years ago. Yeah, we wouldn't expect the morals and sportsmanship to evolve and crap like this disappear.

Nice strawman, BTW. :lol: "Let's scream end of the world." No one is screaming end of the world. But there is no way in hell that catcher should see the field for the next 20 games minimum. You let this douche get away with this here, what is he going to be like in college, or if he makes it onto a minor league team where the pressure is even more intense? What does it tell the younger players on the team when the coach backs it, or the little guys in the stands? Why stop there? Don't like the calls? Follow the ump to his car or scare him with your car.

Glad to see one adult -- the head coach at the college where the idiot catcher wanted to walk on -- has his head on straight and isn't buying the bullschitt. Hopefully the pitcher gets whatever is coming to him as well. <_< <_<

Wow. That's all I can say. "Not shocking given our pastime." You're saying that we shouldn't be surprised when something that probably last happened in a pro game maybe 80-100 years ago occurs in a high school game today. When exactly was the last time you saw something like this happen? Have you ever seen a catcher purposely miss a pitch to let the umpire get hit?

The "it's just a silly game" excuse flies in Little League and rec leagues -- not in a HS game featuring drafted/scouted kids who are throwing 80-90 MPH fastballs. Oh wait, if this was 100 years ago they'd be going off to work, right? Or maybe it's OK because we saw worse in pro sports 110 years ago. Yeah, we wouldn't expect the morals and sportsmanship to evolve and crap like this disappear.

Nice strawman, BTW. :lol: "Let's scream end of the world." No one is screaming end of the world. But there is no way in hell that catcher should see the field for the next 20 games minimum. You let this douche get away with this here, what is he going to be like in college, or if he makes it onto a minor league team where the pressure is even more intense? What does it tell the younger players on the team when the coach backs it, or the little guys in the stands? Why stop there? Don't like the calls? Follow the ump to his car or scare him with your car.

Glad to see one adult -- the head coach at the college where the idiot catcher wanted to walk on -- has his head on straight and isn't buying the bullschitt. Hopefully the pitcher gets whatever is coming to him as well. <_< <_<

What do you think should be done? 20 game is fine with me.

Lifetime ban?

:lol::lol:

What do you think should be done? 20 game is fine with me.

Lifetime ban?

:lol::lol:

The pitcher is a junior, according to the AJC, so I'd start with 20 games in the HS season - regular season and playoffs - and roll that over into his senior season. The catcher lost his walk-on status at the college level, so that's good punishment for me. The program is on warning, so any further incidents would result in forfeits and possible bans from playoff contention. The coaching staff should be on probation as well.

If I were commissioner? If I had my way I'd ban them from playing in the coming summer as well -- no Legion ball, no summer travel teams, nothing.

But I guess a slap on the wrist should suffice, since after all they were doing worse things 100 years ago in the pros. :lol:<_<

On another topic BM... What ever happened to the Cubs prospect that beaned someone for timing his pitches? He ruined his career forever... I haven't heard about that in a long time...

??

We were just talking about this a couple weeks ago, during the College World Series Super Regionals. The prospect in question was from Wichita State, and the topic came up on the Florida State message boards. I guess Christensen was released in 2004 and I think is out of baseball. There is a good article linked in the message board thread and there are a couple interesting things - the waiting batter was 24 feet away from home plate while Christensen was warming up, and Christensen and others have confirmed that Wichita State pitchers were taught to brush back anyone timing their warmup pitches.

LINK

It was April 23, 1999. A lefthanded hitter leading off the game for the University of Evansville (Ind.), Molina walked from the third base dugout around Wichita State's catcher. The catcher took warmup pitches from Ben Christensen, a major league prospect whose 95-mph fastball helped him win 21 of 22 college games.

As Christensen threw, Molina stood on the first base side of home plate. He was 24 feet away. We know it was 24 feet because investigators later measured the distance from the plate to the bloodstains.

-snip-

At that moment, the third baseman/catcher's vision was 20/10. He was a .310 hitter who had played baseball since age 8 and wanted to be a big-leaguer. All that would change in the next moment, for as Molina turned his head back toward home plate, he became the victim of an act so contemptible it's sickening.

The Evansville coach, Jim Brownlee: "After Christensen's fifth warmup pitch, his catcher calls for a slider, and Christensen makes a quarter-turn to his left. I'm thinking, `What's he doing?' Anthony had his head down, and I'm seeing Christensen turn toward him, and, damn, he lets it go. Then Anthony's head comes up. The ball gets him square in the face. He never saw it."

A sledgehammer against the eye. That's a doctor's description of the damage. A fractured left eye socket. Twenty-three stitches. The first test result of Molina's vision after surgery: 20/400, legally blind.

Why should there families have to pay? They weren't out there. Let the kids who are guilty pay the consequences. It sounds like they are paying for there stupidity.

Assuming that they are minors the families would be responsible.

I've seen Refs in Basket Ball get hit in the face with a ball on bad pass. I've seen Linesmen in Hockey get hit with some pretty hard clearing shots. I've seen Refs in Football get run over by linebackers.

This video doesn't surprise me.

I've seen Refs in Basket Ball get hit in the face with a ball on bad pass. I've seen Linesmen in Hockey get hit with some pretty hard clearing shots. I've seen Refs in Football get run over by linebackers.

This video doesn't surprise me.

I've seen things like that happen as well, but never anything that was as blatantly obvious and clearly done on purpose as this.

I've seen things like that happen as well, but never anything that was as blatantly obvious and clearly done on purpose as this.

It honestly didn't look that obviously purposeful to me. You can see the pitcher do a slight double-take when the ball hits the ump, as though he was slightly surprised by it.

Of course, he may have just been slightly surprised that he could throw that accurately. And I don't know what the hell the catcher was thinking.

It honestly didn't look that obviously purposeful to me. You can see the pitcher do a slight double-take when the ball hits the ump, as though he was slightly surprised by it.

Of course, he may have just been slightly surprised that he could throw that accurately. And I don't know what the hell the catcher was thinking.

I don't know about the pitcher, I can't really tell from his reaction whether he knew what was going on. Maybe the catcher is completely to blame, called the fastball and dropped at the last second. But the catcher's actions scream that it was done purposely to me, because you can see him flashe his glove up for a split second before he drops to his knees. If they truly got crossed up as they claim - he called curveball and the pitcher threw a fastball - the catcher's reaction should be totally different. You would see him stab his glove at the ball as it goes by, not drop to his knees for a ball that is over his head.

Then again, considering all the witnesses was talking about how the pitcher and his SS brother were pissing and moaning all game about the ump's strike zone, it isn't a stretch to think that he would be in on it.