Can you spare some carbon credits for the God of Global Warming?

I'm not supporting Al Gore or his use of energy, but it helps to get both sides of the story

This is a completely stupid statement by his spokesperson:

In addition, the Gores participate in the Nashville Electric Service's Green Power Switch program, which allows them to buy their electricity from renewable sources like wind power, solar power or methane gas.

"When they do use power, it's green power," she said, adding that 33 solar panels also supply about 4 percent of the household's power needs.

You don't get to choose where the electricity you use comes from.

Electricity from wind is not shipped directly to Al Gore's house. That's stupid.

Wind power (and other things like it) allow utilities to run their least efficient power plants less when the wind is blowing. That's it. When the wind isn't blowing, those inefficient power plants are cranked right back up, because the demand still has to be met. By the way, the peak time for wind power: 2 AM. Average peak power times for utilities 2pm-7pm.

By Al Gore using 19 times the electricity that an average person uses, he's not helping anything. Claiming that it's ok, because his power comes from renewable resources is complete crap.

His own solar panels are providing a whopping 4% of his power which is means that his utility is still providing him with 204687 kwh/year. Which is still 18.5 times what the average customer uses in a year.

If you want to actually figure out how much wind (and other renewable sources) power Al is using, you'd need to look at his usage all throughout the day, and then check his utilities power % makeup at each of those times. I guarantee you Al is using way more fossil fuel power than renewable power by a long shot. He's still also using way more fossil fuel power than the average American by a retarded amount.

That's not the other side of the story, that's pure spin on Al's hypocrisy.

Electricity from wind is not shipped directly to Al Gore's house. That's stupid.

Wind power (and other things like it) allow utilities to run their least efficient power plants less when the wind is blowing. That's it. When the wind isn't blowing, those inefficient power plants are cranked right back up, because the demand still has to be met. By the way, the peak time for wind power: 2 AM. Average peak power times for utilities 2pm-7pm.

By Al Gore using 19 times the electricity that an average person uses, he's not helping anything. Claiming that it's ok, because his power comes from renewable resources is complete crap.

His own solar panels are providing a whopping 4% of his power which is means that his utility is still providing him with 204687 kwh/year. Which is still 18.5 times what the average customer uses in a year.

If you want to actually figure out how much wind (and other renewable sources) power Al is using, you'd need to look at his usage all throughout the day, and then check his utilities power % makeup at each of those times. I guarantee you Al is using way more fossil fuel power than renewable power by a long shot. He's still also using way more fossil fuel power than the average American by a retarded amount.

That statement about the solar panels...:devil:. If I had 33 solar panels, I'd be a net seller of electricity annually to the power companies. He would need 825 to get to that point. And any carbon benefit that would come from powering his mansion with that many solar panels would probably be negated by the carbon cost of producing the panels in the first place.

instead of ranting, at least make an attempt to verify your opinion... Nashville Electric Green Power Switch :devil:

Making the Green Power Switch® is easy. This renewable energy initiative offers our customers a choice in the type of power they buy.

What is green power? Green power is electricity generated from clean, renewable resources such as solar, wind and methane gas.

Electrons are electrons. Once they get in the wire, they go everywhere. This "This place uses Green Power" mantra is BS unless they get all their power from being directly hooked up to solar panels and windmills.

instead of ranting, at least make an attempt to verify your opinion... Nashville Electric Green Power Switch :devil:

From my understanding, he's technically right: Al Gore doesn't get to choose where his energy comes from.

Those programs simply ensure that the amount of energy you purchased to be green will be sent through the sytem at some point to some one.

It also doesn't say how much money they spend in that program. You have to buy "blocks" of energy - they could buy one block for 4 bucks and say that they participate in the program.

From my understanding, he's technically right: Al Gore doesn't get to choose where his energy comes from.

Those programs simply ensure that the amount of energy you purchased to be green will be sent through the sytem at some point to some one.

It also doesn't say how much money they spend in that program. You have to buy "blocks" of energy - they could buy one block for 4 bucks and say that they participate in the program.

well, obviously you cannot control where the energy comes from on the wire, but he's offsetting the amount of fossil fuels he would have used by purchasing some level of renewables. According to the Tennessean he purchased 108 blocks per month for the past 3 months, or about $432 per month.

Again, I'm not justifying it, and actually scratching my head trying to understand how he is using so much, other than the fact it's a 20 room mansion.

I work for a utility that sells wind power.

I know how it works. We also "sold" wind power to customers at a cheaper rate when it was first introduced. Why would we do this? Several reasons: It is free fuel to us, which means we can pass that savings on to the customer, in addition to allowing us to throttle down our less efficient plants to meet demand. It also creates public awareness about our efforts to deliver cheap, clean electricity to them. It also allows us to determine customer interest as to whether we should pursue future wind generation.

The electricity that went into their homes was not straight from a wind turbine. It went onto the transmission network, and was combined with the power generated from our fossil fuel plants (6100MW system load, 120 MW from wind). Many Utilities aren't even allowed to use their wind generation in their system model as base case load (6100MW). They have to be able to meet their system load with reliable power (fossil fuels usually). Wind power only allows them to turn down generation from less efficient plants, when the wind is blowing.

Understand how electricity works instead of spewing ignorant trash. 0:)

Some fun wind power facts:

1) High winds means more electricity right?

Wrong

The wind can blow too hard to generate electricity. What do I mean? Well, the wind turbines are only rated up to about 40 mph winds. At that wind speed, they have to be shut down, so they don't break. So, in addition to wind mainly blowing in the middle of the night (when electricity demand is at its lowest), it can also blow too hard to get any electricity from at all.

2) We have a 100MW wind farm. When the wind is blowing, we get 100MW free power.

Wrong

Last I was told, on average wind farms output power much less than their rated number. I believe in our typical experiences, actual output is around 20%. I've read of numbers as high as 30%, but I'm not sure how accurate those are. I'd feel pretty safe assuming about 20%. What does this mean? That 100 MW wind farm is really only gonna generate 20 MW of power.

Understand how electricity works instead of spewing ignorant trash. :devil:

I meant you are wrong if you're saying consumers don't have the ability to purchase green power vs fossil fuel. I also agreed that you cannot control the actual source of electricity that gets pumped into your home. If I misunderstood you, I apologize.

The wind can blow too hard to generate electricity. What do I mean? Well, the wind turbines are only rated up to about 40 mph winds. At that wind speed, they have to be shut down, so they don't break. So, in addition to wind mainly blowing in the middle of the night (when electricity demand is at its lowest), it can also blow too hard to get any electricity from at all.

This actually surprises me...not in principle, but in that I'd think it's possible to engineer around the limitation. Is it not possible for some reason to design a wind turbine with variable pitch blades, akin to a constant speed airplane propeller, so that turbine blades can be partially feathered in high winds?

This actually surprises me...not in principle, but in that I'd think it's possible to engineer around the limitation. Is it not possible for some reason to design a wind turbine with variable pitch blades, akin to a constant speed airplane propeller, so that turbine blades can be partially feathered in high winds?

I don't know a lot about the design of the turbines.

I'm sure it's probably possible. It's more likely that the costs of the design and materials to increase the speed limits are too high right now. I'm sure like anything else, in 10-20 years, that won't be nearly as big of a problem.

At that point, the problem may be available space to build a wind farm.

I'm told that we need about 10 acres per windmill. Each windmill is rated at about 1 MW. So 100 MW wind farm needs about 1000 acres.

Again, the actual output is probably between 20%-30%of the rated value. So to actually get 100MW, you'd need about 4000 acres (25%).

100MW is really a drop in the bucket for a lot of utilities. For our 720,000 customers, we generate about 6100MW. So to even make a sizable dent using wind power, we're gonna need a lot of land.

Then we start getting into the whole decimation of the Lesser Prairie Chicken issue, and our available space is reduced dramatically.

Environmentalists need to decide. Green power or the lesser prairie chicken.