Celtics/Lakers NBA finals...

Buftex

That game was just awesome. Talk about a nightmare start for the Celtics, couldn't make a bucket or defend to save their life. The formula for beating the Lakers is simple, shut down Kobe and you have a great chance to win. The Lakers have a nice supporting cast, but no one to go to other than KB. The Celtics are a deep team that doesn't depend on one player. I thought the Ray Allen drive to make it a 5 point lead late in the gaem summed up the difference in these teams. When RA had the ball it was one on one and the Celts were spread out, no one on the Lakers knew who was going to end up with the ball. Turns out RA used that to his advantage and drove the lane with no Lakers there to help. If the Lakers were in that same situation, it's pretty obvious who's getting the ball. Every defender would be cheating towards the lane waiting to help on D. All in all a great game if you're a Celtics fan or Laker hater.....

• Replies 142
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

That game was just awesome. Talk about a nightmare start for the Celtics, couldn't make a bucket or defend to save their life. The formula for beating the Lakers is simple, shut down Kobe and you have a great chance to win. The Lakers have a nice supporting cast, but no one to go to other than KB. The Celtics are a deep team that doesn't depend on one player. I thought the Ray Allen drive to make it a 5 point lead late in the gaem summed up the difference in these teams. When RA had the ball it was one on one and the Celts were spread out, no one on the Lakers knew who was going to end up with the ball. Turns out RA used that to his advantage and drove the lane with no Lakers there to help. If the Lakers were in that same situation, it's pretty obvious who's getting the ball. Every defender would be cheating towards the lane waiting to help on D. All in all a great game if you're a Celtics fan or Laker hater.....

What was odd about last night, Kobe only had 3 points in the first half, and I think, only put up about 6 shots the whole first half. They followed their season long formula, of Kobe spreading the ball around in the first half, and then trying to have him take over late in the game. The Celtics were ready for it, in the second half. They took Kobe out, and none of those other guys came through for them at all.

I feel bad, because after the first two and half series of this years playoffs, I had written off Ray Allen. He was playing horrible defense, and, to make matters worse, his shooting was for crap...he has really amped it up for the finals.

What I also find interesting, while KG has been more than solid in these playoffs, he hasn't really had one or two huge games, just his usual 16 points, 11 rebounds. Paul Pierce may finally get the recognition he has deserved for a while.

Losing Bynum really hurt us for the finals.......and not have Trever Ariza for so long also really hurt as well.....

Proud of the guys...they werent even supposed to make the playoffs this year.

Yeah, Bynum would help. The Lakers are just not a good defensive team, particularly up the middle (where have we heard that assesment before?) No reason for anyone to be ashamed. It is all for fun.

I am proud of the Celtics, because I heard only 2 "experts", out of about 15, pick them to win this series. Some of the ESPN jokers were picking Lakers in 5, and one, even picked the Lakers to sweep. The Celtics haven't won it yet, but to hear some of these guys predictions, you would have thought the Celtics wouldn't evern be competitive in this series...they were going to be outcoached by Phil, and outscored by Kobe.

I don't consider myself an expert on much of anything, but I was thinking the Celtics were a much better team. But all the experts were telling me differently. I was starting to mentally prepare to be disappointed. I wasn't too scared by the near collapse in game 2 (I never thought the Lakers were going to win), and I kind of expected the Lakers to win game 3. After a miserable 1st half, and a bad start to the third, I have to honest, I was alreay thinking about Sundays game. The C's were getting so thourougly trashed, I never would have thought they could come back. Lets just say, I was having my doubt in faith!

But, as in any sport, when everything is going wrong, playing good defense seems to be the best solution to turning the tide. Eventually, if you deny the oppenent their scoring chances, your chances will come to you.

Yeah, Bynum would help. The Lakers are just not a good defensive team, particularly up the middle (where have we heard that assesment before?) No reason for anyone to be ashamed. It is all for fun.

I am proud of the Celtics, because I heard only 2 "experts", out of about 15, pick them to win this series. Some of the ESPN jokers were picking Lakers in 5, and one, even picked the Lakers to sweep. The Celtics haven't won it yet, but to hear some of these guys predictions, you would have thought the Celtics wouldn't evern be competitive in this series...they were going to be outcoached by Phil, and outscored by Kobe.

I don't consider myself an expert on much of anything, but I was thinking the Celtics were a much better team. But all the experts were telling me differently. I was starting to mentally prepare to be disappointed. I wasn't too scared by the near collapse in game 2 (I never thought the Lakers were going to win), and I kind of expected the Lakers to win game 3. After a miserable 1st half, and a bad start to the third, I have to honest, I was alreay thinking about Sundays game. The C's were getting so thourougly trashed, I never would have thought they could come back. Lets just say, I was having my doubt in faith!

But, as in any sport, when everything is going wrong, playing good defense seems to be the best solution to turning the tide. Eventually, if you deny the oppenent their scoring chances, your chances will come to you.

I really always thought all year long that we needed to get Bynum and Ariza back to win (the laker fans have been strug along by the organization all year long thinking we could actually get them back)

But then we went through 3 50 plus win teams in the west without them and you start to believe you have a chance.

But in the end...it was as I realized. Offense regardless of how good it is comes and goes even with the best offensive teams and there are times against good D teams that you HAVE to knuckle down and play shut down D until the ball starts falling for you again on offense. I am not ready to scream consiracy but the fact is this the refs picked and chose when they would let them play.......and when the flow changes the lakers were unable to adjust to matching physcial with physical. Pao Gasol is a fine player......but he will NEVER be confused with a defensive player.......we needed to grab boards, guard 3 point shooters, move people around in the paint....

And we just could not do it....also.....we have some players on this team that are flat out just mentally weak. They are great when things are going well....but when we hit adversity they go into a shell and say "SAVE US KOBE" namely Luke Walton, Lamar Odom, and Vlad Rad .

I really always thought all year long that we needed to get Bynum and Ariza back to win (the laker fans have been strug along by the organization all year long thinking we could actually get them back)

But then we went through 3 50 plus win teams in the west without them and you start to believe you have a chance.

But in the end...it was as I realized. Offense regardless of how good it is comes and goes even with the best offensive teams and there are times against good D teams that you HAVE to knuckle down and play shut down D until the ball starts falling for you again on offense. I am not ready to scream consiracy but the fact is this the refs picked and chose when they would let them play.......and when the flow changes the lakers were unable to adjust to matching physcial with physical. Pao Gasol is a fine player......but he will NEVER be confused with a defensive player.......we needed to grab boards, guard 3 point shooters, move people around in the paint....

And we just could not do it....also.....we have some players on this team that are flat out just mentally weak. They are great when things are going well....but when we hit adversity they go into a shell and say "SAVE US KOBE" namely Luke Walton, Lamar Odom, and Vlad Rad .

Well, take solace in the fact that the Lakers are a pretty young team. They are going to have a chance to contend for another 5 or 6 years (or however long Kobe is good). I will enjoy this Celtics season, because it has been a long time since I got a lot of joy watching them. But, I am under no illusion that they are going to go on a run being a perenial contender.

They are probably closer to the Miami Heat team that won it all a few years ago, than they are the Lakers. I am just going to enjoy it while it lasts....

Congrats to the Lakers. They really came to play tonight. If the C's keep trying to coast early in the games, they may find themselves in a seventh game. Having Perkins out, and Garnett missing a lot of time with foul troubles did not help anything from the Celtics perspective, but, they just had a few breakdowns, down the stretch. Those are their two best big men. KG missing those two field goals, and the "steal"/foul by Kobe at the end ended up being the final two nails in the Boston coffin.

What is intersting, no team has ever come back from 3-1 in the finals, but working against Boston, no team has played as many playoff games, and won a championship. As a Celtics fan, I am not taking anything for granted here. The C's are a tougher team, IMO, but they do have some maddening mental lapses from time to time. I don't know if Paul Pierce can play any better than he did tonight...if the Celtics let Odom and Gasol factor as much in the outcome, they will be in trouble.

Holding off on that victory cigar for at least another two nights...

The Lakers are just not a good defensive team, particularly up the middle (where have we heard that assesment before?)

Yep, the George Michael thing...

Sooo.....Lakers win on a bad no-call and extend the series.

Nope, no NBA officiating conspiracy here. :wallbash:

I don't know what the NBA is thinking, but I was kind of surprised to see Dick Baveta (sp?) working on this game, given that it has come to light that he was one of the "company" guys that Donaghy was talking about. I gotta say, Stern has brass balls. Any other leauge, I think, would have pulled him from that assignment.

The "no call" was pretty obvious (it is always a foul when a defender reaches from behind, between a players' body and arm, and doesn't even make contact with the ball), but, all in all, it was a pretty evenly called game. Both teams had like 30 foul shots. There are always going to be those little things that get called, or not called. That is the same in every sport.

Sooo.....Lakers win on a bad no-call and extend the series.

Nope, no NBA officiating conspiracy here. :wallbash:

What was the bad no-call? The reach by Kobe at the end to knock it away? I thought that was a "play on," but who really knows what constitutes a foul anymore....Tough spot for the refs actually, because if they let it go and the Lakers get the steal/breakaway, the game is essentially over. If they whistle it, Pierce gets two freebies to tie the game because of a feather-foul 40 feet from the basket. My preference is to let that stuff go and put it on the players to protect the ball. Pierce has made a meal of several light contact moments in the series to get himself to the line...He must be watching the Euro soccer championships!

The refs are human, it's impossible not to get influenced by the crowd, and I think the home team would always get that call. In Boston, it's likely that Pierce goes to the line (or vice versa, if it was Kobe dribbling last night, it's probably called.) Not necessarily right, but it's true.

What was the bad no-call? The reach by Kobe at the end to knock it away? I thought that was a "play on," but who really knows what constitutes a foul anymore....Tough spot for the refs actually, because if they let it go and the Lakers get the steal/breakaway, the game is essentially over. If they whistle it, Pierce gets two freebies to tie the game because of a feather-foul 40 feet from the basket. My preference is to let that stuff go and put it on the players to protect the ball. Pierce has made a meal of several light contact moments in the series to get himself to the line...He must be watching the Euro soccer championships!

The refs are human, it's impossible not to get influenced by the crowd, and I think the home team would always get that call. In Boston, it's likely that Pierce goes to the line (or vice versa, if it was Kobe dribbling last night, it's probably called.) Not necessarily right, but it's true.

Sorry, that was as blatent a foul as you will ever see. Kobe reached between Pierces' body and his arm, and swiped at his body, making Pierce lose control of the ball. Kobe didn't even really come close to making contact with the ball. It was obvious when it happened, and even more painfully obvious on replay. I agree, it was a tough call for the refs at that point, but, if you subscribe to the theory that a foul is a foul no matter when it happens, than that should have beeh whistled. I am not surprised it wasn't called, but it really should have been. Those are the "Jordan rules" being applied toward Kobe.

On the same note, the call on Odom, right before that, where he supposedly knocked down Garnett after a rebound was bad too. Garnett fell on his own (either he lost his balance, or was takig a dive), Odom didn't shove him, or bump him. Lucky for the Lakers, Garnett missed both free throws.

Not the best played game, not the best officiated game, but all and all, it was pretty entertaining.

What was the bad no-call? The reach by Kobe at the end to knock it away? I thought that was a "play on,"

He reached from behind, hit the guy's arm and grabbed his jersey. Never even touched the ball. And the result was a game deciding turnover. Sure it was 'play on'. A play on to game 6 and another prime time TV event!

I am one of those 2, yes? :wallbash:

Link

Go Celtics!!!! :wallbash:

He reached from behind, hit the guy's arm and grabbed his jersey. Never even touched the ball. And the result was a game deciding turnover. Sure it was 'play on'. A play on to game 6 and another prime time TV event!

I don't know man...I saw it this AM again, and didn't really think it was a foul, but now that you and buftex are saying Kobe got him pretty good, I just saw the highlight again and I just don't see much there. It wasn't super slow motion but I thought Kobe definitely got a piece of the ball. Pierce never hesitates to let the refs know what's on his mind, and I didn't see him get too worked up over the non-call. Ah well, no matter what we think it's water under the bridge at this point...

I don't know man...I saw it this AM again, and didn't really think it was a foul, but now that you and buftex are saying Kobe got him pretty good, I just saw the highlight again and I just don't see much there. It wasn't super slow motion but I thought Kobe definitely got a piece of the ball. Pierce never hesitates to let the refs know what's on his mind, and I didn't see him get too worked up over the non-call. Ah well, no matter what we think it's water under the bridge at this point...

No, Kobe didn't get a piece of the ball, just a chunk of Pierces love handle...no matter though, like you astutely pointed out in an earlier post, to call a foul there could have been a game changer. Somehow, not calling a foul seems less controversial (unless you are a Celtics fan) than calling a foul that somehow ends up costing the Lakers the game. They employ this kind of logic (right or wrong) in other sports as well.

Make no mistake though, the act was a foul. You just can't reach in like that, unless you only make contact with the ball. Kobe really didn't even come close to touching the ball, only Pierces' side. Pierce was just surprised, and lost control of the ball. I really think if that had been, say, Vuyacic, the whistle would have been blown. Not a big deal, in the end. It was a great play by Kobe.

No, Kobe didn't get a piece of the ball, just a chunk of Pierces love handle...no matter though, like you astutely pointed out in an earlier post, to call a foul there could have been a game changer. Somehow, not calling a foul seems less controversial (unless you are a Celtics fan) than calling a foul that somehow ends up costing the Lakers the game. They employ this kind of logic (right or wrong) in other sports as well.

Make no mistake though, the act was a foul. You just can't reach in like that, unless you only make contact with the ball. Kobe really didn't even come close to touching the ball, only Pierces' side. Pierce was just surprised, and lost control of the ball. I really think if that had been, say, Vuyacic, the whistle would have been blown. Not a big deal, in the end. It was a great play by Kobe.

I cannot believe that people are making a big deal out of ONE foul on poor Paul Pierce......

This series has had lopsided officiated the entire way......the celtics "tough defense" consists of illegal screens by Kevin Garnet on nearly EVERY play, shoves under the basket that would make the Jazz proud, and celtics holding off the ball (and handchecking on the ball) all game to disrupt the flow of the lakers offense.....

And people are crying about one questionable foul?

It doesn't matter.....the officiating bias will swing big time to the celtics next game and it will be over. I just didn't want to lose on my home floor.