Gaughan's article on TBD front page

eball

Chasing the Pats*

In the Bills section he writes the following:

Key losses: CB Kiwaukee Thomas (cut), DT Larry Tripplett (cut), TE Michael Gaines (Lions).

I guess he felt like he had to write something, but that's kind of ridiculous. Since when do we consider players the team "fired" key losses?

Weren't Bruce Smith, Andre Reed and Thurman Thomas "fired?" Would you consider them key losses?

Good point. I guess I asked the wrong question. Clearly Kiwaukee Thomas and Larry Tripplett don't fit into that category.

Chasing the Pats*

In the Bills section he writes the following:

Key losses: CB Kiwaukee Thomas (cut), DT Larry Tripplett (cut), TE Michael Gaines (Lions).

I guess he felt like he had to write something, but that's kind of ridiculous. Since when do we consider players the team "fired" key losses?

yeah, I wouldn't consider any of them key losses....

Now last year, they could have made the argument key losses were Fletcher and Clements...at least they were considered above average for their positions in the league...not just a guy that could likely be replaced with a late day draft pick and not miss a beat....

In terms of performance I wouldn't consider any of them "losses" but in terms of playing time, all three contributed significantly and could thereby be considered "losses" as someone will have to step up and fill their roles. Granted a warm body could probably contribute at least as well as two of the three, but still...

In terms of performance I wouldn't consider any of them "losses" but in terms of playing time, all three contributed significantly and could thereby be considered "losses" as someone will have to step up and fill their roles. Granted a warm body could probably contribute at least as well as two of the three, but still...

Well, part of that can be attributed to the fact we had so many injuries last year as well, although Triplett was the starter on the DLine, which doesn't day much seeing how the DL got shredded last year...

The phrase "key losses" is always used to list the players lost in the offseason, whether cut, traded or unsigned. It isn't to say the team is worse without them, it's just a phrase to convey what is no longer here.

My point is that using the word "key" is sloppy -- not that I don't understand what's being written.

If the most productive player you lose in an offseason is Michael Gaines, you're on the right track...

Exactly. Next to "key losses" Gaughan should have written "none."