Made a reservation on Smartcar today

OK, what are you spending?

Get a 3-4 year old 650-900cc metric cruiser. WAY more value for the money, reliable, fun & cool, and much more safer because it has the power to get out of its own way

I don't feel like researching the link but there was a WSJ article this week pointing out that the safety records of mopeds is about 3x that of cycles.

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

OK, what are you spending?

Get a 3-4 year old 650-900cc metric cruiser. WAY more value for the money, reliable, fun & cool, and much more safer because it has the power to get out of its own way

We are apending about $3k. I see your point but my wife is 5' and 105 lbs. That baby is way too big for her (btw this is primarily for her and she is in tune with the idea.). Even the 200-250 cc is a challenge for her and she is in shape.

My wife is concerned about the cost of gas as most of us sane people are. She also drives a mini-van and while she does not drive very far now the mini-van mileage has dropped as it has gotten older and the van will need to be replaced eventually. This is a much smaller vehicle so I was concerned that she would not have good vision in it but we took a test drive in one and it drove satisfactory. Unfortunately there is a long back log of cars on order and it will take a year for her to get her new car. Fortunately current car has no driving issues and if we do need to buy a new car the $99 deposit is fully refundable.

In case you have not seen them Smart Cars are these small 2 person sub-compacts produced by Mercedes Benz. The model I reserved for my wife is the blue metallic passion version (The value packed, sporty and well-equipped passion coupe includes a panorama roof, alloy wheels, air conditioning with climate control, 3-spoke leather sports steering wheel with shift paddles, power windows, electric and heated side mirrors, and AM/FM radio with CD player.)

So you bought a lawn mower without the blade?

Uh....congratulations? :rolleyes:

We are apending about $3k. I see your point but my wife is 5' and 105 lbs. That baby is way too big for her (btw this is primarily for her and she is in tune with the idea.). Even the 200-250 cc is a challenge for her and she is in shape.

Do you need a "M" license with that? You mention "challenge", 2 wheels is a lot different from 4 no doubt. If I were you I would really push this, I highly recommend it. Even if you only have a scooter

The MSF You're in VA right?

Do you need a "M" license with that? You mention "challenge", 2 wheels is a lot different from 4 no doubt. If I were you I would really push this, I highly recommend it. Even if you only have a scooter

I've never lived in a state that required a motorcycle license to operate a scooter.

I believe the 'M' liscence is dependent on the speeds the bike can reach and the power of the motor. The scooters don't go fast enough to require a liscense to operate.

Although, give it time, when everyone starts buying them the government may want to get their hands in there and start charging for a liscence to operate one so they can hit you with some fees

I've never lived in a state that required a motorcycle license to operate a scooter.

In NYS you need a motorcycle license if it is 250cc or more. There was a story on the local morning news this morning about the req'ts

I don't feel like researching the link but there was a WSJ article this week pointing out that the safety records of mopeds is about 3x that of cycles.

It could be like Volvo vehicles, and their owners. Volvo manufactures a decent construction re safety - and has advertised that for many a year. However, folks drawn to Volvos tend to not tailgate, not excessively speed, use their turn signals, maintain their vehicle and so forth. So it adds to the aura.

MoPed riders may or not fit that profile, but scooter riders tend to. They tend to look both ways, know the advantages and limitations of their vehicle, and act accordingly.

There has been a rise in motorcycle crashes. Several reasons...older riders, high power motors, more cars on the road and so forth.

Not discussed is the riding stance. The "standard" riding position is a thing of the past, replaced by the laid-back "cruiser" stance or the "cafe racer" bent-over stance. Neither of which adds to situation awareness, which is vital when piloting a motorcycle.

Most of today's motorcycles are sold under the implied promise of being a penile extension, Harley or Ninja alike.

:oops:

I have always wondered why ATV type vehicles have not been allowed to be on the roadways when motorcycles and such are.

Because they are by design, low-speed vehicles ill equipped for avoidance of any moving object, fat, low-pressure flexible tires, a steering mechanism with any deflection at speed keeping up with traffic would flip the ATV, to mention a few.

I suppose one could figure a way to install drive wheels and front wheels on a snowmobile, too... :oops:

In VA, anything over 50 cc requires a motorcycle license. Other states are different just like with helmet laws. My wife will definitely be taking the 2-3 day course. In VA, they supply the bike and helmet for the course and try to match you with an appropriately sized bike for your body size. She will have more info than she needs as the automatic scooters are a bit simpler than a cycle. But the new, better-built 200-250 cc scooters can hit 65-70 fairly quickly and easily without screaming. But they should not be operated for a long distance at a speed like that.

In VA, anything over 50 cc requires a motorcycle license. Other states are different just like with helmet laws. My wife will definitely be taking the 2-3 day course. In VA, they supply the bike and helmet for the course and try to match you with an appropriately sized bike for your body size. She will have more info than she needs as the automatic scooters are a bit simpler than a cycle. But the new, better-built 200-250 cc scooters can hit 65-70 fairly quickly and easily without screaming. But they should not be operated for a long distance at a speed like that.

Right... :oops:

Because they are by design, low-speed vehicles ill equipped for avoidance of any moving object, fat, low-pressure flexible tires, a steering mechanism with any deflection at speed keeping up with traffic would flip the ATV, to mention a few.

I suppose one could figure a way to install drive wheels and front wheels on a snowmobile, too... :oops:

Couldn't we design an four wheel vehicle that solved these problems?

Couldn't we design an four wheel vehicle that solved these problems?

They are called automobiles.

Your ATV if licensable for the road, would also require crash side bars, dual-circuit brakes, air bags, Motor Vehicle Safety Standard weldment and bolt tests, emissions certification, tire pressure monitors, crash testing, safety glass windshield, turn signals, MVSS front and rear lighting, steering and brake system certification, emissions warranty...for a start to a long, long list.

Found your ride, in Tenn, in your price range. Way cooler too. Your wife would be the envy of the nieghborhood

The RIDE :lol: