The Giants Insider June/July 2008 post draft issue

Tom

The Giants Insider June/July 2008 post draft issue states that the Buffalo Bills offered the Giants their 2nd and 3rd round picks for the Giants 1st round pick, but Jerry Reese decided to stay put and select Kenny Phillips. TGI also states that Phillips was "by far, the highest rated player on the Giants board, with some reports stating that Reese & Co. had him rated as the 15th-best overall player in the draft".

http://corner.bigblueinteractive.com/index...p;thread=289839

• Replies 47
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

IF this is true, one would have to think they were looking at taking the first WR on their draft board with the Giants' pick. What we don't know is whether that WR was James "Gunslinger" Hardy or one of the guys taken ahead of him.

I'm pretty happy the Bills ended up with Hardy and Ellis, personally.

I'm sure this was just one of a ton of proposals the Bills were swapping back and forth with other teams, but I'm glad it didn't happen. I just don't see any sense in paying first round money to a WR, since most of the time they won't be able to contribute until their second year. There was a lot of speculation in this year's draft that a lot of WR talent would be taken in the first round, but most teams stayed away from that. Detroit seems to be the only team that's consistently taken WR's in the first round and it hasn't exactly panned out for them.

Id have to say they would have gotten Hardy...noone could have predicted the way the wr's were picked in the draft...the first 3 or so were "whaa!!!" picks...almost everyone had hardy and thomas and even some had nelson gone in the first...Bills must have felt that in order to get Hardy they needed to trade away there 3rd pick..it was fortunate that teams totally went off scale on the picks and Bills got there man in the second

yep, and lets just ignore the little report saying the Bills wanted Dustin Keller until the jets traded up for him.

Just give it up, Ramius...Bill ain't gonna change. As the sun rises and sets, so will he bemoan the acquisition of defensive backs with any pick higher than a 4th rounder, all the while reminding us he disagrees with Levy/Jauron as to "the way to build a football team."

The Bills could win the next five Super Bowls and our friend would posit that it was done "in spite of" their drafting and FA strategy.

It just isn't worth the effort.

Just give it up, Ramius...Bill ain't gonna change. As the sun rises and sets, so will he bemoan the acquisition of defensive backs with any pick higher than a 4th rounder, all the while reminding us he disagrees with Levy/Jauron as to "the way to build a football team."

The Bills could win the next five Super Bowls and our friend would posit that it was done "in spite of" their drafting and FA strategy.

It just isn't worth the effort.

I know. I was just repeating what i read/heard in that Modrak wand the Bills were highly interested in trading back into round 1 with the target being Dustin Keller. They couldnt trade up, but the Jets were able to, since they had higher picks than Buffalo. (i searched and cant find the link)

As for Bill, i know its a futile effort. no matter what happens, he'll whine about first round DBs, while ignoring the fact we spent 75 million on the OL 1 year ago.