Champions League Final

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Each European country has their own domestic league. The best domestic league right now is probably England, followed in some order by Italy, Spain, Germany...Then France, Netherlands, Scotland, and all the rest are a level below those...

Ok, so like the Big East, ACC, SEC, etc.

So, each country's league plays it's own season. In England, the Premier League has 20 teams. Each team plays 38 games (the other 19 teams home and away.) At the end of the season, the top-4 finishers in the English league advance to the Champions League tournament- a European Cup that invites the best teams on the continent to play against each other. The invitations are extended to all leagues, although some of the "lesser" leagues may only get their top 1 or 2 teams into the Champions League.

Ok, so the Big East and ACC get 4 teams and the WAC gets two.

There is another Euro tournament called the UEFA Cup. Those are for successful teams who were not invited to the Champions League. In England, the 5th and 6th place finishers are invited to play in the UEFA Cup, and so on in the other countries.

The NIT.

Each country may have their own "open cup" which in England is called the FA Cup (Football Association.) The idea of that tournament is to allow ALL levels of English professional teams to play. Therefore, a Premier League squad like Manchester United might play a 3rd division squad with part-time school teachers.

Conference champions week (with everyone qualifing).

Pretty much all of the domestic leagues in Europe play from August to April/May on the weekends, and these tournament games take place during the week. This Champions League final today just happened to have the two best teams from England appear in the final, as they defeated the other nations' best teams to get through the groups and brackets.

The English league is finished, Manchester United already won, and Chelsea finished 2nd. Today's game is to determine the overal European club champion.

So, it's like 1985 with Georgetown and St. Johns in the NCAA finals.

Got it...thanks. :lol:

5..4..3...2...1... until someone takes time out of their life to tell us they hate soccer(kickball)

Nah...this is actually one out of a very small universe of kickball games I'll actually watch. I even set the DVR.

I want to see what nonsense the hooligans start.

Nah...this is actually one out of a very small universe of kickball games I'll actually watch. I even set the DVR.

I want to see what nonsense the hooligans start.

You guys may not admit it, but any REAL sports fan can't help but have interest in this game. We're talking the best of the best, on the world's largest stage, and the world's most popular sport. This is tha shiznit!

Choppy game so far- very physical. Manchester is dominant. The action has been mostly Chelseas side of the field. Ronaldo is so smooth. Whenever he gets the ball he makes it happen. This is the quietest I have ever seen Rooney. He is usually making plays all over the field. I expect him to step it up. And that goal was beautiful!

right after I posted that- Rooney made a ridiculous crossing pass! He put it right between the defenders legs and centered it. The pass was there and should of been a goal. Manchested dominated that whole half- besides the last two minutes. Chelsea had a few good scoring chances towards the end of the half. Now they tied it and have all the momentum. Manchester's past failures wear heavy. We will see what they are made of second half. I predict Rooney kicks some ass!

And those Nike soccer commercials are awesome! This is coming from someone that hates commercials and loathes Nike

Choppy game so far- very physical. Manchester is dominant. The action has been mostly Chelseas side of the field. Ronaldo is so smooth. Whenever he gets the ball he makes it happen. This is the quietest I have ever seen Rooney. He is usually making plays all over the field. I expect him to step it up. And that goal was beautiful!

Hell yeah it was...damn near perfect placement pretty much had the keeper frozen. Speaking of the Chelsea keeper, what's with that little goalie bonnet he's wearing? Looks like something out of a Coli tardball blog!

Friggin Teves is a CHUMP! How the hell did he miss that ball rolling across the mouth of the goal??? How much is Chelsea paying him??? lol

Hell yeah it was...damn near perfect placement pretty much had the keeper frozen. Speaking of the Chelsea keeper, what's with that little goalie bonnet he's wearing? Looks like something out of a Coli tardball blog!

Friggin Teves is a CHUMP! How the hell did he miss that ball rolling across the mouth of the goal??? How much is Chelsea paying him??? lol

how about that Rooney pass? Wow! I rewound that and played it a few times in slow motion. He had a nugget!

I miss Coli's blog!

how about that Rooney pass? Wow! I rewound that and played it a few times in slow motion. He had a nugget!

I miss Coli's blog!

Rooney put that ball on the money...I expect to see him have a strong second half. Also, I think you can pretty much say it now...C.Ronaldo is among the worlds greatest athletes. The guy is just sick with the footwork, quick as hell, and has evolved into a dominant player.

Rooney put that ball on the money...I expect to see him have a strong second half. Also, I think you can pretty much say it now...C.Ronaldo is among the worlds greatest athletes. The guy is just sick with the footwork, quick as hell, and has evolved into a dominant player.

IMO Ronaldo is the best soccer player in the world. Rooney is up there too. Chelsea has some nice players as well. Drogma and Essian are stellar players as well

IMO Ronaldo is the best soccer player in the world. Rooney is up there too. Chelsea has some nice players as well. Drogma and Essian are stellar players as well

Yep, I know they used to hack on him for being all flash without the ability to finish, but he's clearly put that rep behind him. He's a damn scoring machine!

I'm definitely pulling for Man.U, but I'm glad Chelsea scored that goal. I want to see a great match above all else ;)

I'm also thankful that the diving has been kept to a minimum. So far the few guys that have ended up writhing on the ground took pretty solid shots.

Yep, I know they used to hack on him for being all flash without the ability to finish, but he's clearly put that rep behind him. He's a damn scoring machine!

I'm definitely pulling for Man.U, but I'm glad Chelsea scored that goal. I want to see a great match above all else ;)

I'm also thankful that the diving has been kept to a minimum. So far the few guys that have ended up writhing on the ground took pretty solid shots.

agreed on all points. Tevez it killing ManU. Where the hell is Rooney? Get him the damn ball!

I hate Tevez for what he did last year in the EPL. He signed an illegal contract to play for West Ham to help them out of relegation. Of course, my team Sheffield United got booted down because of the contract. They tried to sue in "football court" but $$ talks and West Ham got to stay up.

Sheffield is VERY similar to Buffalo...always the underdog. In fact, Sheffield hosted the World University Games right before Buffalo did. As a native Buffalonian, I saw the similarities everywhere while living in Sheffield for 3 months. Both are "industrial" cities trying to make comebacks.

You guys may not admit it, but any REAL sports fan can't help but have interest in this game. We're talking the best of the best, on the world's largest stage, and the world's most popular sport. This is tha shiznit!

You mean the (hopefully) Lakers-Celtics NBA finals?