• Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Manchester United vs Chelsea

English Soccer Fans vs Russian Police

coverage starts at 2pm on espn2

anyone else watching?

English Soccer Fans Vs Russian Police sounds interesting. Hopefully there will be lots of footage on youtube.

English Soccer Fans Vs Russian Police sounds interesting. Hopefully there will be lots of footage on youtube.

haha agreed. imo, thats the way they should be marketing this in the US.

first time ever that 2 english teams are in the championship (at least thats what Tommy Smythe jsut told me on TV). wonder how crazy its gotta be in Moscow right now!

haha agreed. imo, thats the way they should be marketing this in the US.

first time ever that 2 english teams are in the championship (at least thats what Tommy Smythe jsut told me on TV). wonder how crazy its gotta be in Moscow right now!

heheh...gotta figure that the Russian police still have some of that crackdown fascist attitude leftover from the Soviet years. Should make for intriguing match ups with drunken, riot experienced English Soccer fans.

I'll be...Russian Football Fans (and people in general) are CRAZY!

A few years ago as part of my grad work I was there and had an opportunity to go to a game...not going was one of the best things in life I've ever done. Instead, I went to a sports bar, where the Russians there were quite cool. At the actual game however, there were almost 20 fights, 5 of which were racially motivated and one in which the guy got hospitalized for pretty bad injuries. When I mentioned it to our security officer, he looked at me and asked why would I want to go somewhere to be lynched?

I've never looked at American Football fans the same since. I've been to some away stadiums and never (save one hairy Steelers Ravens MNF) have I felt my actual life may be in danger while enjoying a hobby.

Manchester United vs Chelsea

English Soccer Hooligans vs Russian Police

coverage starts at 2pm on espn2

anyone else watching?

Fixed it for you. My money is on the hooligans.

I'll be watching at work. Should be a classic regardless of the outcome, and I read that English fans were able to get close to 50k of the 80k seats in Moscow. Add in the fact that Russians love a good hooligan brawl and this should be a ridiculous afternoon.

The Russians in the crowd will probably lean toward Chelsea, as their owner is a Russian oil tycoon.

Me, I will be pulling for Chelsea also...MY father had lived and worked in London for a long time and is good friends with Joe Cole's parents, and as such, I was/am a West Ham United fan (the club Cole came up with)...I have hung out with Joe a few times, he's a nice guy, very down-to-earth for somebody who is quite famous, at least in England. I am also a big fan of Drogba and Lampard, but I CAN'T STAND Michael Ballack. Chelsea (I believe) will be missing Terry at centerback, which will hurt.

Man U is a pretty classy team, and they play an attractive style. But they are the "Yankees" and I can't pull for them.

Let's just hope there are a few goals...I would consider myself a soccer fan but 0-0 defensive struggles don't please anybody, even the purists...And those types of games only breed MORE BULLSHIIT DIVING and ROLLING AROUND....Disgusting...

An early goal for either team should really help open things up and make it the showcase game that it has the potential to be.

FWIW to the casual fan- Manchester United won the English league, Chelsea finished 2nd just two points behind, and now they are facing off after advancing through all of Europe's best teams in the Champions League final. Clearly they are the two best squads in the world at the moment.

Can someone give the most of us an explanation of UFEA Cup, Premier league, FA Cup, . . .? Or, why are 2 English teams meeting for their league championship in Moscow?

Each European country has their own domestic league. The best domestic league right now is probably England, followed in some order by Italy, Spain, Germany...Then France, Netherlands, Scotland, and all the rest are a level below those...

So, each country's league plays it's own season. In England, the Premier League has 20 teams. Each team plays 38 games (the other 19 teams home and away.) At the end of the season, the top-4 finishers in the English league advance to the Champions League tournament- a European Cup that invites the best teams on the continent to play against each other. The invitations are extended to all leagues, although some of the "lesser" leagues may only get their top 1 or 2 teams into the Champions League.

There is another Euro tournament called the UEFA Cup. Those are for successful teams who were not invited to the Champions League. In England, the 5th and 6th place finishers are invited to play in the UEFA Cup, and so on in the other countries.

Each country may have their own "open cup" which in England is called the FA Cup (Football Association.) The idea of that tournament is to allow ALL levels of English professional teams to play. Therefore, a Premier League squad like Manchester United might play a 3rd division squad with part-time school teachers.

Pretty much all of the domestic leagues in Europe play from August to April/May on the weekends, and these tournament games take place during the week. This Champions League final today just happened to have the two best teams from England appear in the final, as they defeated the other nations' best teams to get through the groups and brackets.

The English league is finished, Manchester United already won, and Chelsea finished 2nd. Today's game is to determine the overal European club champion.

Can someone give the most of us an explanation of UFEA Cup, Premier league, FA Cup, . . .? Or, why are 2 English teams meeting for their league championship in Moscow?

It is the Champions league which is the best club teams in Europe. There are teams from many countrys, it just happens that the two teams in the final are from England. Last year Milan beat Liverpool and the year before Barcelona beat Aresenal- so as you can see teams are from all over. Here is the final standings and it shows all the teams in the Champions league-

http://www.uefa.com/competitions/ucl/

Each European country has their own domestic league. The best domestic league right now is probably England, followed in some order by Italy, Spain, Germany...Then France, Netherlands, Scotland, and all the rest are a level below those...

So, each country's league plays it's own season. In England, the Premier League has 20 teams. Each team plays 38 games (the other 19 teams home and away.) At the end of the season, the top-4 finishers in the English league advance to the Champions League tournament- a European Cup that invites the best teams on the continent to play against each other. The invitations are extended to all leagues, although some of the "lesser" leagues may only get their top 1 or 2 teams into the Champions League.

There is another Euro tournament called the UEFA Cup. Those are for successful teams who were not invited to the Champions League. In England, the 5th and 6th place finishers are invited to play in the UEFA Cup, and so on in the other countries.

Each country may have their own "open cup" which in England is called the FA Cup (Football Association.) The idea of that tournament is to allow ALL levels of English professional teams to play. Therefore, a Premier League squad like Manchester United might play a 3rd division squad with part-time school teachers.

Pretty much all of the domestic leagues in Europe play from August to April/May on the weekends, and these tournament games take place during the week. This Champions League final today just happened to have the two best teams from England appear in the final, as they defeated the other nations' best teams to get through the groups and brackets.

The English league is finished, Manchester United already won, and Chelsea finished 2nd. Today's game is to determine the overal European club champion.

Sounds like the NCAA BCS bowl game package. :lol:

Holy sh-- I'm so psyched for this game today...I worked all night, but trying to stay awake for the 230p kickoff.

Christiano Ronaldo and Wayne Rooney are two of my favorite players to watch. That is when Ronaldo is not crying. Rooney is a tough SOB and plays soccer the way it should be played

Amen, brotha...Ronaldo is probably a little B word in real life, but you can't help but love watching the kid when he's got the ball. Rooney is far and away soccer's quintessential badass, and the two of them are MONEY.

Can't wait!

The dvr is set for me to watch when I get home. No way I could miss this one.

By the way, soccer fans, Team USA has some really good friendlies lined up...

U.S. vs. England

May 28

Wembley Stadium, London, England

3 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic

U.S. vs. Spain

June 4

Estadio El Sardinero, Santander, Spain

4 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN360

U.S. vs. Argentina

June 8

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, N.J.

7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic

The dvr is set for me to watch when I get home. No way I could miss this one.

By the way, soccer fans, Team USA has some really good friendlies lined up...

U.S. vs. England

May 28

Wembley Stadium, London, England

3 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic

U.S. vs. Spain

June 4

Estadio El Sardinero, Santander, Spain

4 p.m. ET, ESPN2, ESPN360

U.S. vs. Argentina

June 8

Giants Stadium, East Rutherford, N.J.

7:30 p.m. ET, ESPN Classic

:lol: if you can remember, please post a reminder around the 28th. I will forget. I really am curious to see how USA plays against England. We have a nice squad!