Two Buffalo men drown here in Florida

• Replies 52
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Man, that just a shame. But I still cannot figure out what happened.

Had to have been the rip tide. Once you're in it you shouldnt try to swim against it. I've been in a few of them. I just lay on my back and let it take me out a ways. Then when it weakens, Swin to shore. Happens all the time here. Sad.

Had to have been the rip tide. Once you're in it you shouldnt try to swim against it. I've been in a few of them. I just lay on my back and let it take me out a ways. Then when it weakens, Swin to shore. Happens all the time here. Sad.

Thats what I was thinking as well, but it implied they got the guys out pretty quick. Maybe I just didn't read it right and they were under for a period of time. I have never been in a riptide, but we are at VA Beach quite often, and my kids have been well instructed what to do if they get "caught and the water is taking them away from the beach'

Thats what I was thinking as well, but it implied they got the guys out pretty quick. Maybe I just didn't read it right and they were under for a period of time. I have never been in a riptide, but we are at VA Beach quite often, and my kids have been well instructed what to do if they get "caught and the water is taking them away from the beach'

Hey! Can I bum a smoke? :rolleyes:

How's it going?

Does it suck you underwater, or just suck you out into deeper water?

Hey! Can I bum a smoke? :)

How's it going?

LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, on day 11. Just think, 200 less cigs in my lungs, thats gotta be a good thing no? And really using that Easy Way method, not really jonesin at all. Little pangs every now and then, but nothing major.

LOL :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, on day 11. Just think, 200 less cigs in my lungs, thats gotta be a good thing no? And really using that Easy Way method, not really jonesin at all. Little pangs every now and then, but nothing major.

Congrats. Watch out for the sneaky pangs that come around once you think you're free 'n clear. They'll tell you that you can have one smoke...no problem, but truth is they are lying bitches! Always hit when your around a 7-11 for some reason.

Congrats. Watch out for the sneaky pangs that come around once you think you're free 'n clear. They'll tell you that you can have one smoke...no problem, but truth is they are lying bitches! Always hit when your around a 7-11 for some reason.

No Shat... gave up chewing tobacco for like 8 months. Never bothered me after the first couple weeks. The night before Thanksgiving 2007, driving to meet some friends for a couple beers. I pass a Farm Crest Store (kinda like Sugar Creeks back home) figured aw hell one ain't gonna hurt. BAM! Hooked all over again. :rolleyes:

Gotta get motivated to quit again.

Back on topic: That is a sad story. I've heard of rip tides, but never encountered one when I was on the coasts. Can't imagine actually being witness to something like that and I can't honestly say how I would react either.

Yep, all my nicotine days are behind me(i hope). The book really does at great job of explaining the addiction and how it works, so not only no more cigs in my future, but no stogies as well. Price I gotta pay, as I know only one more smoke and I will have to start this process all over again.

I quit 4 years ago now. I used to down almost two packs of those things every day. Took me two attempts. On the first, I stopped for about 6 months. I was driving home at night and passed a 7-11 or some such store. They had a sign out that read 'Marlboro lights 2.25 a pack.' I thought to myself, "wow, what a great price! I should buy some!" Well, that was that.

I tried again about a year later. Just stopped. Cold turkey. Haven't smoked in four years now. I still get the odd cravings, though. Usually it's while drinking a beer or while sitting on the back porch drinking a cup of coffee. The hardest part about stopping was the mental piece. While at work, I'd always say to myself "I'm going to finish this piece of code, and then I'll go grab a smoke." It was almost like a reward system. When I made the decision to go cold turkey, I still did the same thing in my head.... but no reward!

I still hung out with smokers. I didn't want to hide from them all and then fall off the bandwagon once I got a whiff of it.

I used that damn gum the first time. That didn't work at all. While I'd only smoke one or two a day, I still kept my blood full of nicotine. The second I spit the gum out, I'd want nicotine from somewhere.... doesn't so much matter where!

Yep, all my nicotine days are behind me(i hope). The book really does at great job of explaining the addiction and how it works, so not only no more cigs in my future, but no stogies as well. Price I gotta pay, as I know only one more smoke and I will have to start this process all over again.

I bought that book after I saw it last week in another thread. Tonight i read one of the final chapters "The final cigarette". I'm not as apprehensive to read it as I thought I would be. The book is absolutely phenomenal. Completely different that any other stop smoking method ever. My fear is I will finish it tonight and have a long party weekend ahead. A Beer without a cigarette is like an asian massage without the happy ending. I'll see how I do.

I bought that book after I saw it last week in another thread. Tonight i read one of the final chapters "The final cigarette". I'm not as apprehensive to read it as I thought I would be. The book is absolutely phenomenal. Completely different that any other stop smoking method ever. My fear is I will finish it tonight and have a long party weekend ahead. A Beer without a cigarette is like an asian massage without the happy ending. I'll see how I do.

Stoj,great you bought the book(that was me who recommended before), but just remember a basic tenat of the book is that once you have the final butt, you will not look at not smoking like giving something pleasurable up(the happy ending), but rather getting something far greater, the freedom of not smoking( having a friend with benefits and not paying for way more than a happy ending)!!!!! BTW, I would have never quit on a weekend if i was not old and married with kids :rolleyes:

But just to be serious for a minute, if after reading the book you still think you will be "giving something pleasurable up" , I would highly suggest delaying your quit day and re read the book. Your mind has to be 100% convinced you are not giving something up for his method to work, and work it will!!!!!

http://www.abcactionnews.com/news/local/st...18-9147192ad675

Looks like they were from Tonawanda.

KEY, FL -- Two vacationers are dead after getting caught up in a riptide off Longboat Key.

The victims are identified as 52-year old Christopher Gugliozza of Tonawanda, N.Y and 48-year old John Larry of White Tail Run, N.Y.

They were pulled from the water by other beach-goers on Monday afternoon.

According to the Sarasota Herald-Tribune, the two men were in critical condition when they were taken by ambulance to Sarasota Memorial Hospital.

Deaths from riptides are rare, but rip currents are not.

Certain weather conditions can produce riptides, and can cause a swimmer to be pulled far from shore. Even experienced swimmers can have difficulty overcoming the effects of a riptide.