Average age and years experience..

San-O

I took a look to see the average age and NFL experience of the projected D-line and O-line

starters this year. The good news is, there are no rookie or 2nd year guys anywhere. The bad

news, the D-line may be at their prime.

Denney is 30 this year, he was an older rookie when selected.

Schobel is also 30: we'll see what he has left.

The O-line I would think are really in their prime, and could be viable for a couple more years,

assuming a replacement for Fowler.

The window for both these units may be now, and closing quickly with no significant O-linemen

drafted and 1 D-lineman, Fine.

O-LiNE

===================================================

71 Peters, Jason OL 6-4 340 26 5 Arkansas

66 Dockery, Derrick OL 6-6 330 27 6 Texas

67 Fowler, Melvin OL 6-3 310 29 7 Maryland

68 Walker, Langston OL 6-8 366 28 7 California

60 Butler, Brad OL 6-7 315 24 3 Virginia

5.6 years experience

26.8 age

D-Line

90 Kelsay, Chris DE 6-4 261 28 6 Nebraska

92 Denney, Ryan DE 6-7 264 30 7 BYU

99 Stroud, Marcus DT 6-6 310 29 8 Georgia

97 McCargo, John DT 6-2 307 24 3 N.C. State

94 Schobel, Aaron DE 6-4 243 30 8 TCU

6.4 years experience

28.2 age

Chris Ellis, 23 years old, our 3rd round pick will surely be in the rotation barring injury. I also believe that he will contribute nicely. He had a good final season at VT. He plays well enough against the run, but can surely be coached into a better player. He also showed some decent explosiveness off the edge in getting to the QB last season registering 8.5 sacks and 9 tackles for loss to go along with 25 unassisted tackles. McCargo is just getting ready to bust loose on the NFL. He showed flashes of what he can truly become last season. These guys could be 2 pieces to our future that help to bridge the gap on our D-Line. Stroud is still only 29 and could play at a top level for another 5 years easy if he remains healy. That, though, is a BIG if.

Well the good news is that next week OTA's start and we have something to talk about.....:ph34r:

If we did not include Stroud in that mix then the age average goes way down

It is good to have a mix of youth and experience

We did in fact use a 3rd round pick on a DE....and we draft just recently drafted McCargo and Williams

I think given the circumstances they are doing the best they can.

I took a look to see the average age and NFL experience of the projected D-line and O-line

starters this year. The good news is, there are no rookie or 2nd year guys anywhere. The bad

news, the D-line may be at their prime.

Denney is 30 this year, he was an older rookie when selected.

Schobel is also 30: we'll see what he has left.

The O-line I would think are really in their prime, and could be viable for a couple more years,

assuming a replacement for Fowler.

The window for both these units may be now, and closing quickly with no significant O-linemen

drafted and 1 D-lineman, Fine.

O-LiNE

71 Peters, Jason OL 6-4 340 26 5 Arkansas

66 Dockery, Derrick OL 6-6 330 27 6 Texas

67 Fowler, Melvin OL 6-3 310 29 7 Maryland

68 Walker, Langston OL 6-8 366 28 7 California

60 Butler, Brad OL 6-7 315 24 3 Virginia

5.6 years experience

26.8 age

D-Line

90 Kelsay, Chris DE 6-4 261 28 6 Nebraska

92 Denney, Ryan DE 6-7 264 30 7 BYU

99 Stroud, Marcus DT 6-6 310 29 8 Georgia

97 McCargo, John DT 6-2 307 24 3 N.C. State

94 Schobel, Aaron DE 6-4 243 30 8 TCU

6.4 years experience

28.2 age

With the Bills DEs its not about age its about lack of talent.

what's the problem?

The OL will last forever AND they will never get injured. :sick:

No need to keep filling the pipeline with draft picks that can be used on CBs :ph34r:

You said something in a previous thread which I let slide because all of the hullabaloo about 'the OL' was dying down & honestly I was getting tired of it. Your incessant irrational bitching about it however compels me to bring it up.

In response to me calling out people on them not claiming they wanted Albert in the 1st round prior to the draft, you responded....

As i posted before the draft, I would have taken Harvey, Rivers and Albert - in that order.

You would have been happy for us to draft a LB when we already have 3 legit starters instead of Albert. How can you possibly keep berating the FO for the draft in regards to OL when you yourself would have happily ignored the situation had we drafted Rivers in the 1st? As I have pointed out previously, unless you would have changed your mind about the 3rd round pick there were no legitimate OLmen(Centers) available in the 4th when we picked......and what is the point of reaching for a lesser rated talent for the OL when there is a very high percentage chance that the player would never be good enough to supplant Fowler? If we get a legit C then we already would have a very good backup in Fowler.

It is hypocritical of you to knock the situation regarding the OL because we chose a CB in the 1st.....yet obviously you would have been content with the situation had we drafted a LB in the 1st. How can you put forward the concept of wanting another legit starter caliber LB when we needed a legit starting caliber C & CB?

Please desist in your constant vitriolic attacks on the situation.

Well the good news is that next week OTA's start and we have something to talk about.....:ph34r:

If we did not include Stroud in that mix then the age average goes way down

It is good to have a mix of youth and experience

We did in fact use a 3rd round pick on a DE....and we draft just recently drafted McCargo and Williams

I think given the circumstances they are doing the best they can.

Exactly! GO OTAs!

You said something in a previous thread which I let slide because all of the hullabaloo about 'the OL' was dying down & honestly I was getting tired of it. Your incessant irrational bitching about it however compels me to bring it up.

In response to me calling out people on them not claiming they wanted Albert in the 1st round prior to the draft, you responded....

You would have been happy for us to draft a LB when we already have 3 legit starters instead of Albert. How can you possibly keep berating the FO for the draft in regards to OL when you yourself would have happily ignored the situation had we drafted Rivers in the 1st? As I have pointed out previously, unless you would have changed your mind about the 3rd round pick there were no legitimate OLmen(Centers) available in the 4th when we picked......and what is the point of reaching for a lesser rated talent for the OL when there is a very high percentage chance that the player would never be good enough to supplant Fowler? If we get a legit C then we already would have a very good backup in Fowler.

It is hypocritical of you to knock the situation regarding the OL because we chose a CB in the 1st.....yet obviously you would have been content with the situation had we drafted a LB in the 1st. How can you put forward the concept of wanting another legit starter caliber LB when we needed a legit starting caliber C & CB?

Please desist in your constant vitriolic attacks on the situation.

Nice, Dibs.

Chris Ellis, 23 years old, our 3rd round pick will surely be in the rotation barring injury. I also believe that he will contribute nicely. He had a good final season at VT. He plays well enough against the run, but can surely be coached into a better player. He also showed some decent explosiveness off the edge in getting to the QB last season registering 8.5 sacks and 9 tackles for loss to go along with 25 unassisted tackles. McCargo is just getting ready to bust loose on the NFL. He showed flashes of what he can truly become last season. These guys could be 2 pieces to our future that help to bridge the gap on our D-Line. Stroud is still only 29 and could play at a top level for another 5 years easy if he remains healy. That, though, is a BIG if.

For D lineman I would say 28-33 is the prime of the career for most of the guys. Once in awhile you'll get a Bruce Smith type that plays really well until 36 or 37 but it's rare. So some of the D lineman being 30 IMO, is a very good thing. I also think Stroud's presence is going to make everyone else along the line a lot better.

O lineman I think can be productive longer. I'd say 27-35 is their prime but more of them can last longer.

IMO, the Bills have the perfect mix of youth and experience along the lines. I'd like to see a little more depth but hopefully the draft picks at the need areas will pan out this year and more attention will be given to them in the next draft and FA period.

10 years into an NFL career there aren't many lineman who are near their prime. Prime for a lineman is more like 25-28. This isn't baseball, the physical nature of the game takes it's toll. Schobel is past his prime, but he should still be productive for a couple years because his high motor has never been run in January or February. Low mileage.