Gas Prices affecting Memorial Day Travel Plans?

A little blurb on the news said "soaring" gas prices are affecting some peoples' travel plans for memorial day. This seems insane to me. Average gas price across the country is $3.79, in WNY $3.88.

Let's say it was a full dollar less than that. On a larger, 20 gallon tank, you save $20 going from bone dry empty to full. Even if you are planning a trip to Florida (5-6 fillups?) That's $100-$120. But most are traveling much less distance than that. Would people really change their travel plans because of a $20 difference in a full tank of gas? Sorry, but that's frigging sad, and you probably shouldn't own a car, much less be making travel plans if that difference is the make-or-break decision on travel.

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

A little blurb on the news said "soaring" gas prices are affecting some peoples' travel plans for memorial day.

Were they including flying as part of their assessment on travel plans? I see flight prices have increased substantially. Besides higher fuel prices, I expect some of it is also due to dwindling competition (Skybus, etc.) and less routes. Typically, I fly to the games I can attend as a season ticket holder and the price increase I see for flights for 2008 game dates over 2007 is significant. It will impact which/how many games I will attend.

Were they including flying as part of their assessment on travel plans? I see flight prices have increased substantially. Besides higher fuel prices, I expect some of it is also due to dwindling competition (Skybus, etc.) and less routes. Typically, I fly to the games I can attend as a season ticket holder and the price increase I see for flights for 2008 game dates over 2007 is significant. It will impact which/how many games I will attend.

I noticed that too. MY wife & I are thinking about going to vegas in the fall. I go to Vegas every year for the superbowl & usually one other time. If I book the flight far enough in advance I usually could get it in prior years for $200 - $230. I just went to look up the flights & I can not find anything for the dates we want under $380. That is a big jump, especially if you have alot of kids.

I agree with both of you re: flight prices. However, this was specifically interviewing people filling up their gas tanks in their vehicles.

Yeah, that I do not understand. If $20 is going to break you, you probably should be just cooking hot dogs in the backyard this weekend instead of even thinking about making travel plans.

A little blurb on the news said "soaring" gas prices are affecting some peoples' travel plans for memorial day. This seems insane to me. Average gas price across the country is $3.79, in WNY $3.88.

Let's say it was a full dollar less than that. On a larger, 20 gallon tank, you save $20 going from bone dry empty to full. Even if you are planning a trip to Florida (5-6 fillups?) That's $100-$120. But most are traveling much less distance than that. Would people really change their travel plans because of a $20 difference in a full tank of gas? Sorry, but that's frigging sad, and you probably shouldn't own a car, much less be making travel plans if that difference is the make-or-break decision on travel.

Because when it was $1.10, going 500 miles round trip cost $25.00. Now it costs $100 plus all the inflation on food and everything else. If the average American drives 300 miles per week, their bill is now $200 per month instead of $50. That's a lot less free cash available for vacations when extrapolated over a year.

Gasoline prices have ALWAYS had a serious effect on the world's economy. It's no coincidence that the economy of the '90s benefitted from gas prices staying flat for 7.5 years.

Because when it was $1.10, going 500 miles round trip cost $25.00. Now it costs $100 plus all the inflation on food and everything else. If the average American drives 300 miles per week, their bill is now $200 per month instead of $50. That's a lot less free cash available for vacations when extrapolated over a year.

Gasoline prices have ALWAYS had a serious effect on the world's economy. It's no coincidence that the economy of the '90s benefitted from gas prices staying flat for 7.5 years.

Valid point, however I'm not referring to the world's economy (I guess any big travel weekend does effect the nations economy, but I'm trying to look at it from a family perspective). I'm talking about someone really thinking about changing travel plans over $20 a tank....

I think my main point is that TV news will sensationalize anything. Which is no news at all.

can't wait till Hillary gets into office and has the govt take over oil production.

Valid point, however I'm not referring to the world's economy (I guess any big travel weekend does effect the nations economy, but I'm trying to look at it from a family perspective). I'm talking about someone really thinking about changing travel plans over $20 a tank....

I think my main point is that TV news will sensationalize anything. Which is no news at all.

You're missing the point. Because gasoline is now expensive everywhere, everything costs more. Staple food prices are up from 20-50% over a very short period of time - and that's just one example.

Gasoline prices affect everything - and that means that most people have a lot less disposable income. TV doesn't have to sensationalize this. It's a very real crisis, just like it was in the 1970s and its going to get a whole lot worse in the short term.

You're missing the point. Because gasoline is now expensive everywhere, everything costs more. Staple food prices are up from 20-50% over a very short period of time - and that's just one example.

Gasoline prices affect everything - and that means that most people have a lot less disposable income. TV doesn't have to sensationalize this. It's a very real crisis, just like it was in the 1970s and its going to get a whole lot worse in the short term.

I was missing the point. Very good post.

For me personally, gas prices / air fares would not be a make or break issue. But I could definitely see myself using it as an excuse to get out of having to see some relatives that I'd rather not see anyway.

:devil:

Agreed. Saving $20 is enough to keep me away from some of my family members!

Good thing we're giving Afghanistan another 7 billion. While we're at it lets drop another 80,000$ bomb on a mud hut sh*thole.

Economy? We doan nee no stinkin' economy.

Because when it was $1.10..............

And JFK was president too. OK couldn't resist :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I remember right after 9/11, that gas dropped to like a $1.05, and I wondered if it was going to go under a buck. So what, 7 years later it has almost quadrupled in price?!?!?!

And JFK was president too. OK couldn't resist :thumbsup:

Seriously though, I remember right after 9/11, that gas dropped to like a $1.05, and I wondered if it was going to go under a buck. So what, 7 years later it has almost quadrupled in price?!?!?!

Yep.

Commodities Speculation (Enron Loophole)/Weak Dollar/Increased Demand

I didn't think it would stay at $1.10, but under $2.00 should be reasonable. Unfortunately, I don't think we'll those type of prices for quite some time.

Good thing we're giving Afghanistan another 7 billion. While we're at it lets drop another 80,000$ bomb on a mud hut sh*thole.

Economy? We doan nee no stinkin' economy.

Good thing we have that illegal immigration thing worked out too. $397,457,329,347 just in Social services since 1996. Scroll though the link for more number if you like.

http://immigrationcounters.com/

Maybe people can stay home and pay honor to our fallen soliders now... Not a bad idea. Why do holidays like this even get the "holiday" tag? And what is it about shopping and spending money, shouldn't we be cutting back.

Hey, those men died so I could have the right to buy a TV at 25% off. I'd call it a slap in the face if I didn't honor that.