Favorite Grocery Store?

Bluebull

It looks pretty sweet from I- 95!

The one near me opens June 8th. I'll have 5 miles to go for my wegmans. Instead of having to drive to Fairfax,

• Replies 162
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

It looks pretty sweet from I- 95!

They still have a lot to do it looks like. The parking lot isnt't finished as of the other day when I drove through. Didn't look like they started stocking, etc...

I do know they've hired all full time employees and they've been at the Fairfax store training since March.

I have friends in Woodbridge and I do some work up here( I live in Richmond) so I'm looking forward to going when it opens. Whole foods and Traders Joes are opening in Richmond later this year and that will have to do as Wegmans has no plans for Richmond.

They still have a lot to do it looks like. The parking lot isnt't finished as of the other day when I drove through. Didn't look like they started stocking, etc...

I do know they've hired all full time employees and they've been at the Fairfax store training since March.

I have friends in Woodbridge and I do some work up here( I live in Richmond) so I'm looking forward to going when it opens. Whole foods and Traders Joes are opening in Richmond later this year and that will have to do as Wegmans has no plans for Richmond.

But they are opening one in Fredericksburg soon as well.

Where? I lived in the Bay Area and we have them in Alaska and they're average as hell in both places.

I thought people in Alaska lived off the "fat of the land"

Hopefully they make it a ways further down 95. Once my friends move back to Richmond, I'll probably give away my work up here.

But they are opening one in Fredericksburg soon as well.

Out west, Safeway totally rocks, they're the best grocery store I've ever been in.

The two Safeway stores in my town are probably rthe nicest ones in the whole chain. They are the closest to the Corporate HQ, which is in the next town, just across the Interstate. I've seen bunches of corporate bigwigs walking around in there.

As an old fart, i complained that they moved everything around after they remodeled.

They closed shop in Richmond in the mid 80's. Still in nova. Sucked for me, they had the closest arcade games to my house( not by much).

The two Safeway stores in my town are probably rthe nicest ones in the whole chain. They are the closest to the Corporate HQ, which is in the next town, just across the Interstate. I've seen bunches of corporate bigwigs walking around in there.

As an old fart, i complained that they moved everything around after they remodeled.

no....but you can kill a cow and ring him out

If Darin was real man, he's milk a polar bear or a moose for the milk. OJ though, he has a point on. However, the eskimoes lived for thousands of year without OJ, so Darin could too.

If Darin was real man, he's milk a polar bear or a moose for the milk. OJ though, he has a point on. However, the eskimoes lived for thousands of year without OJ, so Darin could too.

Point taken, however anthropologists are now attributing the decline of Inuit civilization to the introduction of the mimosa happy hour.

Point taken, however anthropologists are now attributing the decline of Inuit civilization to the introduction of the mimosa happy hour.

Well aren't you so politically correct. Do you really think Darin would care. If he was hungry, he'll still kill and cook you over an igloo spit, PC or not.

Where? I lived in the Bay Area and we have them in Alaska and they're average as hell in both places.

SafeWay bought out Dominick's here in the Chicago Area sometime ago... They even carrried the SafeWay brand instead of changing it to Dominick's for the local area... Dominick's took a nose dive, I don't think they will ever recover.

SafeWay affiliation = death for that old Chicago area chain.

Choices out in the NW are actually pretty few.

Fred Meyer is owned by Kroger. Probably the best of the bunch.

Safeway is expensive and has average selection.

QFC is owned by Kroger and more expensive than Fred Meyer, with less of a selection.

There are a few Top stores (not to be confused with Tops) and Albertson's. People avoid these like the plague if they can.

I've been out here for two years and still haven't gone to the Trader Joe's out on 156th in Bellevue. I guess I should go.

in WNY, the answer is Wegmans, hands down. I'll admit Tops has invested in it's stores, mostly emulating Wegman's model and they're pretty good, but not in the same class as Wegmans. I also think you almost always pay more at a superstore like Wegmans than you do at a small store with less frills, specialty items and overall choice. Probably because your're paying for all that extra stuff.

In New England, Super Stop & Shop is close to Wegmans. Market Basket is yes, like going back in time, but it's way cheaper.

Out west, Safeway totally rocks, they're the best grocery store I've ever been in.

There is no comparison between Super Stop and Shop and Wegmans IMO. I hate Super S and S! Shaws is much better IMO, but still nowhere near as good as Wegmans

in WNY, the answer is Wegmans, hands down. I'll admit Tops has invested in it's stores, mostly emulating Wegman's model and they're pretty good, but not in the same class as Wegmans. I also think you almost always pay more at a superstore like Wegmans than you do at a small store with less frills, specialty items and overall choice. Probably because your're paying for all that extra stuff.

In New England, Super Stop & Shop is close to Wegmans. Market Basket is yes, like going back in time, but it's way cheaper.

The strange thing about Wegmans is, the prices are still competitive or lower. I've never found something significantly higher priced at Wegmans. A friend of mine used to swear by Tops, saying it was far cheaper...so I gave it another shot and planned to do all of my grocery shopping there. There wasn't a single item cheaper than what I paid at Wegmans, including milk and OJ...so I left and went back to Wegmans.

Somehow, even the non-super Wegmans like the one in Henrietta, NY are better than anything I've encountered anywhere else.