Demetrius Bell

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys...trius-bell---ol

Also have a few more players the Bills picked, thought you guys would like them.

If posted before, sorry and just lock/delete this thread

Kudos on the find.

I really liked what I saw on Johnson and Bell. Looking at the numbers on Johnson, I have to wonder why he was still around so late in the draft. Anyone know what the concern was on this guy? He isn't blazingly fast but neither were a lot of the greats. The one aspect of a receiver you don't see quantified much in all the scouting reports is the very simple, very basic and ultimately vital ability to catch the freaking ball. I remeber watching a streaking Byron Franklin repeatedly torch defenses deep only to have the ball bounce off his helmet. Johnson clearly has a good pair of mits on him, performs in the clutch and is fast enough.

Bell is an intriguing prospect, I like guys who are athletes but need work on strength. You can always add muscle but coordination and balance are all but impossible to teach. Remember that viking dude we drafted, Lief Laaaaaaaaarson or something like that? He could bench press a house but had limited football experience and wasn't exactly a ballroom dancer in the footwork dept. We figured with that kind of strength, we could teach him the rest. Never worked out, it was a wasted pick. Not a high one but wasted none the less.

Kudos on the find.

I really liked what I saw on Johnson and Bell. Looking at the numbers on Johnson, I have to wonder why he was still around so late in the draft. Anyone know what the concern was on this guy? He isn't blazingly fast but neither were a lot of the greats. The one aspect of a receiver you don't see quantified much in all the scouting reports is the very simple, very basic and ultimately vital ability to catch the freaking ball. I remeber watching a streaking Byron Franklin repeatedly torch defenses deep only to have the ball bounce off his helmet. Johnson clearly has a good pair of mits on him, performs in the clutch and is fast enough.

Bell is an intriguing prospect, I like guys who are athletes but need work on strength. You can always add muscle but coordination and balance are all but impossible to teach. Remember that viking dude we drafted, Lief Laaaaaaaaarson or something like that? He could bench press a house but had limited football experience and wasn't exactly a ballroom dancer in the footwork dept. We figured with that kind of strength, we could teach him the rest. Never worked out, it was a wasted pick. Not a high one but wasted none the less.

Swing actually that is partially incorrect. Balance and coordination CAN be taught it is just that guys like Lief Larson relied too much on his power and lack of explosion are what did him in. I totally agree on Bell that the footwork and quickness are the most important thing in a Left Tackle......he needs to be able to stay in front of speed rushers and they can add muscule and strength to his game.

Bell looks like he could be really good. I like those athletic/agile guys at LT with all the speed rushers teams have nowadays. He seems to learn really fast, and I'm anxious to see him in the preseason against NFL players. Should be interesting.

I love Omon's vision. That guy has great cutting ability. He might not be able to hit the home run, but he can definitely break mid-distance runs and move the chains.

Johnson's key will be whether or not he can play special teams. He might have some good WR skills, but competing for the 5th WR spot, he's never going to get the chance to use them. That spot is more about special teams ability, and right now Justin Jenkins is pretty damn good at it. If Johnson wants to make this team, he's going to have to impress on special teams first, and then try to move up the depth chart by showing his receiving skills.

Bell looks like he could be really good. I like those athletic/agile guys at LT with all the speed rushers teams have nowadays. He seems to learn really fast, and I'm anxious to see him in the preseason against NFL players. Should be interesting.

I love Omon's vision. That guy has great cutting ability. He might not be able to hit the home run, but he can definitely break mid-distance runs and move the chains.

Johnson's key will be whether or not he can play special teams. He might have some good WR skills, but competing for the 5th WR spot, he's never going to get the chance to use them. That spot is more about special teams ability, and right now Justin Jenkins is pretty damn good at it. If Johnson wants to make this team, he's going to have to impress on special teams first, and then try to move up the depth chart by showing his receiving skills.

Then again, if he shows enough as a WR, the Bills might keep him as the 6th WR instead of potentially losing him in the hopes of trying to sneak him on the PS.

Then again, if he shows enough as a WR, the Bills might keep him as the 6th WR instead of potentially losing him in the hopes of trying to sneak him on the PS.

Its possible, but remember, we do have a glut of players to keep at RB, CB, S, TE... so I doubt we'll keep 6 receivers. Maybe in most years, yeah, but this year there's gonna be some tough cuts.

Kudos on the find.

Same here, nice work.

Anyone know what the concern was on this guy?

Steve Johnson was a Juco transfer who only really got to play in spots due to the team and the O they ran(Kentucky). The good news for us is: if you watch all the youtube out there on him, the spots he consistently showed up in was either: "the winning catch" or "the catch that got them into overtime". I will take clutch over Willie Gault speed every day. The other thing about Johnson in those films is he is almost always 10 yards wide open. That's way too wide open, way too often, in too many big play situations, to be a coincidence. Either they are running the best offense of all time at Kentucky, or this guy is as least pretty good.

Both Johnson and Bell are in the same spot now = they have only been around for a short while, but they have flashed big time potential in that short while. I see both of them as likely PS players who might be able to work themselves up. If either makes the team this year, they will have accomplished a lot, given who we already have at their positions.

In all cases, if Bell can spend time developing this year and next, which is what a backup is supposed to be doing, btw, he might just turn into a solid 6th man for the O line, or even start. He certainly has all the physical characteristics, now it's just a matter of hustle and attitude.

If there are two injuries on the O-Line this year, don't be surprised if Bell gets some playing time. He is big enough and talented enough to cover time at any of the positions on the line. I think he may be a year or two from becoming a full timer on the roster, but he will likely be pretty good.

Johnson is likely to make the team. After Aiken was cut, that opened up a slot in the receiver corps. They filled that when they drafted Johnson. Buffalo lost two receivers after last season. Peerless Price left, opening what had been the #2 receiver position. Sam Aiken left, opening that 6 receiver spot and a position on special teams. I think they like Johnson enough such that if they had to choose between him and Jenkins, they would make Jenkins a full time STer and add Johnson as the fifth wide out. They lost a lot of experienced players on ST after last season and I think they are looking for veteran guys to step it up on that team.

I like Bell's athleticism too but I think the guy has a LOOOOOOOOOOOONG ways to go in the strength department. He probably needs at least two offseasons to even be ready for the active roster. We'll see if we can wait that long.....

If there are two injuries on the O-Line this year, don't be surprised if Bell gets some playing time. He is big enough and talented enough to cover time at any of the positions on the line. I think he may be a year or two from becoming a full timer on the roster, but he will likely be pretty good.

Johnson is likely to make the team. After Aiken was cut, that opened up a slot in the receiver corps. They filled that when they drafted Johnson. Buffalo lost two receivers after last season. Peerless Price left, opening what had been the #2 receiver position. Sam Aiken left, opening that 6 receiver spot and a position on special teams. I think they like Johnson enough such that if they had to choose between him and Jenkins, they would make Jenkins a full time STer and add Johnson as the fifth wide out. They lost a lot of experienced players on ST after last season and I think they are looking for veteran guys to step it up on that team.

Not exactly true. We carried 5 WR's last year at all times. Jenkins was on the practice squad to start the year, leaving us 5 WRs. When Price got injured Jenkins was brought up, again giving us 5 WRs. Hardy replaces price as our number 2, and Jenkins replaces Aiken on special teams. Jenkins was a monster for us last year on special teams and if Johnson plans on making the team (assuming we only carry 5, as usual) then he better work on his ST abilities.

http://www.onnetworks.com/videos/draftguys...trius-bell---ol

Also have a few more players the Bills picked, thought you guys would like them.

If posted before, sorry and just lock/delete this thread

Very cool. He's only played two years at that position his upside is HUGE ROCHESTER HUGE (that's an inside joke for the Rochester posters I'm sure they'll get it. :thumbsup: ) I like this pickup and hope they don't practice squad him because I think he'd be picked up.

The hardest thing he'll have to deal with this year is all the attention he'll get for being Malone's forgotten son. I hope he's thick skinned because it will come up a lot! If he ever makes the pro-bowl or the Bills make it to the SB it will be a constant story. It will have to wear on him eventually. BTW, I'm sure I'm not breaking any big news here but Malone is a real :blink::thumbsup::wallbash::lol: :lol: :D . The kids mother was 13 when Malone impregnated her!

Kudos on the find.

Video on Steve Johnson

Same here, nice work.

Steve Johnson was a Juco transfer who only really got to play in spots due to the team and the O they ran(Kentucky). The good news for us is: if you watch all the youtube out there on him, the spots he consistently showed up in was either: "the winning catch" or "the catch that got them into overtime". I will take clutch over Willie Gault speed every day. The other thing about Johnson in those films is he is almost always 10 yards wide open. That's way too wide open, way too often, in too many big play situations, to be a coincidence. Either they are running the best offense of all time at Kentucky, or this guy is as least pretty good.

Both Johnson and Bell are in the same spot now = they have only been around for a short while, but they have flashed big time potential in that short while. I see both of them as likely PS players who might be able to work themselves up. If either makes the team this year, they will have accomplished a lot, given who we already have at their positions.

In all cases, if Bell can spend time developing this year and next, which is what a backup is supposed to be doing, btw, he might just turn into a solid 6th man for the O line, or even start. He certainly has all the physical characteristics, now it's just a matter of hustle and attitude.

Johnson = Marques Colston. I hope.

Xavier Omon

Looking at the numbers on Johnson, I have to wonder why he was still around so late in the draft. Anyone know what the concern was on this guy?

Per PFW:

Positives: Has good size. Long arms and big hands. Can adjust to the ball in the air and track it in the air. Has upside.

Negatives: Raw route runner. Only played two years of high school football and does not have great instincts for the position. Is tight in the upper body and runs too upright. Not very tough or physical.

Summary: Matured as a senior, when he emerged as Andre Woodson's go-to guy as a senior and consistantly produced in the clutch. Has some upside to continue developing but will require considerable molding.

Grade: 5.15 (has a better than average chance to mak an NFL roster)

Per NFL.com:

Negatives: Has a big frame with minimal body fat, but lacks ideal muscle definition (more big-boned than well developed)...Has a good straight-line burst, but lacks the suddenness off the snap or timed speed to consistently attack the seam or challenge the deep coverage defenders.

Needs to improve his hip snap, as he looks stiff moving in and out of his breaks...Had good production in 2007, but uses his body a lot as a crutch and lacks natural hands...Needs to be monitored in the offseason training program (does what is asked, nothing more)...His long stride and high pad level in his running stride prevents him from coming out of his cuts crisply.

Needs to demonstrate a better feel for route progression (gathers a bit and takes soft angle cuts)...Has to work to build to top speed and generally is slow gathering at the point...Will drop as many easily catchable balls as he will get to the tough throws...Needs to show a stronger hand punch to combat the press and get into his routes with better urgency...Rigid in his moves and it is rare to see him generate explosion to separate after the catch.

Has marginal feel for the sidelines and needs to improve his balance and footwork along the sidelines...Just an adequate cut blocker, as he has poor ability to take angles...Does not relish blocking in-line...Has a problem shifting gears without taking false steps and is not always alert to pocket pressure and is late at times working back to the ball.

For a player of his size, he gets rerouted too much and needs to be more active with his hands to escape the jam...Needs route technique work, as he is not fluid in his patterns and drifts too much on long runs... Needs more than several reps to retain plays.

Compares To: TRAVIS TAYLOR-Carolina...Johnson seems to be maturing, both on and off the field, but still needs to develop better training habits. For a big receiver, he gets jammed by defensive backs too often, and despite his good timed speed he lacks explosive acceleration to consistently challenge the deep third of the field.

He will make a sensational catch one second and drop an easy throw the next. If he continues to mature and learns how to run routes better, he could be a decent slot receiver. But without blazing speed or a sudden burst, combined with stiff hips, he is going to be limited more to just working on controlled routes rather than stretching the field.

Essentially, he seems to be a wothwhile project, but may take a couple of years to develop.

Just for :blink: 's and giggles here's Colston's writeup from last year.

Strengths: Possesses excellent size, is a physical short-to-intermediate route-runner that uses wide frame to shield defenders from the ball and has the potential to develop into a productive red zone target. Shows good toughness, fights for the ball while it's in the air and isn't afraid to go over the middle. Reads defenses fairly well and generally does a nice job of settling into a soft spot working against zone coverage. Possesses good upper body strength, uses hands fairly well and can get a clean release working against press coverage. Possesses adequate not great speed, is a good leaper that times jumps well and flashes the ability to win jump balls downfield. Possesses good lower body strength, runs with good power and can be productive after the catch.

Weaknesses: Lacks ideal explosiveness, doesn't change directions well and has some problems creating quality separation working against man coverage. Lacks elite speed and doesn't show a second gear when tracking the ball downfield. Appears to take plays off at times and is an inconsistent route runner. Appears to lose focus at times, doesn't always catch the ball away from frame and drops some passes that should catch. Lacks the elusiveness to make multiple defenders miss and isn't much of a threat to turn a catch underneath into a long gain. Doesn't always play with a mean streak and isn't a great blocker despite size. Played at a small school and there are some concerns about ability to produce working against a much higher level of competition. Tore ligaments in right thumb in the spring of 2003, red-shirted in 2004 so could recover from shoulder surgery and durability is a concern.

Overall: Colston appeared in nine regular season games during his true freshman season in 2001 and he caught 14 passes for a total of 335 yards and three touchdowns. He started 12 games in 2002 and he caught 47 passes for a total of 614 yards and three touchdowns. Colston started 12 games and he caught 51 passes for a total of 910 yards and seven touchdowns. He underwent surgery to repair a torn ligament in his left shoulder in November of 2003 and while he could have returned for the 2004 season decided to red-shirt that year. Colston started eleven games in 2005 and he caught 70 passes for a total of 975 yards and five touchdowns. He also carried the ball twice for a total of 18 yards. Colston has to improve his footwork and ability to catch the ball with more consistency, which means he has to show improved work ethic and stay healthy. He will never be a great route runner or an explosive threat after the catch. However, he has great size, decent speed and good power, which makes him a potential mismatch on vertical routes and inside the red zone at the next level. As a result, we think Colston warrants consideration in the final two rounds of the 2006 draft.