NYT: Many Rule Changes "Because of New England"

BRH

Linkage

This was all BEFORE the Pats* were caught this year.

If a persistent problem is identified, the league's competition committee suggests changes to rules. In discussions of changes since 2000, one team, the New England Patriots*, has surfaced more than any other, according to a longtime N.F.L. team executive with direct knowledge of the meetings.
Copies of the 2007 manual obtained by The Times show that many of the recent changes concern policies on the placement of cameras and microphones, among other tactics the Patriots* have been accused of pressing to their advantage.

The N.F.L. team executive said the Patriots* were the subject of most of the accusations discussed in the rules committee's deliberations. The team's recent success and tight-lipped approach, as personified by Belichick, has played a role.

"They were the only team, really," the executive said. "Clearly, they were the team mentioned far more than anybody else."

In a preface to the 2007 operations manual, league officials listed "changes to policies."

In addition to requiring neutral operators for coach-to-quarterback radio systems during playoff games, the league said players with radio components in their helmets must wear a decal -- a lime-green dot -- displayed on the midline of the rear of the helmet.

Under radio system malfunction, the league promised to make unannounced visits to teams to make sure no one tampered with the systems.

And under stadium video locations, the guide to changes said, "Reworded: entire section."

The N.F.L. team executive said the changes to the manual matched complaints against the Patriots*.

"When they change the rules, they don't mention teams," the executive said. "But in my mind, a lot of it was from New England*."

Go over to any Pats board and you'll see that this all just the "haters", don't you know, there's no grain of truth at all to this, no matter how many folks report it repeatedly from different sources connected to the League (Peter King said basically the same thing at the end of Feb. from the combine--many coaches and players he spoke with there believed the allegations against NE since there was so much "smoke" around that team there had to be some "fire). BB and Kraft both just have a near psychotic need to win at all costs is my guess as to the root causes here.....

Go over to any Pats board and you'll see that this all just the "haters", don't you know, there's no grain of truth at all to this, no matter how many folks report it repeatedly from different sources connected to the League (Peter King said basically the same thing at the end of Feb. from the combine--many coaches and players he spoke with there believed the allegations against NE since there was so much "smoke" around that team there had to be some "fire). BB and Kraft both just have a near psychotic need to win at all costs is my guess as to the root causes here.....

I don't go to Pats* boards but I'm pretty sure the response to this is "well, of course they were changing rules because of us ... we were too good."

Which sounds good, but there's a big difference between changing rules to limit a particular team's fairly-gained dominance and clarifying/rewriting rules to prevent a particular team from brazenly "misinterpreting" them to gain an unfair advantage.

I had the misfortune of being in the Boston area last week when it was announced that the golf pro didn't have tapes from the Rams SB walk through.

For those Bills fans living within the pats* bandwagon area all I can say is: ;) . I don't know how you put up with that crap on a daily basis. Sports talk for the drive to the airport was enough to make me want to hurl.

I had the misfortune of being in the Boston area last week when it was announced that the golf pro didn't have tapes from the Rams SB walk through.

For those Bills fans living within the pats* bandwagon area all I can say is: ;) . I don't know how you put up with that crap on a daily basis. Sports talk for the drive to the airport was enough to make me want to hurl.

Would anyone miss Boston?

Can we blow it up and let it fall into the atlantic?

Would anyone miss Boston?

Can we blow it up and let it fall into the atlantic?

As long as I can get a 2fer deal on lobsters at the new coastal area have at em. Just make sure Bob Kraft is caught in the tidal wave and is swept away to some ugly bug & snake infested location suffering from amnesia and disfiguring scarring to his finger tips and face.

I know you know people, can you get this done?