Can Hardy be the Man?

Parrish is a play maker but give me a break with Reed. How many more opportunities does he need to prove he is mediocre. If Hardy can't beat him out, he would be a waste of a pick! We need starters and impact players in the second round. In our 3 wide set I hope its Hardy in and Reed on the pine.

There are a lot of players in pro sports who are lousy if expected to be "the man" and are excellent if they are expected to be role players. I don't know if you follow basketball but Lamar Odom of the Lakers was consistently erratic when asked to be the #2 man, but when Pau Gasol came over, Odom became a stud, because he was asked to be the third guy instead of the second guy. And he's better than most third guys on other teams. Josh Reed is not a #2 WR in this league, but if we are in a four wide set and he is going against the #4 CB instead of the #2 CB, he should beat that guy almost every time. Parrish is similar. He cannot be a #2 but he can be a GREAT #3 if the #2 is effective and commands attention because the back-ups on most teams would have a tough time covering these players, but starters can.

• Replies 48
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

There are a lot of players in pro sports who are lousy if expected to be "the man" and are excellent if they are expected to be role players. I don't know if you follow basketball but Lamar Odom of the Lakers was consistently erratic when asked to be the #2 man, but when Pau Gasol came over, Odom became a stud, because he was asked to be the third guy instead of the second guy. And he's better than most third guys on other teams. Josh Reed is not a #2 WR in this league, but if we are in a four wide set and he is going against the #4 CB instead of the #2 CB, he should beat that guy almost every time. Parrish is similar. He cannot be a #2 but he can be a GREAT #3 if the #2 is effective and commands attention because the back-ups on most teams would have a tough time covering these players, but starters can.

I agree. Reed is a good player, when playing his role. It is WAY too easy to dismiss a player because they are not a 1 or 2 guy. But you need the 3 and 4 players to play their roles effectively. Reed can do that, imo.

my only expectations for him this year (his rookie year) will be to provide a big enough threat/distraction to stop Evans from getting double teamed and open up the field for everyone else. id like him to have about 6 TDs, but im not looking for huge yardage/reception numbers.

if he can just draw some coverage to him and open the offense up for Evans and Lynch and Parrish, then I'm happy with his rookie performance.

just because he doesnt put up huge yardage wont mean he had an unsuccessful year as long as the entire offense improves.

you are correct.

DCs will be living in fear of trying to defend the awesome height of Hardy.

They will have to rotate 2 or even 3 DBs to contain him for fear of him catching even "a pass or two".

Lee Evans will be able to run wild since there will probably be plays where he is not covered at all due to the mere presence of Hardy.

Happy times are here again.

I agree. Reed is a good player, when playing his role. It is WAY too easy to dismiss a player because they are not a 1 or 2 guy. But you need the 3 and 4 players to play their roles effectively. Reed can do that, imo.

If Reeds role is #4 then yes, he is a good #4. But thats it! He was a 2nd rounder, I sure hope Hardy is better. Reed had 51 catches for 578 yards and ZERO TDs. I don't think I'm out of line looking for 50 Rec, 800 Yrds, 5 TDs from Hardy this year. Raise your expectations people, Bills are going to rock this season! The stars will align and BUFF is heading for the Play-offs.

If Reeds role is #4 then yes, he is a good #4. But thats it! He was a 2nd rounder, I sure hope Hardy is better. Reed had 51 catches for 578 yards and ZERO TDs. I don't think I'm out of line looking for 50 Rec, 800 Yrds, 5 TDs from Hardy this year. Raise your expectations people, Bills are going to rock this season! The stars will align and BUFF is heading for the Play-offs.

you will be seriously disappointed.

Reed will continue to start until Hardy proves he can block better than Reed

Nonsense. Reed is a terrific blocker. There is a good chance that Hardy will never be able to block as good as Reed in his entire career.

I agree. Hardy needs to just be adequate at blocking to win the starting job. Reed is simply not a #2 WR.

Parrish is a play maker but give me a break with Reed. How many more opportunities does he need to prove he is mediocre. If Hardy can't beat him out, he would be a waste of a pick! We need starters and impact players in the second round. In our 3 wide set I hope its Hardy in and Reed on the pine.

Josh Reed was very productive last year playing out of his position. Josh Reed is likely to be the opening day starter at the #2 WR position. And if JR is mediocre, just based on his numbers, what does that make Parrish, a guy who had maybe 15 catches last year? He's been here for three years and hasn't done squat. If you want to argue that we should cut anyone, it should be Parrish. He's even expendable on in the punting game now with McKelvin coming onboard in the Draft. Josh Reed was clutch last season, but for soem reason people continue to hate on him.

As for Hardy, I do expect that he will come in and participate in a big way this year. I think that 50-600-8 is a relatively realistic expectation, but his numbers could be even higher if our #3 and #4 step it up. Don't be surprised if our seventh round pick comes in and plays well in the four receiver set. He has shown good hands in camp and runs very good routes. He also has very good speed.

Josh Reed was very productive last year playing out of his position. Josh Reed is likely to be the opening day starter at the #2 WR position. And if JR is mediocre, just based on his numbers, what does that make Parrish, a guy who had maybe 15 catches last year? He's been here for three years and hasn't done squat. If you want to argue that we should cut anyone, it should be Parrish. He's even expendable on in the punting game now with McKelvin coming onboard in the Draft. Josh Reed was clutch last season, but for soem reason people continue to hate on him.

As for Hardy, I do expect that he will come in and participate in a big way this year. I think that 50-600-8 is a relatively realistic expectation, but his numbers could be even higher if our #3 and #4 step it up. Don't be surprised if our seventh round pick comes in and plays well in the four receiver set. He has shown good hands in camp and runs very good routes. He also has very good speed.

I just don't see how Hardy could be anything other than the #2 WR going into the season, with Reed in the slot. Those are where they are best utilized, and at worst, Hardy commands attention given his great size and good speed.

As soon as Roscoe Parrish catches two punts this year, he will become the second leading punt returner in NFL History, after he was passed in the last couple games last year by Devin Hester, who had two TDs in the last month. Parrish is not going to be replaced by McKelvin.

As far as receiver goes, he was ineffective because he was asked to be a #2 man, which he can't be. Or a #3 with zero production from the #2. If Hardy is any good, Parrish should shine, and will very likely have similar or better numbers than Harvey will. The Bills will use him in the slot like Welker.

As soon as Roscoe Parrish catches two punts this year, he will become the second leading punt returner in NFL History, after he was passed in the last couple games last year by Devin Hester, who had two TDs in the last month. Parrish is not going to be replaced by McKelvin.

As far as receiver goes, he was ineffective because he was asked to be a #2 man, which he can't be. Or a #3 with zero production from the #2. If Hardy is any good, Parrish should shine, and will very likely have similar or better numbers than Harvey will. The Bills will use him in the slot like Welker.

with or without Hardy, the Bills passing game will be much improved simply by upgrading to NFL level pass routes and packages.

Running WRs down the seam, on crossing routes and slant patterns and actually calling plays that throw the ball down the field will do more to improve the offense than any personnel changes.

with or without Hardy, the Bills passing game will be much improved simply by upgrading to NFL level pass routes and packages.

Running WRs down the seam, on crossing routes and slant patterns and actually calling plays that throw the ball down the field will do more to improve the offense than any personnel changes.

You're right. If we actually do that. I have my doubts about Shonert. :rolleyes:

I'm looking forward more to Hardy's presence on the field than his stats. Having him being an effective redzone threat and catching passes for 1st downs to move the chains would be a successful season not only for him but also for our team. If opposing defenses try to double up and shut down Lee Evans and only provide single coverage with a smaller DB on Hardy then James' physical build will make it a total mismatch. Having Hardy only catching redzone TDs and short gainers for 1st downs will be the least that we can expect and that will be good enough to make this offense go but if Hardy were to add any kind of significant RAC then Buffalo will shred defenses and THAT'S when it's going to be real exciting for our offense. Once defenses realize that they have to pay more attention to Hardy then that's when Evans will blow up in a big way. Having Josh Reed in the slot will be another dimension for us also. He isn't effective as a #2 WR but he is definitely a very dangerous slot receiver. He really impressed me last year with alot of important catches, especially for 1st downs. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE BUFFALO! Go Bills!

I'm looking forward more to Hardy's presence on the field than his stats. Having him being an effective redzone threat and catching passes for 1st downs to move the chains would be a successful season not only for him but also for our team. If opposing defenses try to double up and shut down Lee Evans and only provide single coverage with a smaller DB on Hardy then James' physical build will make it a total mismatch. Having Hardy only catching redzone TDs and short gainers for 1st downs will be the least that we can expect and that will be good enough to make this offense go but if Hardy were to add any kind of significant RAC then Buffalo will shred defenses and THAT'S when it's going to be real exciting for our offense. Once defenses realize that they have to pay more attention to Hardy then that's when Evans will blow up in a big way. Having Josh Reed in the slot will be another dimension for us also. He isn't effective as a #2 WR but he is definitely a very dangerous slot receiver. He really impressed me last year with alot of important catches, especially for 1st downs. THIS IS THE YEAR OF THE BUFFALO! Go Bills!

For Hardy to be effective as you describe, he will have to get off the line and get separation from the CB- 2 things which he struggled with at Indiana - and why he did not go in the 1st round. He has yet to prove he can do these basics, let alone learn the blitz adjustments and other intricacies which typically take 2-3 years to master.

For Hardy to be effective as you describe, he will have to get off the line and get separation from the CB- 2 things which he struggled with at Indiana - and why he did not go in the 1st round. He has yet to prove he can do these basics, let alone learn the blitz adjustments and other intricacies which typically take 2-3 years to master.

No WR went in the first round. Does that mean they'll all have trouble getting off the line and getting separation? And how much trouble did Hardy have getting off the LOS and getting separation compared to the other rookie WR's? Take a look at their college stats. Hardy's are better than most of them, while his total TD's are sick.

for me, as long as he can open things up for lee evans and in the long run(pun intended) marshawn lynch, I would be very happy with that alone.

Totally agree...

If Hardy can keep the chains moving on 3rd Down, and give TE the legit Red Zone option this Offense was GREATLY lacking, He'll be a HUGE Rookie success IMO...I think if Defenses don't play Him honest Hardy will have more Big Plays than most Rookies simply because He's a rediculous match-up and He does have enough speed to go deep...But Playing Hardy honest should mean more One-on-One coverage for #83...So...It's all good...Or it should be at least...This Offense has rediculous potential now...But it does hinge on Hardy becoming a factor due to the match-up problems He can cause, and of coarse more than anything Marshawn Lynch Running the Ball and Catching it out of the Backfield...I think if Hardy can at least draw enough attention his way, Lynch is going to go crazy this Year catching dump-offs for BIG gains...

I think the big number Seasons for Hardy are in the not-so-distant future...But as a Rookie He'll have a role to play...And as long as He does well in that role, this Offense should improve quite a bit in 08...We'll see soon enough... :blink:

No WR went in the first round. Does that mean they'll all have trouble getting off the line and getting separation? And how much trouble did Hardy have getting off the LOS and getting separation compared to the other rookie WR's? Take a look at their college stats. Hardy's are better than most of them, while his total TD's are sick.

yes - at least according to those analyzing the draft.

This is one of the reasons it usually takes a WR 3 years to acclimate to the NFL.

Totally agree...

If Hardy can keep the chains moving on 3rd Down, and give TE the legit Red Zone option this Offense was GREATLY lacking, He'll be a HUGE Rookie success IMO...I think if Defenses don't play Him honest Hardy will have more Big Plays than most Rookies simply because He's a rediculous match-up and He does have enough speed to go deep...But Playing Hardy honest should mean more One-on-One coverage for #83...So...It's all good...Or it should be at least...This Offense has rediculous potential now...But it does hinge on Hardy becoming a factor due to the match-up problems He can cause, and of coarse more than anything Marshawn Lynch Running the Ball and Catching it out of the Backfield...I think if Hardy can at least draw enough attention his way, Lynch is going to go crazy this Year catching dump-offs for BIG gains...

I think the big number Seasons for Hardy are in the not-so-distant future...But as a Rookie He'll have a role to play...And as long as He does well in that role, this Offense should improve quite a bit in 08...We'll see soon enough... :blink:

I agree

Teams will need to use 2 and 3 DBs on Hardy immediately to make sure his tallness doesn;t burn teams deep.

It just does not matter that our own 5'9" CB shut him down totally negating his height advantage.

Teams will not shift coverage away from Evans until Hardy proves conclusively that he consistently will make big plays - and that won;t happen until he can beat the jam and get separation.