PFW:Increase in season-ticket sales only Band-Aid for Bills' finan

"With the Bills having already surpassed last year’s season-ticket sales of 48,236, many have seen the spike as a unified voice indicating that the Bills’ fans are “protesting” the relocation of eight games over a five-year span from Buffalo to Toronto. But according to a source close to the team, the increase in season-ticket sales is rooted in something far more obvious: The team is looking good. Coming off a 7-9 season while not losing any key players and bringing aboard a host of quality newcomers, the Bills are seen by many around Buffalo and the NFL as a legitimate playoff contender, rather than the also-ran they’ve been for so many years. According to the source, it’s purely coincidental that the ticket spike is coinciding with Year One of the move to Toronto, and that there’s no realistic chance that a groundswell of Buffalo support for the franchise to stay in its longtime home will have any tangible results. It’s seen as only a matter of time before the poor Buffalo economy will eventually prove too much of a liability for the team, and it’ll be forced to relocate permanently to Toronto."

-F PFW for running this story and I would love to hear who their "inside source" is...

• Replies 66
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

"With the Bills having already surpassed last year’s season-ticket sales of 48,236, many have seen the spike as a unified voice indicating that the Bills’ fans are “protesting” the relocation of eight games over a five-year span from Buffalo to Toronto. But according to a source close to the team, the increase in season-ticket sales is rooted in something far more obvious: The team is looking good. Coming off a 7-9 season while not losing any key players and bringing aboard a host of quality newcomers, the Bills are seen by many around Buffalo and the NFL as a legitimate playoff contender, rather than the also-ran they’ve been for so many years. According to the source, it’s purely coincidental that the ticket spike is coinciding with Year One of the move to Toronto, and that there’s no realistic chance that a groundswell of Buffalo support for the franchise to stay in its longtime home will have any tangible results. It’s seen as only a matter of time before the poor Buffalo economy will eventually prove too much of a liability for the team, and it’ll be forced to relocate permanently to Toronto."

-F PFW for running this story and I would love to hear who their "inside source" is...

So, wait. You're upset because they say "the team is looking good"?

:rolleyes:

The source can't be Ralph, because he thinks the spike is due to only having to pay for eight games. (Sorry, you'll get no link on that one.) And said source is absolutely right that brisk season ticket sales won't keep the team here when RCW is no longer in the picture. A local ownership group with pockets deep enough to outbid Ted Rogers is the only thing that will make that happen. On the other hand, poor ticket sales would have been a death knell...

Yeah, forget about all the potential owners that vow to keep the team in Buffalo. It's final. There as good as gone.

Like who?

Who in the Buffalo area has stood up and said that they vow to keep the Bills in buffalo, and can financially do so?

Jim Kelly is the only one, and all he said was that he has this mysterious group of investors with the money. Golisano said he would look into it. So far its all talk, heck I could say right now that I have the money and will buy them and keep them here, and I'm just about as credible as the others

Like who?

Who in the Buffalo area has stood up and said that they vow to keep the Bills in buffalo, and can financially do so?

Jim Kelly is the only one, and all he said was that he has this mysterious group of investors with the money. Golisano said he would look into it. So far its all talk, heck I could say right now that I have the money and will buy them and keep them here, and I'm just about as credible as the others

Except, Galisano ACTUALLY has money... also, Jack Kemp is a chairman for multiple billion dollar corporations, there is no doubt his friends could buy the Bills.

Except, Galisano ACTUALLY has money... also, Jack Kemp is a chairman for multiple billion dollar corporations, there is no doubt his friends could buy the Bills.

I think you've hit on the point. It is not just Jim Kelly who has said he has the money to buy the team and keep it in Buffalo. He has said repeatedly that he has been working with Jack Kemp and they have put together a group of investors who are willing to keep the team in Buffalo. Further, while Golisano hasn't said he would outright buy the team, he has indicated that he will do everything in his power to keep them here. I take that to mean, he would be more than happy to be one among a number of investors who would be willing to purchase the team. I think the Bills will remain in Buffalo for at least another five years, until RCW passes away, assuming he lives five more years. By then, there will be enough people and money invested to buy the team and outbid Rogers.

For a Toronto move to happen, the following all needs to happen:

(1) A Toronto ownership group has to outbid any ownership group in Buffalo or anywhere else, and be able to pay the relocation fee that the NFL charges teams moving to larger markets (they have to compensate the loss of a potential expansion location ---- the NFL might waive this to some extent but it's still an issue). (moderate difficulty)

(2) The NFL has to be okay with destroying the CFL, which will happen if there is a full fledged team in Toronto and defending against the inevitable lawsuits if such a move occurred. (high difficultly).

(3) Either public authorities or the new ownership group will have to pay for a state-of-the-art stadium to replace the Rogers Centre, because it is not a NFL-class stadium and sustained revenue growth requires a higher class of stadium. (moderate difficulty)

I am not saying that the Bills are not at risk of moving, but I don't see what makes Toronto so inevitable.

Inside source you ask?

Both Marv Levy and Dick Jauron are good friends with Pro Football Weekly's publisher Hub Arkush.

they probably could

but being members of multi-billion $ corps, their interest would be in maximizing the return on their investment - which would require moving the team to a city where the county govt is not the largest employer.

luxury boxes and additinal revenue streams from big business is the name of the game - and its not happening in Buffalo.

they probably could

but being members of multi-billion $ corps, their interest would be in maximizing the return on their investment - which would require moving the team to a city where the county govt is not the largest employer.

luxury boxes and additinal revenue streams from big business is the name of the game - and its not happening in Buffalo.

Some owners own teams like normal businesses, but most own them for pleasure and ego.

For a Toronto move to happen, the following all needs to happen:

(1) A Toronto ownership group has to outbid any ownership group in Buffalo or anywhere else, and be able to pay the relocation fee that the NFL charges teams moving to larger markets (they have to compensate the loss of a potential expansion location ---- the NFL might waive this to some extent but it's still an issue). (moderate difficulty)

-At last report, Ted Rogers is worth approximately $5 billion.

(2) The NFL has to be okay with destroying the CFL, which will happen if there is a full fledged team in Toronto and defending against the inevitable lawsuits if such a move occurred. (high difficultly).

-$5 billion can buy not only a professional sports franchise, but a bevy of good lawyers. And I'm not exactly sure Rogers gives a rat's patoot about the CFL. (I wish he did, because I agree with you -- the CFL would survive, I think, but certainly not at its present level.)

(3) Either public authorities or the new ownership group will have to pay for a state-of-the-art stadium to replace the Rogers Centre, because it is not a NFL-class stadium and sustained revenue growth requires a higher class of stadium. (moderate difficulty)

-PSLs, with the Rogers Centre mailing list to work from.

I am not saying that the Bills are not at risk of moving, but I don't see what makes Toronto so inevitable.

Not inevitable, but I hate our odds....

Yeah, forget about all the potential owners that vow to keep the team in Buffalo. It's final. There as good as gone.

I've begun to think that Jim Kelly's group of "potential owners" is a bit of a farce, IIRC he's never actually given any specific names or given any details.

So, wait. You're upset because they say "the team is looking good"?

:blink:

The source can't be Ralph, because he thinks the spike is due to only having to pay for eight games. (Sorry, you'll get no link on that one.) And said source is absolutely right that brisk season ticket sales won't keep the team here when RCW is no longer in the picture. A local ownership group with pockets deep enough to outbid Ted Rogers is the only thing that will make that happen. On the other hand, poor ticket sales would have been a death knell...

Ted Rogers is old and not looking great. He may not have the patience or the health to wait out Ralph if Ralph lasts another 5-6 years.

Ralph Wilson has been crying the Blues since he bought the team..He even went as far as going to Seattle in the early 70's aboput relocating the team due to the economy..Broken record..The man knows how to pull every last penny and uses every option to get it...Dumb like a fox...

Ralph Wilson has been crying the Blues since he bought the team..He even went as far as going to Seattle in the early 70's aboput relocating the team due to the economy..Broken record..The man knows how to pull every last penny and uses every option to get it...Dumb like a fox...

True, he was dumb to not move the team to Seattle, or anywhere else, when he had the chance. Thank goodness for that!

Actually, I believe Seattle came to him, as did NYC mayor John Lindsay (when the Giants first announced they were moving to New Jersey)...

Some owners own teams like normal businesses, but most own them for pleasure and ego.

Wrong. They own them first for the profit, second for the pleasure. Winning increase profits and increases pleasure, which inflates their ego. But don't be foolish enough to think that anyone invests $800M or more for pleasure. Sorry, I'm a diehard Bills fan and if I bought the team, it's be first as an investment and second as pleasure.

Wrong. They own them first for the profit, second for the pleasure. Winning increase profits and increases pleasure, which inflates their ego. But don't be foolish enough to think that anyone invests $800M or more for pleasure. Sorry, I'm a diehard Bills fan and if I bought the team, it's be first as an investment and second as pleasure.

It's not as if they buy a team in order to lose money, but the idea that they run it like any other business is foolish.