$2.99 gas for 3 years

You guys kill me. If your not educated about something why doubt it ? The state of California and Federal rebates total about 10 to 15K reducing the cost of the solar system from 25 to 30K down to around 15 K. I didn't include the cost of the elec. car because I'm still pricing them out. Sheesh. What a bunch of f-ing hicks around here.

My Chemical Engineering PhD hick ass that was in the optical engineering industry still works closely with folks in the solar power business in Northern California and all of them (IN THE INDUSTRY) have told me that it's not even close to being worth the hype yet. Cost is too high and the efficiency isn't there yet. You must know something the experts trying to develop the technology don't know.

As soon as it becomes remotely cost effective, I'll get a system myself.

My Chemical Engineering PhD hick ass that was in the optical engineering industry still works closely with folks in the solar power business in Northern California and all of them (IN THE INDUSTRY) have told me that it's not even close to being worth the hype yet. Cost is too high and the efficiency isn't there yet. You must know something the experts trying to develop the technology don't know.

So why are people installing them here in San Diego ? While watching their elec. meters spin backwards and getting a bill at the end of the month for $0 and charging their elec. cars to boot ! Seems like the system is working just fine despite your doom and gloom outlook !

So why are people installing them here in San Diego ? While watching their elec. meters spin backwards and getting a bill at the end of the month for $0 and charging their elec. cars to boot ! Seems like the system is working just fine despite your doom and gloom outlook !
It's not even worth arguing with you. Technology exists but it's not cost effective yet. Mass implementation happens once technology becomes efficient and cost effective enough for everyone. Being practical and understanding the technology and market does not equal doom and gloom. What the hell, do you think I want this to fail?

It's not even worth arguing with you. Technology exists but it's not cost effective yet. Mass implementation happens once technology becomes efficient and cost effective enough for everyone. Being practical and understanding the technology and market does not equal doom and gloom. What the hell, do you think I want this to fail?

I should point out that because of location and climate, San Diego is one of the more ideal locations for solar power. FiSD's numbers do seem a little outlandish to me (paying for itself in 12-15 months, in particular)...but hell, even in DC I could drop $15k on a solar plant that would generate more electricity than I use in the summer months.

You guys kill me. If your not educated about something why doubt it ? ..... What a bunch of f-ing hicks around here.

My Chemical Engineering PhD hick ass that was in the optical engineering industry still works closely with folks in the solar power business in Northern California

:blink:

I'm thinking of getting an electric car for my wife. Put in a solar system on my house that can run my entire house with using no elec. in fact spin the meter backwards and sell the excess electricity back to the elec. company. Now I can charge my wife's car for free from the solar system. That should save me about $1000 a month. The system pays itself back in 12 to 15 months.

Any recommendations on elec. cars ?

Tesla Roadster

Your still a hick and your probably not a Phd either or you wouldn't be arguing about the early cost of solar power. Early adopters always pay more, the price comes down as more units get sold. Just like flat screen TV's started out at $15,000 per unit. Now they are around $1000 per unit.

So be happy some people arte paying the higher prices so the price will eventually come down.

Your still a hick and your probably not a Phd either or you wouldn't be arguing about the early cost of solar power. Early adopters always pay more, the price comes down as more units get sold. Just like flat screen TV's started out at $15,000 per unit. Now they are around $1000 per unit.

So be happy some people arte paying the higher prices so the price will eventually come down.

So...basically you're saying through all this hostility that I'm right? That it's not currently cost effective and only early adopters with too much money can afford it? Thank you.

By the way, You are = You're...not Your. But you don't need a Ph.D. to know that. And yes, I have a Ph.D. I also have a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering and deal with solar energy applications on a weekly basis for one of my projects...but you know more thanks to hearsay and news clippings.

I hate to argue with your enthusiasm about solar power because like I said, I really hope it becomes cost effective quickly...but you're not even thinking rationally and are misinformed thanks to our wonderfully reactionary media and your own personal gullibility. Thanks for being an early adopter I guess...

Scientific American-Scientists Know Better Than You--Even When They're Wrong

Some are made in Ohio, some are assembled in Ontario (NAFTA). Oddly, I am pretty sure the percentage of North American parts on my new Fit is higher than the "American" equivalent.

I doubt it. The Fit is not made in the United States or Canada. I doubt the domestic content is high at all. Domestic content is only competitive in foreign make models actually assembled here.

IIRC from my brief time working at a Toyota dealership, Toyota has something like four or five assembly plants in the US and a major one in Huntsville, Ala.

Yes, but of course they have the advantage of not having labor legacy costs and not having to deal with the production costs of unions outside of the Nummi plant Toyota shares with GM in California.

And Ford is even worse. Ford is now claiming "to be equal in quality with Toyota" in their commercials. Initial quality. What really matters to most folks (given lemon laws) is long term quality and maintanence costs.

I just bought a Honda Fit (waiting on it), my '06 Civic with 50K has cost almost nothing to run.

Reputation lags reality. Initial quality is the first step, but warranty and longer measures of quality are also improving. Impending doom can motivate change.

By the way, Google Honda Transmission and see the tales of dissatisfied customers who have had transmission issues with Honda vehicles at around the 100K mark. Consumer Reports has stopped automatically recommending Toyota reliability because of significant reliability issues with some new vehicles including the new Tundra.

I am not going to argue that the domestics -- even Ford -- have caught up with foreign makes outside of initial quality, but there is no perfect reputation and 50,000 of trouble free miles on a 2006 car is not remarkable.

So...basically you're saying through all this hostility that I'm right? That it's not currently cost effective and only early adopters with too much money can afford it? Thank you.

By the way, You are = You're...not Your. But you don't need a Ph.D. to know that. And yes, I have a Ph.D. I also have a BS and MS in Chemical Engineering and deal with solar energy applications on a weekly basis for one of my projects...but you know more thanks to hearsay and news clippings.

I hate to argue with your enthusiasm about solar power because like I said, I really hope it becomes cost effective quickly...but you're not even thinking rationally and are misinformed thanks to our wonderfully reactionary media and your own personal gullibility. Thanks for being an early adopter I guess...

Scientific American-Scientists Know Better Than You--Even When They're Wrong

Your still a hick and an ass. There is no cure for that.