Florida Keys

We have narrowed our search and now are looking at one of the Florida Keys. Anyone have good experince with any hotels? And suggestions on which key is the best? etc, etc.

Any tips would be appreciated.

Half way on marathon at key lime resorts on the gulf side, equadistant from both key west and key largo. good time will be had by all. eat at herbies bar and grill try the conch fritters

Islamorada

Yeah, I've hear that is the nicest key. We are looking specifically for a place RIGHT on on the beach (which i know on the keys that is most places). Any specific recommendations on where to stay?

I think it depends on what you want to do.

In all honesty, based on what I know of you as a random person on the internet - I think you would have a lot of fun in Key West. Problem with key west is that the beaches suck . You go there more for the shops, the restaurants and the bars (which are a good time with a good atmosphere), and spend your days on a snorkeling cruise or at your hotel / condo pool. I have had a great time in key west, but I have always gone for more of a fun atmosphere - not a relaxing trip with my new fiance.

I have just driven through all of other keys, so will defer to others about what they offer - but they are probably calmer, less crowded and more picturesque.

Islamorada is a good tip. I stayed there by last trip. You are by the tiki bar and Islamorada Fish Company. Definately check out the aquarium in the tackle shop next to Islamorada Fish Company. I would not stay any more north then Islamorada. I think the Keys are a dump until you get to Key Largo. A bike is nice to have when you are in the Keys- you can bike Key to Key. Marathon is a blast! And Key West is by far the funnest place to stay! It is expensive though. Definitely do not miss out on Key West

I made many weekend trips to Key West in my younger life when I spent some time in S. Fla. as a college co-op. My first advice for people going to the Keys is if you are going - go all the way to Key West. Then if you are going to Key West - get someplace close to Duvall St. There are some hotels just as you get on the island - Duvall St is further down. Some places may be a couple blocks off it - but to me it is well worth it to be able to walk to the bars and walk back home. I haven't been there in over 15 years - not sure what is there anymore.

There are other options too instead of just chain hotels. The last time I went was with my wife and we stayed at this place - which was pretty pricey but a really neat place

http://www.thebanyanresort.com/index.htm

Rainbow Bend Resort. You get the use of a 15 foot Boston Whaler for half a day, then head a little further south and eat at Keys Fisheries. I highly recommend the Lobster Reuben. You can find both places on line.

Thanks for all the input. We decided on Key West. We are staying here for 7 days.

http://www.islandcityhouse.com/

We have a room in the Cigar House.

Reviews on Trip Advisor are pretty much as good as it gets.

I know that place, never stayed there. My family has a timeshare at the Hyatt Sunset Harbor. Definately eat at Rickey's Blue Heaven in Jamaica Villiage. Doesn't look like much, but the best food in the Keys....by far.

wise decision choosing key west if you want beaches. i have family throughout the keys, mostly on Marathon, and the only real beaches ive seen have been on key west.

You realize there is one, small beach on Key West right? Key West is not the spot for beaches. Islamorda, Marathon or even Key Largo have better beaches. Nightlife, restaurants, biking and nice pools are definately the Key West vibe...beaches, not so much.

My wife and I are headed to Fantasy Fest this year

pics?

You realize there is one, small beach on Key West right?

and not only is it small, but it is all coral so walking in for a swim is just about impossible.