how about that marty biron

Hmmmm. a hot shot who is sitting home. Biron is more than a career back up. how did he do against the sabres this year ?

Probably shouldn't even respond to idiots who don't read others posts completely, but here it goes. I did say "at the time", those were the Sabres choices. And you can't really dispute that those were the choices, Marty was a back up for the majority of his career and Miller was the up and coming goalie. Please take time to read others posts completely, before giving a half a$$ reply and yet again play the Monday morning quarterback role. Shoulda, coulda, woulda's are very easy a year later...

• Replies 57
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Probably shouldn't even respond to idiots who don't read others posts completely, but here it goes. I did say "at the time", those were the Sabres choices. And you can't really dispute that those were the choices, Marty was a back up for the majority of his career and Miller was the up and coming goalie. Please take time to read others posts completely, before giving a half a$$ reply and yet again play the Monday morning quarterback role. Shoulda, coulda, woulda's are very easy a year later...
hey jacka$$ , i did read your whole run on sentence and i just wanted to reply to a few ideas. I also can tell that you don't deal with different ideas well and my replies are not half a$$. I saw this from a million miles away. Miller was shakey at best, even in our two cup runs we weren't there because of Miller, we were there despite Miller. Remember the way Biron played when Miller got hurt in 2006/07. Chemistry is what took us that far, not Miller. When we lost Briere, Drury and now Cambell we lost almost all of our chemistry. I come by these ideas via watching every period of every game for 30 years. Miller was not the right choice just like Vanek isn.t worth the big money we payed him. I knew it then and I know it now. No wouldas , no couldas and no shouldas. By the way i really don't appreciate the personal attacks in this reply . Thats the kind of thing that gets you smacked in the mouth on the streets. ;)

Fixed that for you

Yes, you are right, another one the should have been mentioned in the title :ph34r: But you knew that was the way it was going to be with danny, didn't you? I hope Vanek was worth it! Lets just hope Tom doesn't buy the Bills or we are doubley doomed ;)

Disagree somewhat about poor technique. His technique was fine last year and the year before when he racked up regular-season and playoff wins -- when he was able to get a few nights off and was able to work on his game in practice. Lindy and Ryan both admitted that as the season wore on Ryan was unable to put in the kind of practice time he feels he needs to maintain his game, simply because he was physically and mentally fatigued. So yes, the workload affected his technique at different times, and there were some games where he was overplaying initial shots or swimming in his crease to get back in position, but there were a lot of games where he was very good.

And it is true that Miller wanted the heavier workload, but I don't think he envisioned 33 straight starts after the break, with no nights off until the team was eliminated. He wanted to prove he could handle that kind of workload, and management wanted to see if he could handle it. So in that sense his overuse was a good thing - they learned that he is not one of the very rare physical freaks who can handle 75+ games and still have a lot left in the tank for the postseason. Not a big deal, because most no.1 goalies are 60-65 game players and need nights off. I was glad to hear Lindy say that he doesn't want to play Ryan 70+ games again if possible.

But Tbo's disappointing season cannot be understated. He sucked this year well before they hit the post-ASB stretch run, and the staff clearly lost faith in him. There were a few opportunities over the last few months where they could have started Tbo but elected not to, and it hurt Ryan and then team in the long run.

Whatever ;)

Personally being that Biron was a good trooper for the Sabres for over 10 years, waiting to get his chance etc...and to see him excel, I am happy for him, even if it is for the Flyers.

GO BIRON AND BRIERE!!!!!

Whatever ;)

What a fantastic, well-thought-out, intelligent and coherent contribution to the discussion. Thanks for proving that you are nothing more than another hysterical Monday-morning QB who would rather tell everyone who screwed up and how badly rather than discuss and debate why things happened.

Personally being that Biron was a good trooper for the Sabres for over 10 years, waiting to get his chance etc...and to see him excel, I am happy for him, even if it is for the Flyers.

GO BIRON AND BRIERE!!!!!

I can get behind rooting for Biron, but couldn't care less about Briere. In the words of Scrubs' Dr. Cox - I don't hate Danny, I nothing him. I cheered for him when he was a Sabre but now he is just another faceless douchebag wearing the orange and black.

hey jacka$$ , i did read your whole run on sentence and i just wanted to reply to a few ideas. I also can tell that you don't deal with different ideas well and my replies are not half a$$. I saw this from a million miles away. Miller was shakey at best, even in our two cup runs we weren't there because of Miller, we were there despite Miller. Remember the way Biron played when Miller got hurt in 2006/07. Chemistry is what took us that far, not Miller. When we lost Briere, Drury and now Cambell we lost almost all of our chemistry. I come by these ideas via watching every period of every game for 30 years. Miller was not the right choice just like Vanek isn.t worth the big money we payed him. I knew it then and I know it now. No wouldas , no couldas and no shouldas. By the way i really don't appreciate the personal attacks in this reply . Thats the kind of thing that gets you smacked in the mouth on the streets. ;)

Great, another internet tough guy. "Hmmmm. a hot shot who is sitting home. Biron is more than a career back up. how did he do against the sabres this year ?" is considered replying with a few idea's? I never said wether or not I agreed with the decision, just stating the facts as they were at that point and time. I never gave my opinion, so your 30 years of experience mean nothing to me....

There is NOTHING better than when someone starts shooting off at the mouth about the Sabres when they have no idea what they're talking about. I'll try my best to make a few points that should be obvious, but clearly aren't to some...

1. Miller > Biron and it's not even close. We got to the ECF 2 years straight DESPITE Miller?!? You can take your 30 years of watching hockey and flush them down the toilet, because that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The guy has been playing behind an AHL caliber defense for 3 years now, and the Sabres brass insists on doing nothing to fix it. The only steady/reliable players we've had over that time period are McKee, Lydman and Spacek once in a while, and I guess Numminen is a decent 6th guy. Tallinder, Campbell, Kalinin, Fitzpatrick, ect. were all a bunch of !@#$in trainwrecks that couldn't get out of their own way. Thank GOD for the emergence of Sekera and Weber, and a few decent prospects coming through the system like Brennan and Butler, or we'd be in for another 5 years of this. And Biron...please, let's stop sucking him off because he outplayed a Washington team that literally has only 3 guys who can score on their whole team, and Montreal who forgot how to play offense for 2 weeks. Philly fans were ready to run him out of town until last week. I need to give him some credit because he did win these games, but Christ, to just close the book that he is now better than Miller....sheer foolishness.

2. The front office has made an infinite number of poor moves in the past 2 years, but signing T-Bo isn't one of them. The guy was coming off a great year in Pitt, and was regarded as one of the best free agent goalies last offseason. I, like many other Sabres fans, was very satisfied when we picked him up.

3. To the why'd we get rid of Conklin camp, you must have missed the 06-07 season.

I apologize in advance if this comes off as harsh, but there's nothing more frustrating than when people feel it's their duty to criticize decisions in hindsight, even when the moves made are no brainers. Trading Biron and dumping Conklin....if either of these moves DIDNT happen there would have been a shitstorm in Buffalo.

There is NOTHING better than when someone starts shooting off at the mouth about the Sabres when they have no idea what they're talking about. I'll try my best to make a few points that should be obvious, but clearly aren't to some...

1. Miller > Biron and it's not even close. We got to the ECF 2 years straight DESPITE Miller?!? You can take your 30 years of watching hockey and flush them down the toilet, because that's one of the dumbest things I've ever read. The guy has been playing behind an AHL caliber defense for 3 years now, and the Sabres brass insists on doing nothing to fix it. The only steady/reliable players we've had over that time period are McKee, Lydman and Spacek once in a while, and I guess Numminen is a decent 6th guy. Tallinder, Campbell, Kalinin, Fitzpatrick, ect. were all a bunch of !@#$in trainwrecks that couldn't get out of their own way. Thank GOD for the emergence of Sekera and Weber, and a few decent prospects coming through the system like Brennan and Butler, or we'd be in for another 5 years of this. And Biron...please, let's stop sucking him off because he outplayed a Washington team that literally has only 3 guys who can score on their whole team, and Montreal who forgot how to play offense for 2 weeks. Philly fans were ready to run him out of town until last week. I need to give him some credit because he did win these games, but Christ, to just close the book that he is now better than Miller....sheer foolishness.

2. The front office has made an infinite number of poor moves in the past 2 years, but signing T-Bo isn't one of them. The guy was coming off a great year in Pitt, and was regarded as one of the best free agent goalies last offseason. I, like many other Sabres fans, was very satisfied when we picked him up.

3. To the why'd we get rid of Conklin camp, you must have missed the 06-07 season.

I apologize in advance if this comes off as harsh, but there's nothing more frustrating than when people feel it's their duty to criticize decisions in hindsight, even when the moves made are no brainers. Trading Biron and dumping Conklin....if either of these moves DIDNT happen there would have been a shitstorm in Buffalo.

1. :P

2. Agreed. Signing Tbo, when it happened, was not a bad move. He was coming off a pretty good year for a backup and has substantial experience as both a starter and backup. In hindsight the move looks more like a bad one, as Tbo struggled more often than not and quickly fell out of favor with the coaching staff, being relegated to mop-up duty after the ASB until the team was eliminated from playoff contention.

3. There was absolutely no way anyone could know that Conklin, given his record and play the previous two years, would play the way he did when Fleury went down. My surprise was that the Sabres (and goaltending coach Jim Corsi) seemed pretty eager to work with Conklin and indicated they thought he could be a serviceable backup. That being said, I'm sure the Sabres saw Thibault hit the FA market and saw him as an immediate upgrade to Conklin, whereas Ty was more of a hit-or-miss work-in-progress.

Trading Biron was unavoidable - they simply did not have the cap space to keep a $2M backup on the bench, especially going into a playoff run and they knew Marty wanted to be a starter, so they did what they could to reward a loyal player. Conklin (as noted above) could still be here, but it's understandable that they tried to upgrade the position. It just backfired on them.

I can get behind rooting for Biron, but couldn't care less about Briere. In the words of Scrubs' Dr. Cox - I don't hate Danny, I nothing him. I cheered for him when he was a Sabre but now he is just another faceless douchebag wearing the orange and black.

I <3 Briere. He was one of the most noble and true blue hockey players to step into a Sabres uni ever. He (in my opinion) almost singlehandedly turned that franchise into what it was over the last few years. The moment he came to town things got better. He didn't have the obscene numbers or the nickname of "captain clutch" but he had awesome numbers and did score plenty of clutch goals. He made everyone around him better. He was (my credentials being 27 years of playing and watching and loving hockey) by far the best player on our Sabres team. Head and shoulders above Drury, Vanek, Cambell and the rest.

In other words .. I really appreciate all he did for this franchise. Enough that I'm even willing to cheer for him in orange and black. Remember.. we let him go, he wanted to stay.

GO BIRON AND BRIERE!!!!!

Exactly! But, the sad irony is that Briere doesn't have one bone is his body about being a "good trooper."

The only way this can work out I guess is if a good guy like Marty can take a tool like Briere along with him on his coat tales... Only saving grace... And true it is the Flyers.

In the end, for me that is , it is all about Marty... And in this situation at least the good guy is right alongside the tool... And they are friends and roomies on the road!

There is hope in the world!!! Keep up the good work Marty!

I <3 Briere. He was one of the most noble and true blue hockey players to step into a Sabres uni ever. He (in my opinion) almost singlehandedly turned that franchise into what it was over the last few years. The moment he came to town things got better. He didn't have the obscene numbers or the nickname of "captain clutch" but he had awesome numbers and did score plenty of clutch goals. He made everyone around him better. He was (my credentials being 27 years of playing and watching and loving hockey) by far the best player on our Sabres team. Head and shoulders above Drury, Vanek, Cambell and the rest.

In other words .. I really appreciate all he did for this franchise. Enough that I'm even willing to cheer for him in orange and black. Remember.. we let him go, he wanted to stay.

IMO, we let him go because he is a selfish douche... IMO, he lied... If he loved the organization, he would have took less. I know, I know people say they met him and is a nice guy and all... Like I said above, consolation is that a guy like Marty is his friend!

Yin and the yang.

IMO, we let him go because he is a selfish douche... IMO, he lied... If he loved the organization, he would have took less. I know, I know people say they met him and is a nice guy and all... Like I said above, consolation is that a guy like Marty is his friend!

Yin and the yang.

That's kind of like being a Colts fan, and hating Peyton manning because he gets paid 10th of the teams cap space. After all, if he was really a team player, he would take a small contract so the team would then be able to afford a defense. He would have taken less money to stay with us, but not that much less.

• 2 weeks later...
Boy, Oh boy! I thought that Miller was the real deal and as time showed us all, he isn't. To watch Biron during these playoffs it is nice to see a netminder that will steal one for you. Listening to the national media using words like spectacular and amazing to describe Marty makes me wonder how much longer is Darcy going to keep his job. The butcher's bill is now Biron, Briere, Drury and Cambell, all of which made it to the second season. Now I know that alot of you will say it was our defence that let Miller down but I've reviewed the tapes (Tvo). A large part of the goals he let in were at the worst possible time and were easy stops to make, clear looks at the puck and shooter. The Bills in Toronto, and soon the Sabres somewhere else also. Buffalo what a mess!!!

Its easier to make saves when you are on a good team.