How many CBs can we keep?

Drafting Corner probably means Greer is not resigned after this season. Or maybe McGee is let go or traded after this season. Just hear me out. If all goes to the Bill's plan, McKelvin moves to the starting lineup, probably our number one CB. Next year Corner takes over full-time nickel duties. Greer will have two years of starting experience when his contract is up, and the Bills will be looking at having either McGee or Greer being the fourth cornerback. The Bills will not have a CB making starter money in the 4th CB slot. It would be bad management. Greer is in a tough spot. If he starts this year, he probably prices himself out of resigning with the Bills(unless they pick him to stay and move McGee). If he doesn't start and is dropped down the depth chart this season, he probably doesn't get resigned either. The concept of McGee getting traded after this season sounds crazy until you really look at the situation. But this staff for some reason seems to have very little faith in Greer's abilities. I don't know. The Bills were very down on their cornerback situation and I don't want to just assume that it was all about Youboty.

The CB situation could obviously play out differently because there are many X-factors involved in the situation. Youboty could mature into a no. 2 guy(he has the talent), making both McGee and Greer expendable. Corner or McKelvin progress slowly(certainly a fair possibility). Greer or McGee play so well that the Bills are forced to keep them in the lineup(definitely not out of the question).

• Replies 56
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

All this talk about Jauron being obsessed with DBs seems a little unfair. Yes the Bills drafted Whitner, but they seemed to be in no rush to re-sign Clements or to draft a young replacement last year. Instead they did the whole, well we think that our young guys can step up and that we can sign some retread veteran to fill the void. It didn't work, especially against a team like the Patriots. This year they bring in a potential shut-down corner and bring in a mix of veterans and lower round draft picks to bolster their depth.

And it's not as if the Patriots only have Welker and Moss. They have long been the master of the 5 WR and 4 WR formations that always have been killing us. We need good coverage. I mean, crap, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they figure out how to use Aiken as a 4th or 5th threat.

So you ask:

"How many CBs can we keep?"

If it was up to Jauron, 53.

The first CB taken in the draft went to the Bills. The last CB taken in the draft went to the Bills. If Jauron had had his druthers, all the CBs taken in between would have gone to the Bills.

based on the draft, i expect james and youboty to be fighting for a rpster spot. Cox is unknown because i have been reading that they project him at safety, NOT CB. I see McGee, McKelvin, Greer, and Corner as definite makes, with youboty and James for the final spot. However, it wouldnt surprise me to see the Bills keep 6 CBs and only 3 safeties.

The first CB taken in the draft went to the Bills. The last CB taken in the draft went to the Bills. If Jauron had had his druthers, all the CBs taken in between would have gone to the Bills.

If you let all of your free agents go each year, you might get enough compensatory picks to draft all the corners.

All this talk about Jauron being obsessed with DBs seems a little unfair. Yes the Bills drafted Whitner, but they seemed to be in no rush to re-sign Clements or to draft a young replacement last year. Instead they did the whole, well we think that our young guys can step up and that we can sign some retread veteran to fill the void. It didn't work, especially against a team like the Patriots. This year they bring in a potential shut-down corner and bring in a mix of veterans and lower round draft picks to bolster their depth.

And it's not as if the Patriots only have Welker and Moss. They have long been the master of the 5 WR and 4 WR formations that always have been killing us. We need good coverage. I mean, crap, I actually wouldn't be surprised if they figure out how to use Aiken as a 4th or 5th threat.

It wouldn't surprise me at all to see Aiken have a productive year for them. Still scratching my head as to why he didn't get a shot in games for the Bills.

Very true. If anything, he hasn't drafted enough dbs.

Youboty and Greer are in the final year of their deals. With the cashmoney being thrown at CB's......who we don't re-sign anyf****nways, we had to have enough for next year. We'll keep McLovin, McGee, James, Greer, Youboty, and Corner, and then go fishin for two more agin next year when Greer and Youboty move on.

not sure where you got the idea youboty is in his final year - he signed a 4 year contract so he's locked up through the '09 season

NE won 2 SBs with like 12 dbs on the roster.

ZOMG ONLY HAVE TEH LINEMEN, 13 GUARDS OR MORE!!! ZOMG!!!!

if we have 7 cbs one can double as a back upsafety. once ne lines up 4 or 5 wide for the first time we'll be very happy we "wasted" picks on guys like corner.

it sure would be handy to line up those 7 CB's against those 5 wide sets!! who needs a DL?? :thumbsup:

your claims about NE are a gross exaggeration

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...NE_Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...HI_Gamebook.pdf

it sure would be handy to line up those 7 CB's against those 5 wide sets!! who needs a DL?? :thumbsup:

your claims about NE are a gross exaggeration

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...NE_Gamebook.pdf

http://www.nfl.com/liveupdate/gamecenter/2...HI_Gamebook.pdf

NE had 8 active DBs, a WR they played at DB, and one not active.

that's 10 dbs

us having 7 isn't that many, and we have 8 D line.

ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG AND I AM RIGHT

ADMIT IT.

NE had 8 active DBs, a WR they played at DB, and one not active.

that's 10 dbs

us having 7 isn't that many, and we have 8 D line.

ADMIT YOU ARE WRONG AND I AM RIGHT

ADMIT IT.

simple math - 10 does not equal 12

Since you have to almost consider that teams often use 3 WR's the first three CB's are starters. The nickel package means one more semi-regular. Ellison and Bowen are LB,s that are in on passing downs. And a 'tweener like Wendling may appear in some usage. All 3 may impact on whether we keep 5 or 6 DB's. I seem to note a predisposition to select hybrids.

Since you have to almost consider that teams often use 3 WR's the first three CB's are starters. The nickel package means one more semi-regular. Ellison and Bowen are LB,s that are in on passing downs. And a 'tweener like Wendling may appear in some usage. All 3 may impact on whether we keep 5 or 6 DB's. I seem to note a predisposition to select hybrids.

if poz/crowell/mitchell are healthy ellison and bowen won't see the field save for special teams

Just to throw this into the mix, but maybe the reason we drafted three corners is because the Bills are not happy with their two starters now. Greer and Mcghee were OK at best last year. Neither is a shutdown type corner. I don't think that Greer is dominant in the least. Why is he guaranteed a spot on the roster? Obviously, Terrance is a great kick returner and has some CB skills. But he was beat a lot last year, espcially on the fade pattern by the goal line. (Looked lost on several of those) Next year, possible that Greer and McGhee are no longer on the team. McKelvin and Corner could be our new starters in 2009. With James and Yabouty wild cards at this point, as to what they can bring to the team. Remember, an NFL roster is always fluid. It never stays the same from year to year.

simple math - 10 does not equal 12

i said LIKE 12 dbs, which clearly means similar to but not exactly.

also, you called my claim a gross exaggeration, which is gross in itself.

lastly, your terrible initial post was in response to me saying that we could keep 7 cbs if one or two can double as a safety. clearly we can as that will not preclude having enough D linemen.

admit you are wrong and i am right.