$58 million... WHAT?!?!

Got_Wood

Yes Jake Long is the #1 pick, and he might very well be great. But to pay over $10 mil a year for a rookie who's never played a down in the NFL is ABSURD.

I would be pissed off if I were a veteran in this league. I hope they plan on revising the salary scale sometime soon.

Jesus h. Agents and lawyers are destroying this country.

Here we are talking about STRETCHING to pay Lee Evans $7 mil a season, and some rookie lineman with "potential" comes in and makes more than Lee ever will before setting foot on the field.

That makes ZERO sense to me.

It would be nice if the NFL could put in place a standardized rookie draft pick pay scale like the NBA has.

Of course, the trade-off would have to be that rookie contracts would have to be much shorter(3 years in the NBA) allowing players to become unrestricted free agents sooner.

But in such a violent sport as football, the players association would block any attempt to put a system like this in place.

I agree with your sentiment, though. Its crazy that blockbuster contracts in 2005 have become undervalued contracts in just three years(Urlacher and Chad Johnson situations) because of rookie deals like this.

I guess NFL = USA now?

capitalism... and the NFL is goood example on how capitalism is going to run itself down to the ground if we keep stretching it the way we are.

CEO's get paid stoopis money and rewarded for drivnig a corporation into the ground... just as stoopid..

how about a salary cap for corporate america and a vet minimum for the workers !!!

capitalism... and the NFL is goood example on how capitalism is going to run itself down to the ground if we keep stretching it the way we are.

CEO's get paid stoopis money and rewarded for drivnig a corporation into the ground... just as stoopid..

how about a salary cap for corporate america and a vet minimum for the workers !!!

:D:lol: :lol:

I have a tough time seeing the NFL as the model of Capitalism.

"In a higher phase of communist society, after the enslaving subordination of the individual to the division of labor, and therewith also the antithesis between mental and physical labor, has vanished; after labor has become not only a means of life but life's prime want; after the productive forces have also increased with the all-around development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth flow more abundantly -- only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

:D

"In a higher phase of communist society, after the enslaving subordination of the individual to the division of labor, and therewith also the antithesis between mental and physical labor, has vanished; after labor has become not only a means of life but life's prime want; after the productive forces have also increased with the all-around development of the individual, and all the springs of co-operative wealth flow more abundantly -- only then can the narrow horizon of bourgeois right be crossed in its entirety and society inscribe on its banners: From each according to his ability, to each according to his needs!

:D

wow, that's a really really long sentence.

wow, that's a really really long sentence.

Marx was seriously f**ked up. He didn't have to make sense; only sentences. The left lapped this up like mother's milk. Nothings changed.

Well, I wasn't trying to get into the whole capitalism and "where is our society headed" conversation. But point taken.

If we keep heading in this direction as a country, by 2020 the average american is on course to pay $1 mil for a 1 bedroom apartment, $10/gallon of gas, $1,000/month car payment, $1,000/month cable bill, $500/month insurance, $300 per trip to the grocery store, and $15 for a pint of beer.

I'm grabbing my fishing pole, a tent, and a gun and moving to Montana.

It would be nice if the NFL could put in place a standardized rookie draft pick pay scale like the NBA has.

Of course, the trade-off would have to be that rookie contracts would have to be much shorter(3 years in the NBA) allowing players to become unrestricted free agents sooner.

But in such a violent sport as football, the players association would block any attempt to put a system like this in place.

I agree with your sentiment, though. Its crazy that blockbuster contracts in 2005 have become undervalued contracts in just three years(Urlacher and Chad Johnson situations) because of rookie deals like this.

Maybe we could see some sort of balance between lower salaries and less guaranteed money for bigger incentives and one year earlier at FA?

Well, I wasn't trying to get into the whole capitalism and "where is our society headed" conversation. But point taken.

If we keep heading in this direction as a country, by 2020 the average american is on course to pay $1 mil for a 1 bedroom apartment, $10/gallon of gas, $1,000/month car payment, $1,000/month cable bill, $500/month insurance, $300 per trip to the grocery store, and $15 for a pint of beer.

I'm grabbing my fishing pole, a tent, and a gun and moving to Montana.

Car payment as much as cable??? Insurance at $500/mo is low now if you take into account ALL the insurance a person "has to have"...That Montana thing sounds awful good.

Unfortunately this isn't new new. Rookies have been getting ridiculous contracts for a while now.

I wish the NFL and the NFLPA would put a limit on rookie contracts in their CBA. I know it's a pipe dream, but dude, these guys haven't proven ANYTHING. And most of them are busts anyway!

Unfortunately this isn't new new. Rookies have been getting ridiculous contracts for a while now.

I wish the NFL and the NFLPA would put a limit on rookie contracts in their CBA. I know it's a pipe dream, but dude, these guys haven't proven ANYTHING. And most of them are busts anyway!

I don't think it's a pipe dream. The NFLPA could go for that since it will not affect any current player. They can "screw" the rookies to save their own butts.

I don't think it's a pipe dream. The NFLPA could go for that since it will not affect any current player. They can "screw" the rookies to save their own butts.

Technically it's good for the NFLPA because they can continue to justify higher salary demands based on rookie contracts being more than their own. In the end greed wins again.

Technically it's good for the NFLPA because they can continue to justify higher salary demands based on rookie contracts being more than their own. In the end greed wins again.

Kinda why owners are not so afraid of an uncapped year. Not sure of all the specifics, but this out of whack system for rookies gets a beat down if the union decertifies, or so i think.