So Miami leak was a lie

And a lie which wasn't even part of negotiations to get their guy according to Dolphins:

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/draft08/news/story?id=3358424

"Jake was our guy from the beginning," general manager Jeff Ireland said. "Jake Long was on the top of our board for a long time. There wasn't a whole lot of debate. We thought it was a very good fit with the Miami Dolphins."

The Dolphins said they didn't begin contract talks with potential picks other than Long.

"It was a very straightforward negotiation," Condon said. "They didn't leverage us with other players, and we didn't tell them we wanted to be on some different team or any of those kinds of things."

If you are a member of the press and fell for the "leak" don't you feel so used?

Is Jake Long going to be thet starting LT? I've read articles that say he would be better on the right side in the Pros and he may struggle with speed on the left side. I don't know how good Carey is on the left side, but just wasn't sure if Jake Long was a LOCK to start at LT.

Good sign here too, is, that the price has dropped for #1 has dropped 4 mil.

So what... why even wait until the draft? Rams, you're on the clock!

The money didnt really drop because Long signed a 5 yr deal instead of the 6yr that most #1s sign.

Is Jake Long going to be thet starting LT? I've read articles that say he would be better on the right side in the Pros and he may struggle with speed on the left side. I don't know how good Carey is on the left side, but just wasn't sure if Jake Long was a LOCK to start at LT.

If you're drafting a guy like Jake Long #1 overall, you're starting him at LT.....period.

Actually, they can.

Reports I have heard are that they cannot at this time(above board at least). The league is thinking it over and will let them know sometime today.

Personally I don't see how they can stop them in 'good conscience' after the phins have their pick sign sealed and delivered. But what the heck do I know? The league doesn't want THE NFL DRAFT to become watered down, losing some of its intrigue etc.

Personally I don't see how they can stop them in 'good conscience' after the phins have their pick sign sealed and delivered. But what the heck do I know? The league doesn't want THE NFL DRAFT to become watered down, losing some of its intrigue etc.

Typical NFL idiocy. Better to have the first pick hold out for all the training camp and never see the field than to 'spoil the surprise' on draft day. ;)

There is no reason at all why any team shouldn't be free to negotiate with any player before the draft (other than the obvious waste of time if the team doesn't get the player). If the Felons were free to negotiate with Long, than the Rams should also be free to talk with #2.

PFT.com posted something saying that the NFL muckety-mucks are discussing the idea of ALLOWING the #2 team to negotiate with players since the Fish have already got their guy. As of now, the Rams aren't allowed, but this might prompt a change in the rule. I hope so. If they know who they want, they should be allowed to start working on a deal ASAP.

PFT.com posted something saying that the NFL muckety-mucks are discussing the idea of ALLOWING the #2 team to negotiate with players since the Fish have already got their guy. As of now, the Rams aren't allowed, but this might prompt a change in the rule. I hope so. If they know who they want, they should be allowed to start working on a deal ASAP.

The league just denied it.