Kelly runs another bad forty time today

Malcolm Kelly....Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly ran another disapointing forty time this morning...Kelly was timed at 4.65 in the forty on what is considered to be a very fast astro-turf type surface at Oklahoma...the New York Giants and the Green Bay Packers were the only teams to send representatives to see his workout. :lol:

link:

http://www.eastcoastsportsnews.com/2008draftnews.html

Malcolm Kelly....Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly ran another dissapointing forty time this morning...Kelly was timed at 4.65 in the forty on what is considered to be a very fast astro-turf type surface at Oklahoma...the New York Giants and the Green Bay Packers were the only teams to send representatives to see his workout. :lol:

link:

lol. What drama.

This guy is a huge boom or bust pick. I'll pass.

blah to the kelly news (he's looking like a good pick........in the 3rd) but that link did contain some nice tidbits

Al's Draft Scoop...Buffalo Bills - The Bills could be looking to move down in the first round of the draft, unless Florida DE Derrick Harvey is still on the board...if Harvey is available, the Bills could surprise their fans with his selection and target a big wide receiver like Jordy Nelson with their second round pick...Nelson's stock is rising to the point where he's going to be targeted by teams like the Broncos, Redskins, Eagles, Bucs and Cowboys in the second round of the draft... Another player to keep an eye on as a potential Bills draft selection is Oklahoma CB Reggie Smith...Smith isn't a burner since he has 4.6 speed, but he's a big, physical corner, and a solid run support man, which is just the type of corner the Bills are looking for to fit their cover 2 scheme...plus Bills director of scouting Tom Modrak was present for Reggie Smith's workout, since it was held together on the same day with teammate Malcolm Kelly's workout.

Malcolm Kelly....Oklahoma WR Malcolm Kelly ran another disapointing forty time this morning...Kelly was timed at 4.65 in the forty on what is considered to be a very fast astro-turf type surface at Oklahoma...the New York Giants and the Green Bay Packers were the only teams to send representatives to see his workout. :lol:

link:

If he's still around at 41 and we pick a DE or CB with our first pick, I would strongly consider drafting him with our 2nd round pick.

After all of the bitching and moaning and blaming other people, this is pretty funny. I wonder what his excuse is now.

I recall listening to him on Sirius prior to his first "pro day" trying to explain why he had to delay it. He did not sound particularly convincing to me then. I remember being surpised because he supposedly was such a "quality" kid based on what Chip Smith had previously said.

Oh well. I wonder if this guy was always this slow or his times are the result of his injuries.

In any event, this is good news. He had no business being chosen at 11. If we can get him later in the draft as a value pick, that would be great. I suppose that will depend on how the Bills evaluate his "football" speed and skills as opposed to his straight line speed.

I don't care what his 40 is.

If the tape of him, which is most important, shows he can play football, and it does, who cares?

Your success in football isn't determined by how fast you run 40 yards, in a straight line, in shorts.

If he's still around at 41 and we pick a DE or CB with our first pick, I would strongly consider drafting him with our 2nd round pick.

You can almost see a Thurman Thomas situation developing (if Kelly wasn't such a whiner).

If he can play at the next level, just think of the massive chip he'd be carrying for motivation each week.

You can almost see a Thurman Thomas situation developing (if Kelly wasn't such a whiner).

If he can play at the next level, just think of the massive chip he'd be carrying for motivation each week.

The only thing I find amusing is the same people ripping him here when we pick him in the second round will be his biggest supporters. That is until he has a breakout year, whines about his contract... Does not get paid and leaves. When we will promptly rip him to shreads and wonder why it has been 12 years since we made the playoffs.....

If the tape of him, which is most important, shows he can play football, and it does, who cares?

Your success in football isn't determined by how fast you run 40 yards, in a straight line, in shorts.

:lol: :lol: :lol::thumbsup::beer:

I really blame the agent for this whole garbage. The kid is what, 21 years old? I think he got caught up in the media baloney - which to the scouts really doesn't matter - and ends up looking ridiculous because he thinks what people say on ESPN actually matters. The agent should have kept his expectations grounded and made the focus the strengths of his game rather than this whole sideshow about tenths of seconds on a track.

The only thing I find amusing is the same people ripping him here when we pick him in the second round will be his biggest supporters. That is until he has a breakout year, whines about his contract... Does not get paid and leaves. When we will promptly rip him to shreads and wonder why it has been 12 years since we made the playoffs.....

It's all Luvale Sape's fault.

I was about to post that somebody will still want to draft him despite all the negative rep. Hype dies hard.

PTR

Okay so his 40 time doesn't mean a whole lot to you but neither should his tape. Good tape against college caliber CB's don't always translate to the NFL. Thats where his 40 time comes in. His 40 time will translate to the NFL. I think you need a good combo of tape and combine numbers. The whole idea that the 40 time means nothing is ridiculous. If it means nothing then why do they even keep time on college players or any players for that matter?

The reason they have these events i.e 40, vert jump and such is so they can take the guys skill level and try to match it up to the next level of athletes. Malcolm Kelly's highlights are good but he doesn't always show seperation and that's at the college level! Do you think he'll have great success against the Deangelo Halls and Champ Baily's when he's running a 4.7? Oh wait I forgot he did it on film against

Washington St. so He'll be fine.

I really do mean this post with all due respect I'm just tired of the false idea that 40 time means nothing. We are not professional scouts and we pretend that the ones who get paid for this are morons because we don't agree.

If we're so smart how come our best ideas are on a message board and not in front of Russ Brandon?

Okay so his 40 time doesn't mean a whole lot to you but neither should his tape. Good tape against college caliber CB's don't always translate to the NFL. Thats where his 40 time comes in. His 40 time will translate to the NFL. I think you need a good combo of tape and combine numbers. The whole idea that the 40 time means nothing is ridiculous. If it means nothing then why do they even keep time on college players or any players for that matter?

The reason they have these events i.e 40, vert jump and such is so they can take the guys skill level and try to match it up to the next level of athletes. Malcolm Kelly's highlights are good but he doesn't always show seperation and that's at the college level! Do you think he'll have great success against the Deangelo Halls and Champ Baily's when he's running a 4.7? Oh wait I forgot he did it on film against

Washington St. so He'll be fine.

I really do mean this post with all due respect I'm just tired of the false idea that 40 time means nothing. We are not professional scouts and we pretend that the ones who get paid for this are morons because we don't agree.

If we're so smart how come our best ideas are on a message board and not in front of Russ Brandon?

A receiver's savvy, separation, and hands will be paramount in beating elite corners, not running .2 seconds faster or slower in a 40.

Gimme a receiver who can make the first 6-8 steps of every route look the same way than a receiver who can run a 4.2

A receiver's savvy, separation, and hands will be paramount in beating elite corners, not running .2 seconds faster or slower in a 40.

Gimme a receiver who can make the first 6-8 steps of every route look the same way than a receiver who can run a 4.2

Right but at the same time just because Kelly is pretty good at those things and not great then speed is a factor for him. Kelly was a mid first round WR at best when people thought he could run a 4.5 but he has dropped because of those .02 sec. He didn't drop because he got any worse at coming off the line He dropped because coming off the line really well will only get you so far unless you have an elite or exceptional set of hands, size and amazing route running. That combination is rare and while Kelly has good hands and good size that's about where it ends for him. If he had shown that he could run faster then thought well, then we might have something. The guy reminds me of Dewayne Jarrett, If Jarett was a little slower.