Wacka

• Replies 41
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

When will people open their eye's :w00t:

71257[/snapback]

Don't worry. If Kerry were to be elected, he will just blame it on the Republican Congress. He is good at blaming others for his mistakes. (Funny, that is one of the same criticisms liberals have of Bush. It is also funny, that they do not seem to have a problem when it involves their candidate, just when it is the opposing candidate. Ironic.)

Let me guess, the Kerry supporters are going to be shockingly quiet in this thread.

71245[/snapback]

No, I'm sure they'll eventually come up with some "Well, look at how bad BUSH is...Flightsuit! Nose picking! Goat story!" nonsense.

It amazes me that people don't see this about Kerry. It's what turned me off to his campaign two months ago (when I heard him say the key to a healthy economy was middle-class tax breaks, AND the key to job growth was middle-class tax INCREASES...on the same day to two different crowds.) I question Bush's judgement...but I question Kerry's integrity, and I'll take bad judgement over no integrity any day of the week.

Rush Limbaugh (instant credibility with the libs :doh: ) mentioned on the show today that Bush is pulling ahead in the Zogby poll and that Zogby credits his momentum to the 18-29 demographic. In response, Kerry came out today and claimed that if Bush is re-elected he will reinstitute the draft. :blink:

Rush Limbaugh (instant credibility with the libs :doh: ) mentioned on the show today that Bush is pulling ahead in the Zogby poll and that Zogby credits his momentum to the 18-29 demographic.  In response, Kerry came out today and claimed that if Bush is re-elected he will reinstitute the draft.  :blink:

71299[/snapback]

The sad part is, is that idiots are actually buying into the crap that Bush wants to reinstitute the draft. Who was the one proposing the legislation in Congress, to reinstitute the draft? (Hint: they have a D after their name)

OK I'll bite. Sure it is pandering to say that if they are elected people will walk again. It is a misrepresentation of the facts. They should not have said it. I wish politician would just say, we believe stem cell research should be backed by our goverment in hopes that we can cure certain physical problems.

Both sides have taken reasonable stances on issues and spun them into untruths. We could go on and on about how the Bush campaign has done the same thing. In fact that is what most of the redundant chat on this board revolves around. It is a lot of what the canidates did in the debates.

Speaking of doing anything to get elected what do you think about this story. It is just coming out and I don't know if it is true but the implications are big.

http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2004/10/14/...ain649380.shtml

Any thoughts on this issue.

No, I'm sure they'll eventually come up with some "Well, look at how bad BUSH is...Flightsuit!  Nose picking!  Goat story!" nonsense. 

It amazes me that people don't see this about Kerry.  It's what turned me off to his campaign two months ago (when I heard him say the key to a healthy economy was middle-class tax breaks, AND the key to job growth was middle-class tax INCREASES...on the same day to two different crowds.)  I question Bush's judgement...but I question Kerry's integrity, and I'll take bad judgement over no integrity any day of the week.

71270[/snapback]

Tom, if the point is that politicians make ridiculous promises in campaigns, you won't get an argument from me. Apparently you don't seem to think Bush is making ridiculous claims? If so, I disagree. If integrity is the issue, I can't imagine why you like Bush. I never thought he was very bright, I had hoped he had some integrity. I am thoroughly convinced that in fact, he has no integrity. None. I wish there were a better candidate but I don't see that there is so...the choice is easy.

I have heard what Kerry has said about stem cell research and it is the same thing Reagan's kid has said and Nancy too. How else would you deal with nascent research? How much success would you get in terms of funding if you billed it as a lots-of-luck, pie-in-the-sky pipe dream? Not much. Instead you empahsize what it could do, the hope it represents no matter how faint that hope might be. That is the same way the moon shot was sold and just about evey other space mission. It is not pandering so much as it is rallying support for something new and promising. I wouldn't sell short the people who are sick and hoping that this kind of research will offer a benefit to them. It just may be that they know exactly the state of this research and what is realisitc and what isn't without being told what they can hope for and what they can't by someone else.

They're busy talking about drool and gloating over their (hopes for) victory.

71263[/snapback]

The drool effect was replete with smiley faces but I should have known that you can't take a joke. After all, I am sure you were just as upset when the board was awash in jokes about Kerry's orange tan, weren't you? If you can't laugh at these guys, even the one you support, you can't laugh at anything.

Tom, if the point is that politicians make ridiculous promises in campaigns, you won't get an argument from me.  Apparently you don't seem to think Bush is making ridiculous claims?  If so, I disagree.  If integrity is the issue, I can't imagine why you like Bush.  I never thought he was very bright, I had hoped he had some integrity.  I am thoroughly convinced that in fact, he has no integrity.  None.  I wish there were a better candidate but I don't see that there is so...the choice is easy.

I have heard what Kerry has said about stem cell research and it is the same thing Reagan's kid has said and Nancy too.  How else would you deal with nascent research?  How much success would you get in terms of funding if you billed it as a lots-of-luck, pie-in-the-sky pipe dream?  Not much.  Instead you empahsize what it could do, the hope it represents no matter how faint that hope might be.  That is the same way the moon shot was sold and just about evey other space mission.  It is not pandering so much as it is rallying support for something new and promising.  I wouldn't sell short the people who are sick and hoping that this kind of research will offer a benefit to them.  It just may be that they know exactly the state of this research and what is realisitc and what isn't without being told what they can hope for and what they can't by someone else.

71518[/snapback]

Thankfully Mr. Kerry has proposed meaningful stem cell legislation during his 19 years as a Senator. Unfortunately, it has always been voted down by the evil and vicious right wing radikals. [/sarcasm]

Anything to get elected

Interesting column today by Charles Krauthammer. He is on a PBS show about politics.

He has been a parapelgic since his 20's when he was injured diving in a pool.

71186[/snapback]

With all due respect to Mr. Krauthammer, he has not cornered the marked on wisdom when it comes to stem cell research. For example, in the article of his you linked, he states that "the inability of the human spinal cord to regenerate is one of the great mysteries of biology" as support for his position that Edwards and Kerry were raising false hope when it comes to stem cell research and treating spinal cord injuries. In fact, the National Institute of Health states otherwise: "[the] dogma that brain tissue could not be regenerated is history. In the mid-1990s, neuroscientists learned that some parts of the adult human brain do, in fact, generate new neurons...Moreover, they found that the new neurons arise from "neural stem cells" in the fetal as well as the adult brain. These undifferentiated cells resemble cells in a developing fetus that give rise to the brain and spinal cord." Further, a study at Johns Hopkins is also discussed in the article:

"Researchers at Johns Hopkins University recently reported preliminary evidence that cells derived from embryonic stem cells can restore movement in an animal model of amyotrophic lateral sclerosis (ALS) ... The response was impressive. Three months after the injections, many of the treated rats were able to move their hind limbs and walk, albeit clumsily, while the rats that did not receive cell injections remained paralyzed. "

To read the article yourself or to get more information than you ever wanted in your life on this subject, go to: NIH on Stem Cell Research

Reach your own conclusions.