Schopp & Bulldog fanning the flames

Are you telling me you dont see what message Ralph has arranged? It is still the rivalry. He wants everyone to know or get the point that it is now between the Tronto Bills and the Fish. Get used to it, and get on the wagon now.

Wagon? If the Bills ever leave Buffalo, I'm through with the NFL.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Again, they already sold it. maybe down the road it needs to be a decent game, but this year, for the first regular season game in Canada, it was selling out regardless.

It's a matter of degree. Now Ted Rogers doesn't have to squeeze as many arms to buy up tickets to ensure his "guaranteed sellout!" Those 100,000 fans who've signed up for the right to buy tickets remind me of the subprime mortgage market, BTW.

how do you move a DIVISION game to a venue where you lose your home-field advantage (not to mention the dome factor which makes a HUGE difference given the way Miami usually plays in bad weather in the Ralph.)

Simple, we're playing a JV team. If the Fins beat the Bills anywhere on the globe, then this team isn't as good as people think.

Simple, we're playing a JV team. If the Fins beat the Bills anywhere on the globe, then this team isn't as good as people think.

I DON'T think thsi team is all that great ... again, that's kind of my point. Are we really at the point where we can say "Eh, we're SO much better that we can give up a divisional home game against a warm-weather opponent in December"??? I don't think so ... every game is going to be huge if this team wants to get into the playoffs, just like last season.

You nailed it. Gave up my seasons 2 years ago, but this is always the game I go to.

It's a division game, which will now have a more neutral crowd, and in different elements. Many fans make trips up to Buffalo just for the Miami game.

I agree. It's a 7 hour drive for me and I come in full force every year with my family & friends. It's not the same. Squish the fish, eh!

For those saying the Miami rivalry has cooled, have any of you (besides PTR) been in the parking lot at a Bills-Dolphins game lately?

I'm not thrilled about the move, but I'm not digging the torches and pitchforks out of storage. Besides, I'll probably be at that game anyway...

I agree, I just don't know about "the list" that the season ticket holders were put on. I want to go to the game, but I have no faith that I'm going to get a chance to buy tickets to that game.

I DON'T think thsi team is all that great ... again, that's kind of my point. Are we really at the point where we can say "Eh, we're SO much better that we can give up a divisional home game against a warm-weather opponent in December"??? I don't think so ... every game is going to be huge if this team wants to get into the playoffs, just like last season.

You'd don't think the Bills are gonna be jacked to be playing in a internationally significant game? They'll show up fine...

Should I expect any less from WGR? They are taking the most meaningless thing and are turning it into a reason for a riot at City Hall! I'm hearing fans saying how they are going to burn their season tickets over this. Jezzuzzz Effin' Kee-rist!

PTR

I'm going to take a lot of crap for saying this, but half of the time I think that Buffalo sports fans just need something to be mad about. Toronto, Darcy, Drury, headsets, and so on and so forth. It's not like they moved the game to Germany; the stands are going to be full of Bills fans. I don't have GR here at the office, but I'm sure their poking the sleeping dog. I've heard that happen a dozen times. Everyone that calls in ranting and raving sounds childish.

I do find it a bit odd that it's a division game, but so what? Honestly?

With FA and the revolving door of players it's caused, I'm not so sure the weather is always on our side (i.e. Trent Edwards last season).

I honestly thought it would be a NE game, but the fish make sense too. The rivalry angle adds to the back story. I'm sure they had Dolphins approval for this long before they announced the 100k ticket queue. This was probably designed to sell tickets.

Edit: I do understand why it upsets some. I just don't see it as that big of a deal. Most of that is probably due to the fact that since I live 1000 miles South now, every game is a TV game for me. Really does suck to lose the event itself and the atmosphere it brings, though... =(

If we're not good enough to play competitive football in a neutral location (which will be very VERY biased in our favor) we can kiss our ass goodbye on Wildcard Weekend. I can think of another game which is also in a neutral setting...

The Miami game actually makes the most sense once you get past the "OMFG - the Bills are playing a home game in Toronto" factor, which should have settled in by now.

1. We see them every year. Why pass up a chance to have another non-regular visiting team come to the Ralph. The 49's might not be back for another 8 years(?).

2. The sales have been poor. So why not let this one go from a sales standpoint?

3. They are the weakest team on our schedule, therefore the likelihood of it having a significant impact on our W/L record due to location is probably mitigated.

I don't think people are overreacting.

There is a sizeable contingent of Bills fans who say, if we have to suck, lets be 2-14, with both wins over Miami and get a good draft pick. Then its a successful season.

Not sure how much time you spent living in WNY, but the Miami game is THE rivalry. The game that people get up for more than any other. Squish the fish, Bryan "Sucks" Cox, 0-for the 70s, Kelly vs. Marino showdowns, Miami is the game.

COld weather? Our guys have to learn how to play in it and it has always been a decided advantage for the Bills. In fact, one of the most entertaining games I ever attended was the Snow Bowl back in 2003, Bills vs. Dolphins. Neither of us were world beaters, but it was a helluva game, enhanced by the rivalry.

Point is, they could have given TOR any game but this one, this one has special meaning for many Bills fans.

Also (and I'm not joking here), how will Miami get all their players in the country? They have multiple players with misdeameanor/felony convictions and DWIs. What will Miami have to do...leave half its roster at home?

Not a big deal I grew up in the winless vs Miami 70's I don't have the hate I once did for them only because the Pats are now the evil empire,under Parcells that hate could quickly return for the Fins until then lets relax. And as far as B word and the Bulldog go call up and say Drury and Briere Drury and Brier Drury and Briere then throw in A Cambell thats should put them on the defensive.

From where I sit, this is a good thing. It is often very hard for out of town fans to go to a game on December 14, and I suspect (this is a mere hunch) that the Bills rely more on out of town fans than do most teams.

Seriously....look at the screen names on TSW. Look at the profiles. Relocated Bills Fans as well as people like me buy tickets and help support this football team. Some are far away and even have season tickets.

The way this went down, I think that the other games will sell out faster. If they would have scheduled a game in September or October in Toronto, I would have been pissed.

Forgive me if I sound greedy, but from where I sit it is all good.

From where I sit, this is a good thing. It is often very hard for out of town fans to go to a game on December 14, and I suspect (this is a mere hunch) that the Bills rely more on out of town fans than do most teams.

Seriously....look at the screen names on TSW. Look at the profiles. Relocated Bills Fans as well as people like me buy tickets and help support this football team. Some are far away and even have season tickets.

The way this went down, I think that the other games will sell out faster. If they would have scheduled a game in September or October in Toronto, I would have been pissed.

Forgive me if I sound greedy, but from where I sit it is all good.

Bill, we already knew the date within a couple of weeks; it was always going to be after the Grey Cup, which falls the Sunday before Thanksgiving this season.

We didn't know it was going to be a divisional game, one against a long-hated rival that has a recent tradition of curling up and dying in the snows of Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Someone above mentioned San Fran, and how they wouldn't be back for eight more years. My thoughts? I wouldn't lose sleep over NOT seeing Alex Smith, Frank Gore, and an aging Isaac Bruce. Not like the last time they were here, the only game I ever got to see Steve Young play. Same with Seattle: they're worlds better than the Fins, but that was the game I hoped would be picked, because I don't have feelings one way or the other about that team.

Those out-of-town fans don't normally come "home" for games against Seattle and San Fran, unless there are other things going on. (Family, for example.) On the other hand, Lot 1 is like a family reunion for the Miami game.

So, yeah, this stings a little.

Those out-of-town fans don't normally come "home" for games against Seattle and San Fran, unless there are other things going on. (Family, for example.) On the other hand, Lot 1 is like a family reunion for the Miami game.

Wow, I disagree with you (at the very least partially) and I am admittedly not comfortable doing so. <_<:worthy:

Lori, I for one (I did say 1 mind you) truly don't care what team I see. Teams who I have never seen before at RWS get an edge. That's it.

I have been to 1/5 for 2 Miami games. One was my very first Bills game (in 94 or so), the other I partied with you as I recall. Imo, every time I go to 1/5 it is like a family reunion. Seriously, that is a big portion of why I am a Bills Fan. It certainly isn't about the w/l record, or the dumb drafts. Speaking of w/l, all of the games will sell faster if we could simply win.

The decision to play a game in Toronto was made. I don't like this per se, but it is out of my hands. Miami is a divisional rival but again, imo, this whole thing is about the Bills making enough money to stay in WNY.

I guess what I am trying to say is that it really isn't so bad, when a bunch of factors (including cheaper season tickets) are taken into account.

The above is simply my opinion, and I am not trying to sway anybody.

Bill, we already knew the date within a couple of weeks; it was always going to be after the Grey Cup, which falls the Sunday before Thanksgiving this season.

We didn't know it was going to be a divisional game, one against a long-hated rival that has a recent tradition of curling up and dying in the snows of Rich/Ralph Wilson Stadium.

Someone above mentioned San Fran, and how they wouldn't be back for eight more years. My thoughts? I wouldn't lose sleep over NOT seeing Alex Smith, Frank Gore, and an aging Isaac Bruce. Not like the last time they were here, the only game I ever got to see Steve Young play. Same with Seattle: they're worlds better than the Fins, but that was the game I hoped would be picked, because I don't have feelings one way or the other about that team.

Amen, it stings...a lot. Miami is one of the games I go to every year. I haven't missed a Miami game since 87, and have gone to both of them a few years.

Giving the Bills biggest rivalry game to Toronto is like a real kick in the nuts.

Here is my guess......the NFL had 2 weekends reserved, the 7th and the 14th, and nobody had a quality beat on the team involved.

There is a good chance that the 100,000 reported this week is VERY INFLATED, as nobody needs to put down a penny as of yet. Behind the scenes it might be setting up that there was real worry if they were able to sell tickets. If it was a slam dunk, they might have thrown the 49ers to the wolves. In reality, it is quite possible that the Rodgers/Wilson duo is going to have to court the Buffalo Bills season ticket holders to buy the package. The Bills know Miami is always a big out of town draw for Bills fans, and they decided that the Toronto venture is too big to fail, so they hedged their bets by putting Miami up in order to get a sellout.

The ticket sales can happen quietly to season ticket holders, and the general public will never know that this was almost a disaster. We should find out soon. If Bills season ticket holders start to get mass mailings to buy Toronto tickets, then that is the case. If not, it was just poor foresight and a slap in the face to Bills fans.

To expand on that thought........the Sabres had a 5,000+ person waiting list for season tickets going into last season. When the Sabres required $100 to fortify your place on the list, the list shrunk to 500.

If you use that sort of model, you can see that there might only be half of a stadium at best filled at this point.

So don't you go to those BB Booster Club meetings at the Ralph? Bring it up. I mean, seriously, what in the hell does a NFL team need a booster club for anyway? Get something out of it. I agree with you. So, the next time you go to one of those, and if anyone of any kind of consequence is there, put em on the spot and tell em how you feel in a close setting. It isn't going to accomplish much, but put em on the spot.

The one thing I hate as a season ticket holder living in Virginia, is that, it seems there is no fight in anyone that the Bills are playing in Toronto. It's really crappy. Now, they take Pittsburgh, about the only team in the NFL who could make a pre-season game even remotely interesting away, and now the Phins. The people who are ok with all of this, are pretty prideless, IMO.

Big brother is swooping in and stealing 2 of only 10 major events that happen in a struggling city per year.

That, to me, is a slap in the face. What I hate is that I've never lived in Buffalo, have no ties to the city in terms of relatives or schooling etc, but it seems like I have more pride and fight for the city than a alot of people who live there.

START WITH THE NEXT ELECTION. Go and vote for change. Not like that will work either, but damn. Try to change the direction of the city. PLEASE! Buffalo is so close to becoming Toledo, Ohio. I just hope it never happens.

If Miami is 1-10 (I am assuming they will have beat someone) they game would probably not sell out anyways. The last few Miami games I have been at late in season have been under attended. Probably be a lot less arrests too than if a different game was scheduled.

What the idiots on WGR ought to be do is organizing hunger strikes. They could use a lot less fat headed announcers and listeners.

If Miami is 1-10 (I am assuming they will have beat someone) they game would probably not sell out anyways. The last few Miami games I have been at late in season have been under attended. Probably be a lot less arrests too than if a different game was scheduled.

What the idiots on WGR ought to be do is organizing hunger strikes. They could use a lot less fat headed announcers and listeners.

As devils advocate, if the Bills were actually 7-4 once more than every 8 years (and counting), the game would sell out in a heartbeat in Orchard Park at twice the cost of what the tickets cost now.