Ethanol is Kewl

What a crock. If they have enough energy to riot than clearly they are getting plenty of food.

Let them eat cake?

Ethanol has been a crock of a boodoggle from jump. The best use of corn (after pop- and on-the-cob) was well explored in that Omnivore's Dilemna book that gave the etymology of cornhole.

Let them eat cake?

Ethanol has been a crock of a boodoggle from jump. The best use of corn (after pop- and on-the-cob) was well explored in that Omnivore's Dilemna book that gave the etymology of cornhole.

Indeed, OD was a great book.

Ethanol supporters maintain that any increase caused by biofuels is relatively small and that energy costs and soaring demand for meat in developing countries have had a greater impact. “There’s no question that they are a factor, but they are really a smaller factor than other things that are driving up prices,” said Ron Litterer, an Iowa farmer who is president of the National Corn Growers Association.

He said biofuels were an “easy culprit to blame” because their popularity had grown so rapidly in the last two or three years.

Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, called the recent criticism of ethanol by foreign officials “a big joke.” He questioned why they were not also blaming a drought in Australia that reduced the wheat crop and the growing demand for meat in China and India.

“You make ethanol out of corn,” he said. “I bet if I set a bushel of corn in front of any of those delegates, not one of them would eat it.” :wallbash:

The senator’s comments reflect a political reality in Washington that despite the criticism from abroad, support for ethanol remains solid.

Representative Jim McGovern, Democrat of Massachusetts, said he had come to realize that Congress made a mistake in backing biofuels, not anticipating the impact on food costs. He said Congress needed to reconsider its policy, though he acknowledged that would be difficult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/business...l?th&emc=th

What is interesting about this whole debate, and I am sure it has been said before on this board, corn is not the most efficient source of bio-fuels. In fact, it is known that corn takes a considerable amount of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides to produce it efficiently.

UMass and other universities are doing quite a bit of research on bacteria eating and bio-fuel generating research and it turns out bio-waste produce oils in greater amounts that are of higher quality. From what I understand controlling the bacteria and the fuel formulation for mass production and use in combustion engine's has not totally been solved.

Not sure I understand all of the hang-ups, but I do know that Microsoft is aggressively working on software to control the fuel injection systems in order to solve some of these problems and hiring talent bio-chemist/engineer/computer geek types to help them.

What is interesting about this whole debate, and I am sure it has been said before on this board, corn is not the most efficient source of bio-fuels. In fact, it is known that corn takes a considerable amount of petroleum based fertilizers and pesticides to produce it efficiently.

I don't think there's a soul here who supports the corn subsidies that drive the corn ethanol.

From the above link:

Former President Clinton, at a campaign stop for his wife in Pennsylvania over the weekend, said, "Corn is the single most inefficient way to produce ethanol because it uses a lot of energy and because it drives up the price of food."

Sometimes I suspect that Bill wants Hillary to lose. Even if she wins the nomination, this comment could hurt her in many states, and they all matter now.

He said biofuels were an “easy culprit to blame” because their popularity had grown so rapidly in the last two or three years.

Senator Charles E. Grassley, Republican of Iowa, called the recent criticism of ethanol by foreign officials “a big joke.” He questioned why they were not also blaming a drought in Australia that reduced the wheat crop and the growing demand for meat in China and India.

“You make ethanol out of corn,” he said. “I bet if I set a bushel of corn in front of any of those delegates, not one of them would eat it.” :huh:

The senator’s comments reflect a political reality in Washington that despite the criticism from abroad, support for ethanol remains solid.

Representative Jim McGovern, Democrat of Massachusetts, said he had come to realize that Congress made a mistake in backing biofuels, not anticipating the impact on food costs. He said Congress needed to reconsider its policy, though he acknowledged that would be difficult.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/04/15/business...l?th&emc=th

Interesting read here:

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/

What Mr. Grassley is missing is that land that could be used for non-corn purposes is diverted to grow corn hence constricting the supply of wheat etc. Way to take a narrow view to make a point (weakly).

Ofcourse support remains solid considering the agri vote. Or are politicians being just plain stupid ? Either way, we all suffer the consequences.

Interesting read here:

http://www.becker-posner-blog.com/

What Mr. Grassley is missing is that land that could be used for non-corn purposes is diverted to grow corn hence constricting the supply of wheat etc. Way to take a narrow view to make a point (weakly).

Ofcourse support remains solid considering the agri vote. Or are politicians being just plain stupid ? Either way, we all suffer the consequences.

That's it, just follow the money. Thanks for the link, it was interesting