Statistical expectations from Trent Edwards this season

Ramius

Since there are a number of people who arent completely sold on Trent as a legit NFL QB, I simply want to know what are your own personal expectations of Trent Edwards for this upcoming season. No excuses, no ifs, no ands, no buts. I dont want to put win expectations on him, because so much depends on the rest of the team, and i'd like to avoid stats like sacks, because a lot of that depends on blocking. I just want to know what passing numbers you would like to see from Trent at the end of the 2008 season that would make you satisfied and or happy with his progress. Also, feel free to note any minimum benchmarks that you feel he *must* reach. I'm also going under the assumption that trent plays the entire season.

For me, i'm expecting a season of around 62% completion, 3200 yds, 19 TD, and 14 INTs. That would be a good season by my standards. If he can hit those benchmarks, i will have a lot of confidence in him heading into 2009. Anything better than that is gravy. My minimum benchmarks that i feel he must reach this season are (again, this is projecting across 16 starts) are 2500 yds, 60% completion, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. If he cant reach those numbers, i will have some serious reservations about his future.

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Since there are a number of people who arent completely sold on Trent as a legit NFL QB, I simply want to know what are your own personal expectations of Trent Edwards for this upcoming season. No excuses, no ifs, no ands, no buts. I dont want to put win expectations on him, because so much depends on the rest of the team, and i'd like to avoid stats like sacks, because a lot of that depends on blocking. I just want to know what passing numbers you would like to see from Trent at the end of the 2008 season that would make you satisfied and or happy with his progress. Also, feel free to note any minimum benchmarks that you feel he *must* reach. I'm also going under the assumption that trent plays the entire season.

For me, i'm expecting a season of around 62% completion, 3200 yds, 19 TD, and 14 INTs. That would be a good season by my standards. If he can hit those benchmarks, i will have a lot of confidence in him heading into 2009. Anything better than that is gravy. My minimum benchmarks that i feel he must reach this season are (again, this is projecting across 16 starts) are 2500 yds, 60% completion, 17 TDs, and 16 INTs. If he cant reach those numbers, i will have some serious reservations about his future.

Raise the yards by 200, Tds by 9, and lower the INTs by 1. That's what I think.

Your completion numbers are too high IMO. Peyton Manning's first full year he had a 56.7 completion and 26 TD's and 28 Int. with 3,379 yards passing. Jim Kelly's lifetime completion pct. is 60.1.

If Edwards makes 56.0 pct. completions and 2,900 and 23 tds and 19 ints. I'll call it a successful first starting year. Optimally his numbers over the first half of the year will be worse than those over the second half. That's if he starts every game. Minimally I'd like to see 2,400 54.0 17 tds. and 15 ints.

It won't surprise me in the slightest if he has more ints. than tds. It happens to A LOT of rookies.

I want to see what our offense looks like before making predictions. A TE and WR or G will do wonders for Trent. Lets see what draft day brings

Excellent point. I'm basing mine on what I expect Buffalo to do. I reserve the right to change this just before the first game of the season.

Your completion numbers are too high IMO. Peyton Manning's first full year he had a 56.7 completion and 26 TD's and 28 Int. with 3,379 yards passing. Jim Kelly's lifetime completion pct. is 60.1.

If Edwards makes 56.0 pct. completions and 2,900 and 23 tds and 19 ints. I'll call it a successful first starting year. Optimally his numbers over the first half of the year will be worse than those over the second half. That's if he starts every game. Minimally I'd like to see 2,400 54.0 17 tds. and 15 ints.

It won't surprise me in the slightest if he has more ints. than tds. It happens to A LOT of rookies.

I agree with you. as a young QB, i expect an average of 1 INT per game. Much more than that and we could be possibly be talking about a problem. Of course, if his TDs are much higher, it'll offset his INTs. I dont think we'll see enough passing by jauron to warrant 25 Tds and 25 INTs, however. Remember, its jauron we're talking about here. the guy is so conservative he probably wears a condom to kiss his wife good bye.

Which is why we should be starting him the following year also. He needs the experience. Lets give him 2 or 3 more years please.

I agree with you. as a young QB, i expect an average of 1 INT per game. Much more than that and we could be possibly be talking about a problem. Of course, if his TDs are much higher, it'll offset his INTs. I dont think we'll see enough passing by jauron to warrant 25 Tds and 25 INTs, however. Remember, its jauron we're talking about here. the guy is so conservative he probably wears a condom to kiss his wife good bye.

Marv, no huddle, Levy was the most conservative HC when he took over at KC. His team ran the Wing-T. Why? Because he thought that with the talent he had it gave him the best chance to win. As he got better players he became less conservative.

The Bills have had a lot of rookies on it over the past two years and the conservative way is the best way to win with an inexperienced team. I think as the team matures the gloves will come off. I think he's doing things right so far. Fairchild was a wazoo last year and was too conservative but I think Jauron, coming from a D backround, puts more trust in his OC to run things. Hopefully Schonert is a better OC than QB coach.

3200 yards, 20 TD, 12 INT. Anything around there and I'de be happy. But the stats don't tell the whole story. Receivers drop balls, deflected balls get intercepted, holding calls take back TD's, ect.

I'm hoping he just continues to improve, keeps hitting receivers in stride, and shows good awareness. He does that, no matter what the stats say, and I'll be fine with him as the QB for the Bills.

I want to see Trent...

1) improve his red zone performance

2) learn to make good decisions when he audibles

3) protect the football

4) continue to evolve into the leader of this team

5) avoid late, game-changing turnovers...those two or three he had last season were not pretty.

I don't much care about his passing yards, cause I think we're going to be a power running team this season. Trent is supposed to be a very smart player, so I want to see him use the experience of last season to play smarter football this season.