Best option now that no WR is worth #11

And Folks, just because the "experts" are saying no WR is worth #11 Overall don't think for one second that is The Bills opinion on the subject...

...And a third of the board covers their ears and starts singing LALALALALALA!

Agreed again Pete...

And Folks, just because the "experts" are saying no WR is worth #11 Overall don't think for one second that is The Bills opinion on the subject...If You do believe that...well...You're setting yourself up for some MAJOR heartache come Draft Day. Consider that this is the same Team who in 2007 took a SS at #8 overall (that in itself says enough), and then Drafted a DT at #21 Overall that was rated by most a 2nd Rounder at best. And just last Year these same Bills took a RB at #12 that many "experts" had rated as a mid-late 1st Round talent...

The way the Bills look at The Draft, I believe, is a bit different than some...It's almost like when The Bills know they are higher on a Player than most Teams are, they expect another Team to be of the same opinion... So when it comes around to their turn, and the Kid is still on the Board, they take him and don't look back...

My gut tells Me the Bills take Devin Thomas at #11 and don't look back...But heck, I've been wrong plenty of times before...We'll see... :cry:

I don't really disagree with you, KOK.

While it's conventional wisdom on this board to knee-jerk and blow off any & all opinions that diverge from one's own closely held beliefs, the experts do not actually just sit in a dark closet and make sh-- up after popping some acid. They get their opinions about the draft by talking about the draft with hundreds of others, including many of the guys that will call the shots on draft day for NFL teams. Some of the experts are in fact guys that have called the shots on draft day for NFL teams. The experts have personal relationships with coaches, players at both the college and professional levels as well as GMs and agents. Given all that information, to claim or imply that they are ignorant and totally uninformed is itself uninformed and ignorant.

But, back to the Bills. The Bills current brain trust has been very prone to take its own counsel and buck convention. Still, just because it is the Bills, it does not necessarily imply this strategy will pay off or is the "One True Golden Path." Indeed, as others have said on this board, the Bills have the past couple of years created their own holes prior to the draft and then gone into the draft with very clear needs that they had to address and drafted players to fill those needs while minimizing downside risk.

The Bills may well take Devin Thomas at #11 with the expectation that he'll be an above average productive pro WR for several years. I don't know if Bills fans will cry themselves to sleep or have a Miami fan's reaction ala Ted Ginn, Jr.; but, I would fully expect the experts to rip them a new one again for reaching. And, I'd agree with the experts because for all the data they have collected, most NFL executives do not think there is a great WR (ala, another Calvin Johnson) worthy of such a high pick in this draft.

Not sure why you would consider DE a priority in Round 1. Schobel and Kelsay are entrenched as the starters and the Bills have locked them up contactually. That was done for a reason. On top od that, the Bills have Denney.... and I don't care what the dufusses on this board think... Denney would start on a few NFL teams... is is an extremely competent DE... especially against the run. Add to the mix Spencer Johnson, who will assume the Anthony Hargrove role as a situational pass rusher, inside and off the edge as Hargrove did, and I don't see another DE as a priority.

I splained my position... now, splain yours so I cna understand.

Could the fact that:

Kelsay had 2.5 sacks

Denney had 1.0 sack

in 2007 demonstrate to you that adding a pass rushing threat should be a priority for this team?

Devin Thomas is #14 on some draft boards; I think it's him, Rivers or Rogers-Cromartie. I don't think it'll be Harvey.

Well if its not Harvey and won't be Rivers either.

If we are looking to add playmakers to the team,

certainly Crowell is much more of a playmaker than Kelsay, and thus the improvement is needed from his defensive end spot before we need a linebacker.

the experts do not actually just sit in a dark closet and make sh-- up after popping some acid. They get their opinions about the draft by talking about the draft with hundreds of others, including many of the guys that will call the shots on draft day for NFL teams. Some of the experts are in fact guys that have called the shots on draft day for NFL teams. The experts have personal relationships with coaches, players at both the college and professional levels as well as GMs and agents. Given all that information, to claim or imply that they are ignorant and totally uninformed is itself uninformed and ignorant.

This is exactlty why I've stopped paying attention to the "buzz" in the weeks leading up to the draft. I used to buy all the major draft guides and follow the 'expert' opinions - until it became clear that outside of the top 5 picks, it was all background noise, spin and bluff designed to hide the real targets behind stalking horses.

I still like reading player bios and strength/weakness assessments, but I gave up following mock drafts that are nothing more than mental masterbation.

Devin Thomas is #14 on some draft boards; I think it's him, Rivers or Rogers-Cromartie. I don't think it'll be Harvey.

The April 9-15th issue of USA Today Sports Weekly has Devin Thomas ranked as the 14th overall draft prospect. It's our biggest need. I think he will eventually be a true #1 WR and will add instant impact to our O even if initially as a #3. He could also be used on special teams. IMO this guy is a great athlete with tremendous potential. SOOO... With the 11th pick in the '08 draft, the Buffalo Bills select...........Devin Thomas WR Michigan State!!!!!!!!!!!!!

GO BILLS!!!

I got a weired feeling that if the Saints dont take Rivers that Buffalo does. Crowell is ok but this kid seems like a Derrick Brooks type player. We need game changers he seems like that player. Mitchell-POZ-Rivers. WOW!.

The only way I see us taking Rivers is if Jauron is changing the defense from the Tampa 2 to a 3-4 defense.

And why would Rivers replace Crowell? He's the veteran on the defense.

This is exactlty why I've stopped paying attention to the "buzz" in the weeks leading up to the draft. I used to buy all the major draft guides and follow the 'expert' opinions - until it became clear that outside of the top 5 picks, it was all background noise, spin and bluff designed to hide the real targets behind stalking horses.

I still like reading player bios and strength/weakness assessments, but I gave up following mock drafts that are nothing more than mental masterbation.

The funny thing is that many of these GMs are talkers that like to show off how much they think they know. So, once they get started, they'll often just prattle on and on. Nobody should expect them to lay all their cards on the table, though. Nor is it true that the GM makes draft selections with no input from anyone else -- well, at least not usually. :cry:

Yeah, its all fluff, which is why I read the bios and look at their videos and make my own opinions on who I want... not every player, just players I want for the Bills to take.... a few years back one of those players was Jason Peters not that I thought he would be a pro bowl left tackle, just that I thought he was an good fit with huge upside. I thought he would be Bledsloes next Ben coates with that blazing speed and size.... but hey that why you hire good coaches :sick:

No WR is worth #11, so who would you pick if these are avaialable at tha spot?

OLB Keith Rivers

DE Derrick Harvey

CB Leiodis McClendon or whichever other one you prefer

I'd be content with the best of these or even a top OL or D, but don't think I could turn down Rivers. He might play special teams at first, until we see if Mitchell is really any good. If - as I suspect - he is just average, then Rivers would be quickly on the field.

I'm not quite sure that WR was ever the preferred option at #11.

I agree with alot of what you said, I like Denney and he doea not get enough due. Kelsey on the other hand I think is overvalued by this franchise. Schobel is over 30 and coming off his worst year as a pro. Alot can be said that the talent around him was terrible but his rookie year the talent was bad and he still got 8 sacks or more. I personally would rather they target LB or DE to make our front seven better. At LB we have Crowell who is also overvalued by this team, Mitchell who has been a career journeymen, and POZ who has only played three games as a pro. I like what they did in free agency dont get me wrong but I would like them to make this front seven dominant. I know WR is a huge need, I just feel that a strong front seven will be better over the long haul then addressing our WR position with so many questionable WR(both Character and talent wise) in this draft. I might be biased because I hate how so many WR become headcases and bigger then the team personalities. Ofcourse I am working 3 doubles in a row this weekend second and third shifts no less, so I am beat and going to get some sleep, maybe I will feel different when I wake up, but I doubt it.

Thank out lucky stars Marv locked Kelsay and Schobel up long term, and paid them a lot $ up front.

Brilliant.

:sick:

Not sure why you would consider DE a priority in Round 1. Schobel and Kelsay are entrenched as the starters and the Bills have locked them up contactually. That was done for a reason. On top od that, the Bills have Denney.... and I don't care what the dufusses on this board think... Denney would start on a few NFL teams... is is an extremely competent DE... especially against the run. Add to the mix Spencer Johnson, who will assume the Anthony Hargrove role as a situational pass rusher, inside and off the edge as Hargrove did, and I don't see another DE as a priority.

I splained my position... now, splain yours so I cna understand.

Sorry Doc.

Well, for one, Kelsay and Schobel are entrenched as starters mostly because Marv greatly overpaid for both of them.

Those seem to me to be horrible contracts. What was the reason that was done? Someone was going to snag Kelsay? LOL.

RE: Denney starting, you're delusional. He is a career backup, period. He can't start on THIS roster.

Schobel is getting up there, and rarely makes an impact against better O lines. He is overrated and overpaid, and probably the

best player on a bad defense last year.

Agreed again Pete...

And Folks, just because the "experts" are saying no WR is worth #11 Overall don't think for one second that is The Bills opinion on the subject...If You do believe that...well...You're setting yourself up for some MAJOR heartache come Draft Day. Consider that this is the same Team who in 2007 took a SS at #8 overall (that in itself says enough), and then Drafted a DT at #21 Overall that was rated by most a 2nd Rounder at best. And just last Year these same Bills took a RB at #12 that many "experts" had rated as a mid-late 1st Round talent...

The way the Bills look at The Draft, I believe, is a bit different than some...It's almost like when The Bills know they are higher on a Player than most Teams are, they expect another Team to be of the same opinion... So when it comes around to their turn, and the Kid is still on the Board, they take him and don't look back...

My gut tells Me the Bills take Devin Thomas at #11 and don't look back...But heck, I've been wrong plenty of times before...We'll see... :sick:

I have agreed with all your posts on the subject KOK. Sweed is a stud too. I have a feeling that Devin Thomas is gonna be a fast riser up draft boards the next two weeks (holy sh--- the draft is only two weeks away!!!). I would not be surprised if someone traded ahead of the Bills and drafted Thomas-before pick 11. As far as the peanut gallery is concerned- where are they getting their info? Bills scouts or some draft magazine that was printed two months ago? We have some that think they know more then the Bills doctors regarding medical opinion. And we have others that think they know more then our front office-because something they read on the internet. It is all conjecture on all of our parts and I have a lot of faith in the Bills front office. Whomever they decide to pick at 11- I trust them. And if it is Devin Thomas I will be very happy

One of the top 10 players in the draft always slips in the draft. Whoever he is take him.

The usual top 10 are the 2 Longs, Matt Ryan, McFadden, Dorsey, Ellis, Gholston, McKelvin, Rivers and Clady.

Which one of these slips and why?

Which one would you NOT take at 11 even if he does slip?

(My guess would be Clady and I wouldn't take him ahead of Harvey, Albert, Thomas or Jenkins/DRC).

(I WOULD, however, take any of the others, even if it was just to take him ie McFadden or Ryan)

No WR is worth #11, so who would you pick if these are avaialable at tha spot?

OLB Keith Rivers

DE Derrick Harvey

CB Leiodis McClendon or whichever other one you prefer

I'd be content with the best of these or even a top OL or D, but don't think I could turn down Rivers. He might play special teams at first, until we see if Mitchell is really any good. If - as I suspect - he is just average, then Rivers would be quickly on the field.

Any one of the three but the need is higher at CB and DE. Given the 3, I might take McKelvin but he will be gone. So I say Harvey.

We're a DT away from a championship?

Goodness no, but, I see Ellis as someone who will come in and make an immediate impact. Team him with Stroud and the entire defense improves (including obviously our DT rotation). DEs become more effective, LBs are able to make plays while moving forward. DBs don't have to cover quite so long. I could be very wrong...it happens often...but I believe that getting him at #8 would be a huge steal and a huge step forward for the Bills.

Would I prefer that there were a WR (or TE) available @11 who would make sense? Hell yes I would prefer that, but unfortunately this isn't the year for taking a WR that high (IMVHO). Could we trade back and hope that our guy is there? Yup. Could we miss out on that guy? Yup. Then what?