Gholston way overrrated?

Buyer Beware on defensive end

Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston is considered a high-riser in the NFL Draft. Scouts have fallen in love with his potential, overlooking, perhaps, some inconsistencies from his college career.

“He’s top seven at worst,’’ ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr., said.

New England, picking seventh, could be his final destination. In the 3-4 front, Gholston could be used as a linebacker.

But not all have him up there, however. At least one AFC team gave him a second-round grade, even talking about dropping him to the third round.

“I’d be terrified if I took him in the first round,’’ one scout said. “He’s chiseled, he runs like the wind and he’s not dumb. But if you look on film, he has three great games and the rest of the season he’s watching the game.’’

http://www.examiner.com/a-1326675~Where_the_buck_stops.html

Buyer Beware on defensive end

Ohio State’s Vernon Gholston is considered a high-riser in the NFL Draft. Scouts have fallen in love with his potential, overlooking, perhaps, some inconsistencies from his college career.

“He’s top seven at worst,’’ ESPN draft guru Mel Kiper Jr., said.

New England, picking seventh, could be his final destination. In the 3-4 front, Gholston could be used as a linebacker.

But not all have him up there, however. At least one AFC team gave him a second-round grade, even talking about dropping him to the third round.

“I’d be terrified if I took him in the first round,’’ one scout said. “He’s chiseled, he runs like the wind and he’s not dumb. But if you look on film, he has three great games and the rest of the season he’s watching the game.’’

http://www.examiner.com/a-1326675~Where_the_buck_stops.html

Mike Mamula II

terrell suggs II - sounds like someone is hoping to see him slip

I agree. This kid looks like the real deal. Barring injury, I think he'll be a great Defensive End/Outside 'Backer wherever he goes. I love it when these anonymous sources bash guys to reporters. They are just trying to play mind games with the hope that it'll hurt some of these guys' draft stock and that they will fall.

I pray to God that the Draft Tek sim is dead on and the Raiders take him at #4.

Agreed. Keep him outta the AFC East.

He's gonna be good. With those measurables and having played at an elite program at Ohio State it'll be surprising if he doesn't become a 10 sack/year guy rushing from the OLB spot in a 3-4. Teams are thinking he's the next Shawne Merriman or Terrell Suggs.

He's gonna be good. With those measurables and having played at an elite program at Ohio State it'll be surprising if he doesn't become a 10 sack/year guy rushing from the OLB spot in a 3-4. Teams are thinking he's the next Shawne Merriman or Terrell Suggs.

with or without the juice?

Really? Wow. You know, I was watching scout videos and interviews yesterday on as many players as I could. I was seriously thinking "if I was starting a brand new team, and got pick any player in the draft, I think I would pick Gholston". I thought and think he is awesome, right about the same level as Patrick Willis from last year. I won't be happy if NE lands him.

I dunno. I've read more than once about his lack of flexibility. At his position that's important. Chiseled guys tend to ahve less range of motion and pull muscles more frequently as a result. Anyone remember Monty Brown? He was ripped but he was constantly pulling muscles because he was too ripped for football. It's not bodybuilding, you've gotta bend. If he can't bend at his hips he'll get devoured in the NFL as do all DEs who play standing stright up.

I agree. This kid looks like the real deal. Barring injury, I think he'll be a great Defensive End/Outside 'Backer wherever he goes. I love it when these anonymous sources bash guys to reporters.

I love it when anonymous MB posters think they know NFL talent because they read a draft guide.... <_<

I dunno. I've read more than once about his lack of flexibility. At his position that's important. Chiseled guys tend to ahve less range of motion and pull muscles more frequently as a result. Anyone remember Monty Brown? He was ripped but he was constantly pulling muscles because he was too ripped for football. It's not bodybuilding, you've gotta bend. If he can't bend at his hips he'll get devoured in the NFL as do all DEs who play standing stright up.

I remember reading somewhere on another message board that there were rumors that he was a juiced player. It was when I was first doing searches on first round players. I know that message board rumors don't mean a hill of beans, but if I were a GM interested in this player I know I'd be doing a ton of homework on him and start by looking at pictures of him a year ago and compare that to what he looks like presently.

The best pure pass rusher/best athlete in the draft overrated. His 22 1/2 sacks 30.5 tackles behind the los the last 2 seasons disagree. Gholston will be a monster, and the best player to come out of this draft. Glenn Dorsey a close 2nd assuming he can stay healthy.

Yes, that is one school of though at play. The other is that if he turns out to be a flop, there is no other roster I would love to see him eat up cap space on than that of the Oakland Raiders. Their fans get so pumped up every year about guys like George, Moss, Gallery, Doss, SeaBass, Jordan, et al, and a every year it's the same old let down for these fools. It's so annoying out here...