Draft only offense; QBs and RBs

I can't understand why NFL teams draft so many DBs in the first round. It seems recent history points to that. And why take a DB when all we're ever told is how important the QB and running game is to success and a winning record and playoff victories.

My thinking is: The way the league is, it's better to draft offense and make a splash with fans.

If public perception is so important, I think drafting offense is the only way to go.

USE FREE AGENCY to sign the top defensive talent. Because defense is what wins games and it's better to go with proven players on defense. You can't have busts on defense and it seems teams have been having a lot of busts on defense lately.

I would draft a QB EVERY YEAR.

Use him as trade bait to collect extra picks (not first rounders, too expensive) if he proves to be good, but not starting material on your team. I would draft a QB in any round. Including a first rounder. That way you could stock pile 2nd and 3rd rounders and build your team.

I would also draft a RB every year. Probably two RB's. They don't last long and you could always have quality players in the wings. Plus you could use them as trade bait if you get like three or four guys that are quality. Many teams like Tampa needed running backs. RBs go done more than QBs.

I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on O-line either. Too many Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams and Leonard Davis's out there. Take O-line in the later rounds and find those gems.

• Replies 40
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

I can't understand why NFL teams draft so many DBs in the first round. It seems recent history points to that. And why take a DB when all we're ever told is how important the QB and running game is to success and a winning record and playoff victories.

My thinking is: The way the league is, it's better to draft offense and make a splash with fans.

If public perception is so important, I think drafting offense is the only way to go.

USE FREE AGENCY to sign the top defensive talent. Because defense is what wins games and it's better to go with proven players on defense. You can't have busts on defense and it seems teams have been having a lot of busts on defense lately.

Use him as trade bait to collect extra picks (not first rounders, too expensive) if he proves to be good, but not starting material on your team. I would draft a QB in any round. Including a first rounder. That way you could stock pile 2nd and 3rd rounders and build your team.

I would also draft a RB every year. Probably two RB's. They don't last long and you could always have quality players in the wings. Plus you could use them as trade bait if you get like three or four guys that are quality. Many teams like Tampa needed running backs. RBs go done more than QBs.

I wouldn't use a 1st rounder on O-line either. Too many Robert Gallery's, Mike Williams and Leonard Davis's out there. Take O-line in the later rounds and find those gems.

Is that you Tom Donahoe?

You Evil, Blood-Drinking, Baby-snatching, Lord of Darkness...Your services are no longer needed in Western New York. Grab Mike Mularkey ans Greggg Williams and go back to the Pit you ascended from! Yoiu wont fool us with your shape-shifting Username.

Using only UFAs from the past few years, build a playoff-caliber defense under the salary cap.

Bingo. The draft's the cheap labor pool the NFL is built on. No way you could sign enough FAs to stock one side of the ball--not to mention the ill will it might cause among guys on offense who wouldn't be on the receiving end of those big FA signing bonuses.

cb's really are the best high draft value.

they can play right away, very often are starters on their new team (and an upgrade).

they can be big impact players, they can really super charge your pass D, and they are soooo expensive to replace.

as much as a good pass rush helps your corners, corners help your pass rush. the giants went from OK to great rushing the passer by adding a couple of corners.

we went from very good to terrible by losing clements.

good teams have good corners.

they can play right away, very often are starters on their new team (and an upgrade).

they can be big impact players, they can really super charge your pass D, and they are soooo expensive to replace.

as much as a good pass rush helps your corners, corners help your pass rush. the giants went from OK to great rushing the passer by adding a couple of corners.

Great DB's get you interceptions and cover sacks. They don't get your DL into the opposing backfield for a great passrush. That's all DLine (with some help from the LB's of course)

Losing Clements... and one of our DEs, our starting safety, his backup, our starting CB, his backup, and our Nickelback. But it's all Clements...

can't understand why NFL teams draft so many DBs in the first round. It seems recent history points to that. And why take a DB when all we're ever told is how important the QB and running game is to success and a winning record and playoff victories.

ALA the New York Giants?......gotchya thanks.....next!

Bingo. The draft's the cheap labor pool the NFL is built on. No way you could sign enough FAs to stock one side of the ball--not to mention the ill will it might cause among guys on offense who wouldn't be on the receiving end of those big FA signing bonuses.

The draft is a cheap labor pool???? On NFL Network, NFL owners and just about everyone else wants to get rid of the huge signing bonuses paid out to unproven rookies taken in the first round.

The ill will you're talking about is directed at rookies right now. They haven't done anything but they get to ruin a team.

A good proven veteran defense (LB and DL) will create winning quicker than drafting overpriced slugs in the first round.

Examples: Green Bay with QBs: Mark Bruenell, Matt Hasselback. In other words: They didn't stop drafting QBs once they had Brett Farve.

Dallas Cowboys: Jimmy Johnson won Superbowls with Charles Haley. Haley drafted by S.F.

Houston Texans: They drafted a CB and neglected the QB position after it was clear that David Carr was a huge bust. If they would have kept drafting QBs maybe they could have found a solution quicker. Granted Daute Robinson is a good player, but they still were a terrible team.

What was S.F. record? Did they make the playoffs? They need to find a new QB now or they are just wasting the money they paid to Clements. I'm not saying Clements is bad player. He's good, but find a QB.

So you suggest we draft QB's when you already have a QB, draft a RB when you already have a RB, and get a bunch of older/ more expensive defensive starters in free agency?

No thank you, we already fired Tom Donahoe.

Buffalo could use another weapon at RB. What if you have an injury? The Bills don't have that luxury. The QB situation is muddled at best.

Keep talking about a wideout . . . makes no sense.

Buffalo could use another weapon at RB. What if you have an injury? The Bills don't have that luxury. The QB situation is muddled at best.

Keep talking about a wideout . . . makes no sense.

First of all I would like someone to point out where I said "take a WR" in that post.

Secondly, we have Fred Jackson backing up Lynch. And while Wright didn't do much last year, it's way too early to give up on him.

Third, Who the <_< is going to catch all of passes from your 17 Qb's? If we had gone with your srategy, We wouldn't have Evans, Parrish, or Reed.

Fourthly, We wouldn't be able to trade the QB's you would draft because teams would just hold us hostage. Why would they pay a premium when we have no leverage?

Fifth, Which Qb is worth taking at 11 this year? Ryan is going ot gone by then, and the next probably won't be taken until the second round.

Sixth, Rookies (especially 1st rounders) Reciev huge bonuses, paying all that money to players on the bench is a waste.

Seventh, If paying all that money to players who will never see the feild wasn't enough, do you have any idea how much cap room would be needed to pay for an entire free agent defense? Clements alone got 80 million dollars. Good luck getting 11 players to start for your team, along with sufficient backups for them.

Did I miss anything?

seriously. Or name one playoff, and or superbowl team winner or loser that had a defense, built primarily off fa additions.

The New England Patroits have had a lot of free agents on defense during the Tom Brady era. Their entire defense? No, but a great number of them.

What I'm saying is concentrate on offense more than defense in the draft.

First of all I would like someone to point out where I said "take a WR" in that post.

Secondly, we have Fred Jackson backing up Lynch. And while Wright didn't do much last year, it's way too early to give up on him.

Third, Who the <_< is going to catch all of passes from your 17 Qb's? If we had gone with your srategy, We wouldn't have Evans, Parrish, or Reed.

Fourthly, We wouldn't be able to trade the QB's you would draft because teams would just hold us hostage. Why would they pay a premium when we have no leverage?

Fifth, Which Qb is worth taking at 11 this year? Ryan is going ot gone by then, and the next probably won't be taken until the second round.

Sixth, Rookies (especially 1st rounders) Reciev huge bonuses, paying all that money to players on the bench is a waste.

Seventh, If paying all that money to players who will never see the feild wasn't enough, do you have any idea how much cap room would be needed to pay for an entire free agent defense? Clements alone got 80 million dollars. Good luck getting 11 players to start for your team, along with sufficient backups for them.

Did I miss anything?

1. I didn't say you said take a WR. Others have.

2. Sorry I'm not buying the Fred Jackson thing. What's his number? I don't even know.

3 Why wouldn't you have good WRs. I said focus on offense with QBs and RBs then WR next. But don't draft CBs and WR first and find good proven defensive help in FA.

4. I guess you missed Green Bay and Matt Hasselback. You missed Saint Louis and Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. Bulger was a sixth round pick wasn't he?

5. Ryan could be had. Don't be sold on him going that high. Parcells is going to take defense.

6. Rookies do get huge bonuses so why waste it on an unproven defensive player. Take an offensive player. Chiefs and Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes.

S.F paid huge money for Nate Clemens. Did they make the playoffs?

Seattle paid huge money for Patrick Kerney. Did they make the playoffs?

Did I miss anything?

Ummm, April Fools day was last week, buddy.

1. I didn't say you said take a WR. Others have.

2. Sorry I'm not buying the Fred Jackson thing. What's his number? I don't even know.

3 Why wouldn't you have good WRs. I said focus on offense with QBs and RBs then WR next. But don't draft CBs and WR first and find good proven defensive help in FA.

4. I guess you missed Green Bay and Matt Hasselback. You missed Saint Louis and Kurt Warner and Marc Bulger. Bulger was a sixth round pick wasn't he?

5. Ryan could be had. Don't be sold on him going that high. Parcells is going to take defense.

6. Rookies do get huge bonuses so why waste it on an unproven defensive player. Take an offensive player. Chiefs and Larry Johnson and Priest Holmes.

S.F paid huge money for Nate Clemens. Did they make the playoffs?

Seattle paid huge money for Patrick Kerney. Did they make the playoffs?

Did I miss anything?

1. Than why did you quote my comment when you made that assanine post?

2. So you didn't watch the bills last year? He was solid when he played, You don't draft a fourth RB because your 2nd best RB might not be great.

3. You wouldn't have good WR's because what % of late round picks develope into great players? For every Colston ther 25 Sam Aiken's.

4. GB had a HOF QB (who has missed all of 0 starts) for Hasselback/ Brunell to learn behind. (we don't have one) Same goes for QB's as it does for every other position, Sometimes you get lucky in late rounds.

5. The best Qb in the draft isn't falling to 11, Miami, Atlanta, and Baltimore all need a Qb.

6. All rookies are unproven, not just defensive rookies. Priest Holmes was getting older, they needed a young running back. The Bengals took Chris Perry when they had R. Johnson, how'd that work?

And Seatle was already a playoff team in the worst division in football, they would have made the playoffs with or without Kerney. And how many FA signings like that can you expect to make? Do you realize how much money he makes?