Sabres Offseason preview

Well it finally is official.... :lol: we are not going to the playoffs. I'm not sure really what to feel right now because like the players, I'm stunned. We were tops in the conference the last 2 years and everything feel apart this year. Here's how I analyze the season....

1. The team was very inconsistent. Granted injuries and how young of a team we are but losing 10 straight is inexcusable. There's no way you should have a stretch games like that.
  2. Adversity. I hope the season really toughens up the team, especially the young guys. YOU CAN'T GET NERVOUS WHEN THE OTHER TEAM SCORES AND YOU HAVE THE LEAD! I just hope the team learns from this.
  3. Where was the leadership? During the season I barely saw anyone stepping up on this team and taking control of a game. I give Roy and Pominville and I guess Vanek the pass because they WERE the reason we were alive the entire season. We need another leader for this team, but I'll get to that later as you will see.

Now let's take a look at each position and see what the team needs to do during the offseason.

LW - I think we are generally safe here. Vanek is still in the top 3 best players on the team, Bernier will be better next year, Paille is an above average player, and Peters......well.....he a great fighter :devil: ! I don't think we need to improve here because I think that these guys being as young as they are will still get better.

RW - Again I think we might be good here. Pominville will continue to be the MVP of the Sabres, Kotalik will being to become Stafford's teacher since he's the veteran of the bunch, Kaleta will only get better, and Stafford still has so much potential. Now as you can see I didn't include someone......Maxi. Before you guys say that he needs to be on the team go back and watch some of his games. Have you noticed he's not much of a passer and how much he tries to do with the puck. HE'S A TURNOVER MACHINE! Granted he's a great 1 vs 1 player but he's just not an all-around good player. I think it's time we think about trading Max and try and see if we can get another veteran or draft pick for him.

C - Might need to do something here. Roy, Connolly, and Hecht are safe. Gaustad seems to be the one I can't put my finger on. He's still a young player will a lot of room for improvement. The only problem that I see wrong with him is his aggressiveness to go after the puck. He was very inconsistent and seemed hesitant to take the hit in the other end. Nevertheless, I still think he will be on the team next year because of his continuing potential and his assists. Mair I think is gone. He just hasn't played well and I think this is one of the areas that we need to get another veteran player to help Hecht teach this team.

D - The achilles heel of this team. This is going to be an interesting area to see what they do. Tallinder, Lydman, and Spacek are guaranteed safe because they played hard all year and are good veteran TEACHERS for our young defensemen (Sekera and Weber). I think everyone else, maybe except Numminen, needs to go. Pratt is getting up there in age, Paetsch seems to nervous out on the ice, and Kalinin just doesn't do enough to help out the defense. We definetly need to get at least 2 good defensemen. We could draft 2 defensemen with both our first round picks or what I think is the way to go....trade up in the draft to get the best young defensemen and sign the best defensemen in FA. This is going to be very interesting.

G - I don't know what to make of Miller. He looked great the previous 2 years but he just fell apart this year. I can't tell if we are seeing the true side of Miller because the previous to years we had a good defense to mask his not so great skills or if it was just an off year. I'm not sure what to make of him, but I think we should draft a quality young goalie just in case. One that can back up Miller and learn from him. I hope this was just a bad year for Miller.

Overall I only see us needing to do 2 things this offseason, improving the defense and possibly trading Maxi while he still has trade value. I saw the team this year like the Bills were last year. They were Inconsistent, very young, and have a lot of potential. I think this year will be a good this for all these young guys. It will show them to play hard for 60 minutes, work hard for next season so they don't have to go through the emotions of missing the playoffs, and listen to the veteran players learn how to improve their game. I don't think we are far from making the playoffs because our young guys will be motivated to make the playoffs and the defense will be better.

Well it finally is official.... :lol: we are not going to the playoffs. I'm not sure really what to feel right now because like the players, I'm stunned. We were tops in the conference the last 2 years and everything feel apart this year. Here's how I analyze the season....

1. The team was very inconsistent. Granted injuries and how young of a team we are but losing 10 straight is inexcusable. There's no way you should have a stretch games like that.
  2. Adversity. I hope the season really toughens up the team, especially the young guys. YOU CAN'T GET NERVOUS WHEN THE OTHER TEAM SCORES AND YOU HAVE THE LEAD! I just hope the team learns from this.
  3. Where was the leadership? During the season I barely saw anyone stepping up on this team and taking control of a game. I give Roy and Pominville and I guess Vanek the pass because they WERE the reason we were alive the entire season. We need another leader for this team, but I'll get to that later as you will see.

Now let's take a look at each position and see what the team needs to do during the offseason.

LW - I think we are generally safe here. Vanek is the MVP of the team, Bernier will be better next year, Paille is an above average player, and Peters......well.....he a great fighter :devil: ! I don't think we need to improve here because I think that these guys being as young as they are will still get better.

RW - Again I think we might be good here. Pominville will continue to be the MVP of the Sabres, Kotalik will being to become Stafford's teacher since he's the veteran of the bunch, Kaleta will only get better, and Stafford still has so much potential. Now as you can see I didn't include someone......Maxi. Before you guys say that he needs to be on the team go back and watch some of his games. Have you noticed he's not much of a passer and how much he tries to do with the puck. HE'S A TURNOVER MACHINE! Granted he's a great 1 vs 1 player but he's just not an all-around good player. I think it's time we think about trading Max and try and see if we can get another veteran or draft pick for him.

C - Might need to do something here. Roy, Connolly, and Hecht are safe. Gaustad seems to be the one I can't put my finger on. He's still a young player will a lot of room for improvement. The only problem that I see wrong with him is his aggressiveness to go after the puck. He was very inconsistent and seemed hesitant to take the hit in the other end. Nevertheless, I still think he will be on the team next year because of his continuing potential and his assists. Mair I think is gone. He just hasn't played well and I think this is one of the areas that we need to get another veteran player to help Hecht teach this team.

D - The achilles heel of this team. This is going to be an interesting area to see what they do. Tallinder, Lydman, and Spacek are guaranteed safe because they played hard all year and are good veteran TEACHERS for our young defensemen (Sekera and Weber). I think everyone else, maybe except Numminen, needs to go. Pratt is getting up there in age, Paetsch seems to nervous out on the ice, and Kalinin just doesn't do enough to help out the defense. We definetly need to get at least 2 good defensemen. We could draft 2 defensemen with both our first round picks or what I think is the way to go....trade up in the draft to get the best young defensemen and sign the best defensemen in FA. This is going to be very interesting.

G - I don't know what to make of Miller. He looked great the previous 2 years but he just fell apart this year. I can't tell if we are seeing the true side of Miller because the previous to years we had a good defense to mask his not so great skills or if it was just an off year. I'm not sure what to make of him, but I think we should draft a quality young goalie just in case. One that can back up Miller and learn from him. I hope this was just a bad year for Miller.

Overall I only see us needing to do 2 things this offseason, improving the defense and possibly trading Maxi while he still has trade value. I saw the team this year like the Bills were last year. They were Inconsistent, very young, and have a lot of potential. I think this year will be a good this for all these young guys. It will show them to play hard for 60 minutes, work hard for next season so they don't have to go through the emotions of missing the playoffs, and listen to the veteran players learn how to improve their game. I don't think we are far from making the playoffs because our young guys will be motivated to make the playoffs and the defense will be better.

Do you know anything about this franchise, or are you just rambling on about a team that you know a little bit about?

Do some research before you make predictions about what needs to be done with this franchise. If you think we should get rid of Kalinin or Afinogenov, and we should keep Hecht and Lydman, than I suggest that you stop watching the games right now (or atleast stop commenting on them).

Yes, I think it would be a wise decision to dump Kalinin, that first round selection from a few years back, and a fan favorite and loyal player like Max Afinogenov. We should hold onto Toni Lydman who looks like he doesn't even know how to tie his own skates half the time as well as we should give Hecht Vanek money.

Now the only area that i agree with you is Miller's play, but once again, do some research, the Sabres have the number one goalie prospect in the AHL right now in Adam Dennis. As for stating that Miller had great defense the last two years is just ridiculous. The defense those years was some of the sloppiest defensive play i have ever seen. In the playoffs against the Ottawa Senators two years ago Miller faced an average of over 35 shots a game, most of which came on the rebounds that the defense did not clear out of the zone.

All in all, i see the Sabres making the playoffs next year if we add a scoring forward to the line up. Relying on Vanek is just not going to do it for this hockey club. And for Vanek's sake, let's hope that Tim Connolly remains injury free next season.

Do you know anything about this franchise, or are you just rambling on about a team that you know a little bit about?

Do some research before you make predictions about what needs to be done with this franchise. If you think we should get rid of Kalinin or Afinogenov, and we should keep Hecht and Lydman, than I suggest that you stop watching the games right now (or atleast stop commenting on them).

Hecht and Lydman are veterans and can be good teachers for some of our younger guys. That's why I don't think getting rid of them is the right this to do. Maxi on the other hand is a so-so player. He's not the type of playerwho's going to pass the puck to another player on a 2-1. He always tries to do to much with the puck and creates turnovers. I just don't see Maxi in the same light has I did last year. He's a completely different player.

Actually, Oneonta, I don't think your assesment is half bad. I am not saying I agree with all of the moves/non-moves you propose, but I don't see the Sabres being a franchise that is overly reactive. I think they will stand pat, for the most part, for better or worse. Obviously Kalinen is gone, and it only makes sense that they try to see what they can get for Max, love him or hate him, I believe he is a FA after next season...the Sabres really can't afford to go throuh that mess again. I actually like Max, but he just doesn't fit on this team, the way it is made up. Also, I think it might not be a bad idea to see what they could get for Kotalik. He is another player that I really like (I am a sucker for a sharp shooter), but just did not contribute enough else, on a nightly basis.

One thing I may disagree with, a little, is Ryan Miller. I know he had nice stats the two previous seasons, but I think he has always had some visable flaws in his game. What is lost in the rosy rememberences of the 2006-07 season, was that Miller had some very bad stretches that season too...the team in front of him was just so much better. They could score at will most of the time.

The high goals against average is part of the product of the style the Sabres play, but with the team the Sabres had this year, they couldn't play that style, and be successful more nights than not, with a shakey Miller. I don't know what it is, but I swear, there were times last season too, where Miller just looked to me to be "out of it"...like his head was just not in the game. I do think Ruff deserves some criticism in this area. Miller is a very good goaltender, but he is no Hasek. I think it is obvious, the kid just can't play as many games as he does...why not give him a night off every two weeks or so?

Ultimately, what did this team in this year, was their play in their own end of the ice. I wouldn't be too sad to see an overhaul on defense. Some of the kids look real good, but some of the vets were just brutal this year, when push came to shove. But, the way the team operates, and the way the leauge is set up now, I can't see a major overhaul here. I hope to god they go after at least one established defensemen and another tough forward.

Kind of a sad way for this run to end. But, take some solace. I don't think this team is as far away from being a legit contender again, as it may seem. They just need a little more toughness, and an attitude adjustment. Assuming Lindy is back next season, I think he is smart enough to get this thing going in the right direction.

BTW- the first move I would make, if I were Tom Golasano, is to call Larry Quinn, and tell him his days as the king of nothing are over.

Yes, I think it would be a wise decision to dump Kalinin, that first round selection from a few years back, and a fan favorite and loyal player like Max Afinogenov. We should hold onto Toni Lydman who looks like he doesn't even know how to tie his own skates half the time as well as we should give Hecht Vanek money.

Now the only area that i agree with you is Miller's play, but once again, do some research, the Sabres have the number one goalie prospect in the AHL right now in Adam Dennis. As for stating that Miller had great defense the last two years is just ridiculous. The defense those years was some of the sloppiest defensive play i have ever seen. In the playoffs against the Ottawa Senators two years ago Miller faced an average of over 35 shots a game, most of which came on the rebounds that the defense did not clear out of the zone.

All in all, i see the Sabres making the playoffs next year if we add a scoring forward to the line up. Relying on Vanek is just not going to do it for this hockey club. And for Vanek's sake, let's hope that Tim Connolly remains injury free next season.

Adam Dennis? Since when?

How can you criticize someone else's analysis when yours is so off base. Max and Kalinin are defensive liabilities who have had enough time to grow but have not done so, and the team would be better off using their high salaries on other players. Lydman and Hecht are two of the teams best defensive players, which is why they get so much ice time against the other teams top lines. Adam Dennis is an average goalie at best, I don't know where you get the idea he's the #1 AHL goalie prospect. He's not even the Sabres #1 prospect. That's Swedish goalie Jhonas Enroth. Connelly is a broken china doll, the limited time they get from him isn't worth the money or the roster spot.

The reality is that the Sabres let top players go even after they were getting the extra revenue from going deep into the playoffs the last couple of years, let alone try to sign top free agents. Now with no playoff revenue, the best we can hope for are new contracts for Pomminville and Miller, a restocking of a depleated minor league roster to build for the future, the addition of a couple of 3rd line players with some grit, and further growth of the core players.

Obviously the downfall started with losing Briere and Drury in the off season, then they trade their best defensemen mid season. So 3 huge pieces from the presidents cup winning team from a year ago were gone to end this season. You can throw in trading a solid backup goalie into the equation as well. It's really not surprising they missed the playoffs. Could they have been a 7 or 8 seed, yes definitely. I think 7 through 11 are all pretty even teams.

But I really feel they do not have to make too many moves to get this team back in contention. Start by cutting ties or trading Kalinin, Afinogenov, Paetsch, Pratt and Connely. It would be nice to add a playmaker, but I think their offense is pretty good. At minimum they need some defensive help, I would keep Lydman, Sekera, Tallinder and Spacek and bring in a couple proven veteran defensemen. And you have Weber to call up in case of injury.

The big decision is with Miller. Is he the goalie of the future? Do they invest a boat load of money in this guy? I really would not want to make that decision. Especially when you watch goalies like Price last night, that guy is phenomenal! Can Miller get to that level? He proved this year that he can't do it alone, he definitely needs a really good defense in front of him. But I also think he was extremely over worked. So, do you invest in Miller and build the defense. Or do you cut ties and try to find the next Price?

There will be some tough decisions this off season. They really aren't too far away, let's hope they do something to get them back in contention....

....Now the only area that i agree with you is Miller's play, but once again, do some research, the Sabres have the number one goalie prospect in the AHL right now in Adam Dennis. As for stating that Miller had great defense the last two years is just ridiculous. The defense those years was some of the sloppiest defensive play i have ever seen. In the playoffs against the Ottawa Senators two years ago Miller faced an average of over 35 shots a game, most of which came on the rebounds that the defense did not clear out of the zone.

Jhonas Enroth is the Sabres best prospect at goalie.

You criticize his analysis and then you post this? You may be the only person in the world who thinks it's important for the Sabres to play Kalinin. He got his big chance this year with extra playing time after Campbell was traded and he actually played worse. And that's after he played poorly for most of the last couple seasons. And Afinogenov may be the most inconsistant player in Sabres history. The only time he is consistant is in the playoffs, where he's terrible. The only reason not to trade him immediately might be that his stock has fallen so much in the last couple years that we wouldn't get anything decent in return.

Hecht is a good player that we have under contract for another 4 years. There's no need to trade him. And Lydman is still a good defenseman whose play has dropped off now that Tallinder isn't the guy he was after he started running into injury problems two years ago.

And you actually think our AHL goalie has a better future here than Enroth??

Wow. Get rid of Hecht? Keep Kalinin and Max? Dennis a top prospect? And then you have the audacity to rip Oneonta Buffalo Fan on his post? :P

I thought OBF did a pretty good job of summarizing the state of the Sabres. My only complaints:

1. Bernier normally plays RW, not LW

2. Hecht is more of a natural fit at LW than C

3. Paetsch and Mair are what they are - inexpensive role players who will probably be kept in the name of team chemistry

4. Miller is still a good goalie. The defensemen around him sucked, and he was simply fatigued...he set the franchise record for most games started by a goalie in one season...by several games, I believe

My apologies for the Adam Dennis mistake. Tired and typing a paper for a psychology class. Minor mistake, I apologize.

As for the rest of my post, i stand by it. Lydman is a lot worse than Kalinin in my opinion. You wish to talk about turnover liabilities, go back and watch any of Lydman's games. The guy is terrible on the outlet pass, which is key for our style of play, and is often out of position in our own end, not to mention when he just happens to make a joke of an appearance in the offensive end. It is exactly that...offensive.

Now, when it comes to Max Afinogenov, he is absolutely vital on this team. Teams all over the NHL know that if you want to stop any Sabre attack on offense, all you have to do is line up at the blue line on defense and they will dump it into the zone. You need guys like Afinogenov to leg it into the zone and not just dump around the back of the net, and not be aggressive enough on the forecheck.

As for the comments on Hecht. Defensive? Really? He is not the primary problem on this Sabres team, but my god, the man is mediocre at best.

Now, if I must, I will go back through the old threads and find the thread in which i used the statistics, actual fact, to prove Connolly's worth.

As for the comments on Hecht. Defensive? Really? He is not the primary problem on this Sabres team, but my god, the man is mediocre at best.

When I read your first post in this thread I figured it had to be satire. Apparently, it wasn't.

Others have already corrected your mistake regarding Adam Dennis, but I will reiterate: The jury is still out on whether Dennis is even a servicable AHL player. His NHL prospects are not good. Enroth is the Sabres best goalie prospect, as others have said as well. I will add, though, that Enroth hasn't played a single second of North American hockey at this point.

I'm not sure where the Hecht hate comes from. He is clearly one of the best defensive forwards on the team, and he and Pominville combine to make a very good defensive pair that work well with a variety of left wingers. His absence in March was definitely noticed by those paying attention. I'm not sure where the crack about "Vanek-type money" comes from as Hecht was re-signed earlier this season at a very reasonable price.

The fact that you think Afinogenov is vital to this team says a lot.

You do realize that with this post you did what no one thought was ever possible...you made LSI appear (and i stress appear) halfway intelligent.

You do realize that with this post you did what no one thought was ever possible...you made LSI appear (and i stress appear) halfway intelligent.

His post was so bad that I'm trying to figure out if he is (or just works for) Larry Quinn.

The fact that you think Afinogenov is vital to this team says a lot.

If you do not have someone to carry the puck into the zone when they line up defensively on the blue line, the Sabres are dead in the water. It was a huge problem until Max came back. Teams were lining up on the blue line and the Sabres would spend almost no time in the opposition's end. Unless the Sabres can find someone else to carry it into the zone, or come up with a different method besides dumping the puck in and losing on the forecheck, Max is a vital part of this team.

His post was so bad that I'm trying to figure out if he is (or just works for) Larry Quinn.

I'm sorry that I do not share your optimism about this team. But when you watch as much hockey as I have this season, just over 70 games, i think you start to see holes in the team that other occassional viewers may not see.

If you do not have someone to carry the puck into the zone when they line up defensively on the blue line, the Sabres are dead in the water. It was a huge problem until Max came back. Teams were lining up on the blue line and the Sabres would spend almost no time in the opposition's end. Unless the Sabres can find someone else to carry it into the zone, or come up with a different method besides dumping the puck in and losing on the forecheck, Max is a vital part of this team.

Max needs to move on. Period. He is as inconsistent as anyone in a Sabres' uniform, turns over the puck like it's his job, his linemates never seem to know where the heck he is going or what he doing with the puck, is a defensive liability, and has all of 10 - 10! - goals this year.

I'm sorry that I do not share your optimism about this team. But when you watch as much hockey as I have this season, just over 70 games, i think you start to see holes in the team that other occassional viewers may not see.

I've watched every Sabres' game and a couple dozen other NHL games and couldn't disagree more with most of your analysis.

Holy crap. To think this is in response to what you think are bad moves...that is just mindboggling to me. Kalinin is horrible, absolutely worthless with the emergence of Weber and Sekera. Afinogenov has been my favorite Sabre since day 1, but even I can admit has days seem to be numbered and needs a change of scenery. Hecht is one of our most solid all-around players, and had a fantastic year. He should be a mainstay on the 2nd line, why you would want to dump him is beyond me. Lastly, Adam Dennis, ...you gotta be kidding. He's horrendous, and that is a gross understatement. There's no reason to call people out to stop watching games when you don't really know anything yourself.

Max needs to move on. Period. He is as inconsistent as anyone in a Sabres' uniform, turns over the puck like it's his job, his linemates never seem to know where the heck he is going or what he doing with the puck, is a defensive liability, and has all of 10 - 10! - goals this year.

Max Afinogenov actually has a better points/game percentage this season than Jochen Hecht.

It doesn't make sense that you guys talk about these veteran leaders and how we need their leadership, how solid of a player Hecht is and he should be our solid guy on the second line, when Afinogenov is our most veteran leader on our current roster and has better statistics on offense than Hecht.

Now, I have to admit originally I thought that Hecht was a free agent at the end of the year and that we were discussing paying him a chunk of change (Must have been the exhaustion).

If it were up to me, our lines would look something like this...

Centers:

Roy

Connolly

Hecht/Free Agent

Hecht/Free Agent/ Mair

Left Wing:

Pominville

Vanek

Paille

Kaletta

Right Wing:

Bernier

Afinogenov

Kotalik

Stafford

Defensive Pairings:

Weber, Sekera

Spacek, Kalinin

Tallinder, Grandpa Teppo

Goal Tender: Ryan Miller (and for the love of christ cut Jocelyn Thibault)

Max Afinogenov actually has a better points/game percentage this season than Jochen Hecht.

It doesn't make sense that you guys talk about these veteran leaders and how we need their leadership, how solid of a player Hecht is and he should be our solid guy on the second line, when Afinogenov is our most veteran leader on our current roster and has better statistics on offense than Hecht.

Now, I have to admit originally I thought that Hecht was a free agent at the end of the year and that we were discussing paying him a chunk of change (Must have been the exhaustion).

If it were up to me, our lines would look something like this...

Centers:

Roy

Connolly

Hecht/Free Agent

Hecht/Free Agent/ Mair

Left Wing:

Pominville

Vanek

Paille

Kaletta

Right Wing:

Bernier

Afinogenov

Kotalik

Stafford

Defensive Pairings:

Weber, Sekera

Spacek, Kalinin

Tallinder, Grandpa Teppo

Goal Tender: Ryan Miller (and for the love of christ cut Jocelyn Thibault)

This is the same damn team, plus a 3rd line center, as the one that sucked all year and missed the playoffs. The defense is brutal and needs a complete overhaul. Who knows why you would bring back Teppo, and not suggest Pratt as a 3rd pair guy.

Let me break it down for you about Max. Like I said earlier, I'm as big a fan of his as there is. To compare him to Jochen Hecht and then use points per game as a determining factor is ridiculous. If Max doesn't lead Hecht by a fair margin in points, then there is a major problem. 75% of Hecht's role is defense. He's one of our top PK guys as a defensive specialist, yet he was able to pitch in with 20+ goals and center a line where Jason Pominville, whom many figured would be sh-- without Briere, went on to score 80 points. Hecht's role is absolutely essential to any team looking to make it in the playoffs, where Afinogenov, who may be speedy and dynamic, seemed to skate around and do nothing all year. I do think we'll Max a lot when he's gone, but just don't say Max > Hecht because he has more points. JP Dumont has more points than Chris Drury this year. Who would you rather have?

Wrong. Max has 28 points in 55 games, for .51 points per game. Hecht has 48 points in 74 games, or .65 points per game.

That's pretty funny, because Max is paid for offense. And he has 12 fewer goals than Hecht (who is "mediocre") and fewer goals that our resident "snipers" in Paille (19 goals in 76 games) and Stafford (who has played nine more games but has 6 more goals.)

So to recap - defensive liability, horrible turnovers, a team-worst -16, and not scoring. Why is he still here?

Well we've already shown that Hecht is outscoring Max in almost every cateogry - more G's, more A's, more PPG, a +/- that is light-years ahead of Max's, so I'll just close with the fact that being in the league a long time does not make one a veteran leader. Lindy's got a system of rotating captains - when did Max get the "C?" Heck, when did he get an "A?" He's as much a leader as the beer vendor.