McShay and Kiper

of course the value of a player is partially dictated by the position they play, what kind of athlete they are, the scarcity of that kind of athleticism or skill set.

Of course taking a fullback in the 1st 3 rounds would be a huge reach because a FB isn't sought after and veterans are always available. They aren't the elite athletes in terms of speed, agility, ect. that make-up the vast majority of the early rounds.

However wide receiver is totally a position that demands elite athleticism and taking a WR in the second who your scouts think is a pro bowler is never a reach. If they thought he was a marginal prospect, then take him where he deserves to be taken.

the experts you're citing aren't scouts - they are experts for television and paid to prognosticate as a product - they don't know nearly as much as the real scouts do

if the real scouts think that Kelly isn't worth taking at 11 and that we can trade back or take one in the 2nd, then fine. But these guys you're referring to aren't real scouts.

I never cited anyone. Check the thread. I was going on my opinion.

:thumbsup: I have posted many times- I trust the Bills doctors over TBD poster's medical opinion-even if they stayed at a Holiday Inn last night

A little more on the health of Malcolm Kelly, from none other than Dick Jauron:

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/2...on-on-okie.html

Now perhaps you can say that Jauron wouldn't dare say anything negative publicly about Kelly's knees, and I think that's probably true. However, he didn't have to say anything at all, and the fact that he gave a positive assessment of the issue instead of remaining non-committal is probably a sign that its not a problem in the Bills' eyes.

We know what media scouts say, but they have something in common - none of them are good enough to work for an NFL team. Meaning their information is virtually certain to be worse than the 32 pro teams.

The great unknown when anyone is denounced as a 'reach' by ESPN is comparatively how high that player was ranked on the draft boards around the league. We only know about the teams drafting before, not after. Donte Whitner could well have gone to Detroit, or at least, there could have been reason to believe that he would have.

Or not.

I'm guessing that you must be Malcolm Kelly's physician. Its good to know that you've examined his knees and are in a position to tell us this.

Just a disclaimer. The idiot you are quoting has previously stated that there's no way Limas Sweed will ever be healthy again, and if he is, it must be due to HGH use.

Just a disclaimer. The idiot you are quoting has previously stated that there's no way Limas Sweed will ever be healthy again, and if he is, it must be due to HGH use.

I know. I believe that he was also the one who ran with the rumor of Lynch's back problems a year ago.

Why Kelly has become the best WR prospect is beyond me. This board has become enamored of a receiver over 6'3. Height itself should not be the first quality a team looks for in a WR. There are plenty of receivers (Reggie Williams of Jacksonville comes to mind) who have the height, but will never be veritable receivers in the NFL. Separation, IMO, should be the more valuable quality.

The draft is not about filling a need for the upcoming season, no matter which round. Just because this team has distinct needs at TE and WR does not equate to drafting those positions first or second. Drafts are for the long term, not the problems of the near term.

Taking the best available should be the mantra, but I'm fairly certain the Bills will draft to fill needs as they did in 2006 and 2007. Taking Kelly in the first tells me all I need to know about the front office; specifically that the Bills are ignoring conventional wisdom and chasing their tails by drafting needs every year. Pass rushers are always at a premium, pass catchers not so much so.

Sweed may recover but the smart move is not to waste the #11 pick to find out.

There are comparable WRs in the 2nd round like Jordy Nelson and Earl Bennett who are healthy and provide similar production.

Bills should draft an impact playmaker on D at #11 like Harvey or Rivers.

The word reach is retarded, because it simply means that the so-called "experts" misjudged what the league thought of a particular player.

"Experts" use the word reach because it places blame for being incorrect on the pick and analysis on the football team and not the "expert."

Well, there is a legitimate use for the word reach, when one team takes a player that no other team would have taken near that pick, since you could have gotten him for later.

I agree though with your analysis of the way the draftniks use it.

A little more on the health of Malcolm Kelly, from none other than Dick Jauron:

http://buffalonews.typepad.com/billboard/2...on-on-okie.html

Now perhaps you can say that Jauron wouldn't dare say anything negative publicly about Kelly's knees, and I think that's probably true. However, he didn't have to say anything at all, and the fact that he gave a positive assessment of the issue instead of remaining non-committal is probably a sign that its not a problem in the Bills' eyes.

Maybe the Bills medical staff is confident they can work miracles with his legs.

However, the fact remains that Kelly has 2 knee injuries and a pretty serious muscld tears in his leg.

he is medically damaged.

He may play effectively for a while - but due to those medical problems, he has a bigger risk of producing less due to nagging or chronic problems from those injuries.

Since he is not a once in a lifetime talent, it is silly to waste the #11 pick on such a risk when there are other healthy alternataives.

Maybe the Bills medical staff is confident they can work miracles with his legs.

However, the fact remains that Kelly has 2 knee injuries and a pretty serious muscld tears in his leg.

he is medically damaged.

He may play effectively for a while - but due to those medical problems, he has a bigger risk of producing less due to nagging or chronic problems from those injuries.

Since he is not a once in a lifetime talent, it is silly to waste the #11 pick on such a risk when there are other healthy alternataives.

Fact? Based on what? Again, I suppose you're a physician and have examined Malcolm Kelly's knees personally?

He wouldn't be the first guy to ever suffer a serious knee injury in high school or college and go onto a very productive NFL career.

The word reach is retarded, because it simply means that the so-called "experts" misjudged what the league thought of a particular player.

"Experts" use the word reach because it places blame for being incorrect on the pick and analysis on the football team and not the "expert."

^^^^^

exactly!

Reach = Roscoe Parrish

Reach = Ryan Denney