Global Climate Change

• Replies 113
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Telling that the comments have been removed from the page. Why doesn't he do us all a favor and off himself now,

ok, what are the logical holes in the argument? You would have to attack his assumptions - which one?

ok, what are the logical holes in the argument? You would have to attack his assumptions - which one?

Basing any weighted conclusion on the absolute 'worst case' is a logical hole. His assumption that seas might rise 10' - 20' is ludicrous.

How come we don't spend $10 trillion building a big space laser? The worst case results of an asteroid impact on earth would be way worse than global warming.

Basing any weighted conclusion on the absolute 'worst case' is a logical hole. His assumption that seas might rise 10' - 20' is ludicrous.

How come we don't spend $10 trillion building a big space laser? The worst case results of an asteroid impact on earth would be way worse than global warming.

Does ice take up more or less room than water? Also, if all the ice melt how much more water will there be airborn, and therefore higher humity and more rain, on the inner continental areas. global warming may not be a bad thing.

I'm pretty sure Al Gore is already working on the giant space laser.

After inventing the internet, saving us from ManBearPig, and changing the earth's temperature, he'll need something to work on to keep him busy. And a giant space laser to stop asteroids and fend off aliens sounds like a good idea.

Astronomers have been tracking the larger asteroids for some time now, and can calculate ahead of time when one is on an impact trajectory, thus being able to more accurately predict if and when it will occur. And using mirrors to heat up an asteroid or ramming it with an unmanned spacecraft to change it's trajectory are the current preferred methods.

http://space.newscientist.com/article/dn12...-asteroids.html

The issue of global warming and man's influence on it is less predictible since it's unprecedented, and therefore we have to assume some worst case scientific scenarios to side with caution. Better to do too much than too little.

I'm pretty sure Al Gore is already working on the giant space laser.

After inventing the internet, saving us from ManBearPig, and changing the earth's temperature, he'll need something to work on to keep him busy. And a giant space laser to stop asteroids and fend off aliens sounds like a good idea.

OK, I was joking here but it turns out Al Gore is building an army.

Gore to recruit 10m-strong green army

· Huge drive for Congress action on global warming

· $300m TV campaign will focus on job opportunities

Suzanne Goldenberg in Washington

The Guardian, Tuesday April 1 2008

Al Gore yesterday launched a drive to mobilise 10 million volunteers to force politicians to act on climate change - twice as many as the number who marched against the Vietnam war or in support of civil rights during the heyday of US activism in the 1960s.

During the next three years, his Alliance for Climate Protection plans to spend $300m (about £150m) on television advertising and online organising to make global warming among the most urgent issues for elected American leaders.

The wecansolveit.org initiative aims to build up pressure on the next US president to support stringent mandatory emissions controls when they come before Congress, and take a leadership role at the renegotiation of the Kyoto treaty.

Environmental activists yesterday described the plan as the most ambitious public campaign launched in the US.

The holes in his assumption that we could spend trillions of dollars on global warming and our contribution to it was in fact there but so small the castrophies happend anyway, it just took longer. His assumption is that global warming is only made made.

Interested in people's take on this:

Logical analysis of climate change and what to do

I couldn't really bear up to staring at him for 8 minutes but what's the point? Being more green, whether or not global warming is a fact, is a good choice? No sh--. I get that. His next step, that it's public policy that will solve the issue (if there is one), is dubious. Public policy is often idiotic on this topic: see ethanol.

Maybe he had another point buried in his obviously academic punnett square.

The holes in his assumption that we could spend trillions of dollars on global warming and our contribution to it was in fact there but so small the castrophies happend anyway, it just took longer. His assumption is that global warming is only made made.

no, you misunderstood the argument. You are arguing the rows and not the columns. That was his point.

no, you misunderstood the argument. You are arguing the rows and not the columns. That was his point.

Has anyone ever calculated the carbon footprint of an eight-minute youtube video? Is it more or less than the carbon footprint of all those !@#$ing empty soda cans behind him? :thumbsup:

Has anyone ever calculated the carbon footprint of an eight-minute youtube video? Is it more or less than the carbon footprint of all those !@#$ing empty soda cans behind him? :thumbsup:

I think it's remarkable that 90% of YouTube is morons zooming a camera in on their own face so that they can lip synch a song they like, or talk so they can try (and fail) to be funny or important.

And apparently the lip synching thing is considered really funny if you happen to be an Asian male. Could someone explain the appeal of this?

I ask again, are these folks considering that when ice melts it takes about 9 or 10 less space. Also, there is a lot of sediment that will stay in place. If we did have global warming and melting of the ice caps, I don't believe a 20 foot rise in water. In fact, seeing as most people think that 90 percent of a burg is below water, I won't venture to say it is a push at best and maybe even a lowering of costal water levels as more water evaporates into the air. I suspect a rise in global humidity, but rising waters doubtful.

Yeah, we could be spending three trillion on a useless "War" instead.