I hope Jeffrey Littmann sleeps well at night

Ralph has been loyal to Buffalo throughout the years but hands down his biggest mistake was listening to Littmann and running off the best G.M. this organization ever had. The Colts are smart to back up the Brinks truck to this guy.

As much as I loved 'Battling Bill, he exacerbated the problems that ultimately led to his exit. I believe he's admitted as much in recent years as he's mellowed a bit. C'est la vie....

As much as I loved 'Battling Bill, he exacerbated the problems that ultimately led to his exit. I believe he's admitted as much in recent years as he's mellowed a bit. C'est la vie....

Still Polian was clearly the best we ever had and is one of the best in the league. Ralph blew it.

Hey Ralph ... Never listen to your accountant on matters that have nothing to do with accounting.

Losing Bill Polian was probably the single biggest mistake the Bills have ever made.

Thanks Jeff Littman.

Somehow Littman's involvement in Polians termination escaped me. What's the story?

That is really the "inside" story. No secret that Bill was "battling" with a lot of people when he was here. Compare it to your own job. You could be a STAR, but if you cannot get along with people in the organization, your days are numbered. I've seen it a few times in my history

That is really the "inside" story. No secret that Bill was "battling" with a lot of people when he was here. Compare it to your own job. You could be a STAR, but if you cannot get along with people in the organization, your days are numbered. I've seen it a few times in my history

I wish I had a link but they ran a article in the Indianapolis Magazine talking about Polian. They mentioned that when he was fired from Buffalo that Marv Levy went to Ralph to plead Bill's case. Marv said something like Ralph he is the best in the business, the best talent evaluator, the best architecht at putting a team together. Ralph said.. Marv.. I know. I just dont get along with the man. I cant stand him. basically the article was talking about how Irsay has been a buffer between Bill Polian and the rest of the world.

I will try and find the article and provide a link. It was an interesting read.

Somehow Littman's involvement in Polians termination escaped me. What's the story?

One of the big issues between the Polian and Littman was the Corny Bennett contract. Littman wanted to approve it and Polian bypassed him. Littman also got in the way of Polian trying to restructure Will Woolford and we ended up losing him to free agency (one of the first major FA signings). Bill's testiness with the beancounter, who'd worked for Ralph a long, long time escalated from there.

NYT article.

I wish I had a link but they ran a article in the Indianapolis Magazine talking about Polian. They mentioned that when he was fired from Buffalo that Marv Levy went to Ralph to plead Bill's case. Marv said something like Ralph he is the best in the business, the best talent evaluator, the best architecht at putting a team together. Ralph said.. Marv.. I know. I just dont get along with the man. I cant stand him. basically the article was talking about how Irsay has been a buffer between Bill Polian and the rest of the world.

I will try and find the article and provide a link. It was an interesting read.

I cant find the link. I am sure people here are more savy than I am. It was in the Indianapolis Monthly September issue. The article is named The Passion of Bill Polian.

That brings back memories, I used to love that commercial. The Bills were so badass back in the day. I also love kevin greene with the short hair, priceless.

"Lets ask big Jeff Wright...right?

ripping off facemask "Right!"

Anyone else remember that McDonalds commercial? Was it the Mclean Deluxe?

Anyways welcome Jeff. Agreed on Polian. Butler I'm 40/60.

HAAAAAA here it is!!!!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=urgwOC9hAyU

awesome!

Simple. Littman was concerned about the bottom line. Polian wanted to field the best team possible.

Guess what won Ralph over?

Can you say "cash to cap"?

There is far more to the story, from what I understand. There wasn't one single reason why Ralph let Polian go, rather there were a number of issues. Polian was a rather unlikeable guy, it seems, and clashed with many people at OBD. Ralph isn't big on arrogant bullies. I'm surprised he put up with TD as long as he did.

I'm certainly not suggesting that Ralph was right to fire Polian, as I don't have all the details. But, to look back and trash Ralph for firing BP simply because Wilson is cheap, is probably an oversimplification of what actually transpired.

Ralph isn't big on arrogant bullies. I'm surprised he put up with TD as long as he did.

No comparison between those two, IMO.

Polian would look you in the eye and tell you when he thought you were full of sh--. TD would smile and do the "aw shucks, maybe you're right" routine and then do what he wanted when no one was looking...

No comparison between those two, IMO.

Polian would look you in the eye and tell you when he thought you were full of sh--. TD would smile and do the "aw shucks, maybe you're right" routine and then do what he wanted when no one was looking...

I'm not suggesting they were exactly the same. but, both were arrogant and rubbed people the wrong way. As for being "straight", didn't you suggest that Polian "by passed" Littman on a deal?

I think the NY Times article you linked had the best summary:

But this was not a case of an unhappy owner with a winning-is-everything philosophy. Rather, there were long-standing differences between the 50-year-old Polian and the people who worked for 74-year-old Ralph Wilson, the Bills' owner.

There is far more to the story, from what I understand. There wasn't one single reason why Ralph let Polian go, rather there were a number of issues. Polian was a rather unlikeable guy, it seems, and clashed with many people at OBD.

Pretty much what I posted, the same story