Pilot's gun accidentally fires on a US Airways flight

http://news.yahoo.com/s/ap/20080325/ap_on_re_us/gun_on_plane

Look at the last line in this:

"If that bullet had compromised the shell of the airplane, i.e., gone through a window, the airplane could have gone down," he said.

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FALSE! Has this guy ever seen Mythbusters?! They proved that a small hole from a fire gun into the fuselage (and they fired INTO A WINDOW) will NOT disrupt the aircraft and not cause explosive decompression. Is this guy serious!? :)

THAT'S ABSOLUTELY FALSE! Has this guy ever seen Mythbusters?! They proved that a small hole from a fire gun into the fuselage (and they fired INTO A WINDOW) will NOT disrupt the aircraft and not cause explosive decompression. Is this guy serious!? :)

Are you saying that our media are fallible? Ill-informed? More interested in sensationalizing circumstances than reporting the facts?! Say it ain't so! :nana:

He's just lucky he didn't shoot his @#$$# off.

It didn't say "cause explosive decompression". It said "cause the airplane to go down". A sudden loss of cabin pressure can cause an airplane to crash. I believe it's happened before.

The only way a bullet hole ccould cause the plane to go down would be is if it was in a hydraulic line, shattered the windshield, or in some vital equipment. Mythbusters showe that breaking the side window doesn't suck someone out.

The only way a bullet hole ccould cause the plane to go down would be is if it was in a hydraulic line, shattered the windshield, or in some vital equipment. Mythbusters showe that breaking the side window doesn't suck someone out.

It was on a TV show so the case is closed. :lol:

Episode 10: Explosive Decompression, Frog Giggin', Rear Axle

Jamie and Adam drove out to an airplane graveyard in the Mojave Desert and found an old passenger jet that they sealed up and pressurize. They also placed crash test dummy Buster in a passenger seat at ground zero for their series of experiments: 1) Firing a handgun through the skin of the aircraft. Result: nothing happened. Buster didn't even flinch. 2) Firing a handgun through the window of the aircraft. Result: same as before, nothing happened.

Remember Aloha Airlines?

Part of the design of the 737 was for stress to be alleviated by controlled area breakaway zones. The intent was to provide controlled depressurization that would maintain the integrity of the fuselage structure.

Yup and and I grew up in the 70's frustrated I wasn't a hippy of the 60's. However I would never trust my judgement when busting myths. :D

I wouldn't take their show as gospel, either...but those guys are pretty good about trying to be rigorous.

But the particular episode OBF is talking about...you can't say a plane in the air won't crash from compromising its integrity based on a test of explosive decompression on the !@#$ing ground!!! They weren't testing to see if the plane would crash, OBF. :beer: