ESPN & BattleBots

Ok last month I posted that ESPN and Battlebots signed a contract to bring back the sport! HOORAY!!!!!! But get this, instead of hosting the competition this summer like they planned, they got so much interest from professional bot builders and colleges that the pushed it back to mid November to make sure everyone has enough time. THIS IS GOING BE UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME (not surprising)! My favorite show is coming back after 6 years on the shelf! YAHOOOO! <_<

http://www.battlebots.com/news_home.asp#espn2

And also:

In 2008, the company announced a new contract with ESPN for a competition to be held late in the year, with competitors coming from at least 160 colleges. Indeed, interest from colleges was so great that the organizers were forced to delay the competition until November 2008.

New competition on ESPN

In February 2008, BattleBots announced that ESPN had offered to broadcast a "Collegiate BattleBots Championship" competition limited to a single 160-pound weightclass to be held during the summer of 2008. Plans call for a "professional" 220-pound class tournament to be filmed at the same time, but the broadcast deal is for the college teams only. The competition has been delayed until November because of the large interest from college teams.

Ok.......I'm good.

Ok last month I posted that ESPN and Battlebots signed a contract to bring back the sport! HOORAY!!!!!! But get this, instead of hosting the competition this summer like they planned, they got so much interest from professional bot builders and colleges that the pushed it back to mid November to make sure everyone has enough time. THIS IS GOING BE UNBELIEVABLY AWESOME (not surprising)! My favorite show is coming back after 6 years on the shelf! YAHOOOO! <_<

http://www.battlebots.com/news_home.asp#espn2

And also:

Calm down deep breaths.

Lets just say one of my top 3. Come on people. Have you ever seen the show (though it was 6 years ago)?

The Comedy Central show was a total bore, IMO. Terrible announcers (Sean Salisbury for a season), bimbo "sideline" reporters and dull "behind the scenes" reports on the geeks and their bots. The battle itself was almost an after-thought.

When it came to the actual bouts, they, too, became fairly dull, after a while. It became a war of low-to-the-ground armored machines. Not particularly exciting.

The classifications (lightweight, middleweight, etc) may not be the best way for this event. Walking machines (stomp-bots) would be far more interesting to watch, but they don't stand much of a chance against the low-profile bots. Also real ROBOTS might be interesting to see. This is really a battle between remote controlled machines, not robots.

The Comedy Central show was a total bore, IMO. Terrible announcers (Sean Salisbury for a season), bimbo "sideline" reporters and dull "behind the scenes" reports on the geeks and their bots. The battle itself was almost an after-thought.

When it came to the actual bouts, they, too, became fairly dull, after a while. It became a war of low-to-the-ground armored machines. Not particularly exciting.

The classifications (lightweight, middleweight, etc) may not be the best way for this event. Walking machines (stomp-bots) would be far more interesting to watch, but they don't stand much of a chance against the low-profile bots. Also real ROBOTS might be interesting to see. This is really a battle between remote controlled machines, not robots.

I have an idea for a team. We get a few members here to man fake remote Controls, and we get Oneonta dressed up in a robot suit to smash the "robots" in the ring. We can call him Awesomo 4000

The classifications (lightweight, middleweight, etc) may not be the best way for this event. Walking machines (stomp-bots) would be far more interesting to watch, but they don't stand much of a chance against the low-profile bots.

Exactly. It became a contest of who could build a wedge lowest to the ground.